Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-18-2020, 02:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default New Car buying experience

With all the talk about electric vehicles lately, I have been doing some research. I realize this is a sore subject for some, but for me, I am ready to embrace some of the new technology.

Sherri and I commute 22 miles to work together 99% of the time. Every once in a while we need to take two cars, but that is rare.

A few years ago I bought a really cheap beater Prius, just to see what hybrid life was like. It wasn’t horrible, but unless you put some gas in it, it isn’t going anywhere.... period. We did average 48 mpg overall, but 18 of those 22 commuter miles are highway; and a hybrid really shines around town. The highway? Not so much. Besides, if you have ever driven a Prius, they are so “mushy”. Don’t know how else to describe it.

Then I started looking at plug in electrics. First, pretty darn expensive for what I consider a limited use car. Regardless of how the day starts off, if you have to go a lot farther than you planned, then what? Just wasn’t ready to deal with range anxiety. Besides, if I have that car for commuting, that means I need at least one other daily driver for longer trips. This might not apply if you live in a predominantly urban area, and aren’t planning to leave town. But, we live in Oklahoma; still lots of wide open spaces. If I want to hit the highway to go to a Red Sox game in Arlington, the electric might get me there, but then I have to find a place to charge it and sit around before I can come home. Even with the draw backs, I was still considering an EV. One of my best friends owns a Buick / Cad / GMC dealership. I sent him a text asking if Buick had plans for an EV based on the Bolt platform. He wasn’t sure, but expected an announcement at the next big meeting in Vegas (which of course has now been canceled).

Hmmm. What about a plug in hybrid? Started doing some research. These have the option to plug into a standard 110 outlet overnight to fully charge the HV battery. On that charge alone you can drive a limited distance (anywhere from 20 to 35 miles) meaning that you use zero gasoline for short trips; something the regular hybrids cannot do. However, the plug in hybrid still has gas engine, so you can go as far as you want with just regular fill ups at the pump. And, some of them are incredibly fuel efficient. A true dual purpose car. On top of that, some are cheaper than the “all electric” vehicles. The plug in hybrids also allow for two (2) tax credits. They aren’t as big as the full EV tax credits. The fed and State together (at least here in OK) works out to be over $6000. Hmm, the Gov. will help pay for my new car? Did some more research and discovered that there was a pretty decent looking alternative made by Hyundai; the Ioniq. It isn’t so crazy full of angles and wings that it looks like a space ship. It comes in EV, hybrid and plug in hybrid. Unlike the Prius, it has a real dual clutch transmission (instead of the really vague CVT). One of the “complaints” I heard was that it was sprung too stiff. Now we are talking. I love stiffly sprung cars. In fact my SL55 AMG has an aftermarket set of coil overs that make it stiffer than Sherri’s M Roadster. Fully charged, you can go 32 miles at up to 75 mph without using a drop of gas. That means I can drive to work; plug it in while I am working, drive it home and not use a drop of gas, even if we run an errand or two. Nine days out of ten, that is our commuting routine. Still, if we get an emergency call, we can drive cross country without having to go home and change cars. And, Hyundai warrants the HV battery to the original purchaser for life. That is one of the huge draw backs of the Prius. The HV battery pack is so expensive, that if you figure in the cost, you will spend just about the same amount you thought you saved in gasoline for 10 years!!!!

So, I go on the web site for our local Hyundai dealer. Zero Ioniq plug-ins for sale. That’s weird. A little further investigation reveals that only a few States (originally only three, now up to five or six) sell the Ioniq plug in. Bummer. Deal over.

Sunday, out of the blue, I thought I would check again. Turned out that one of the Megadealers here in OKC (way on the South side of OKC, ... we live North of the metro, but still, I can get there in half an hour) had two of them for sale. Bob Howard, Hyundai (I think he owns 15 different car dealerships in OK). Talked to Sherri and she was game to at least go drive it and see if she liked it. After all, I have the supercharged AMG, the turbocharged BMW (not to mention the 69 Z, the 70 LT-1 and multiple other fun cars, so its only fair that she pick out our commuter car. Checked last night, and they still had one. It was just the base model, but this is just a commuter car; I don’t need all the super cool (and more expensive) stuff. So we made an appointment. Sticker price was $26,500. They had it listed as an on line special at $21,900. I am thinking: “no way”. Even if they do have one, and even if they honor that price, it must be a giant POS. Thought I might have to sign over the tax credit to them to get that discounted price.

On the way there, Sherri asks if this car has heated seats. “That’s a deal killer for me” she says if it doesn’t . I tell her the on line pic clearly showed switches for heated seats. We will see.

We get there, and the car is still in stock. The salesman (Ali, a young fellow from Egypt who has been here 14 years) brings the car around so Sherri can take it for a drive. It has 5 miles on it. It really is a nice looking little sedan. Looks smaller than a Prius, but has more interior room. We take it for a drive. Right into the first turn Sherri says: “this thing handles very nicely.” Mind you she can be pretty aggressive. But the combo of the slightly stiff suspension and the HV battery being at the very bottom of the car lowering the CG made it feel more like a German built car. It even had Michelin tires on it from the factory. It isn’t something she is going to autocross. Still, I wanted her to be happy behind the wheel. And frankly, when we drive to work I am usually driving.

I ask Ali how in the world an OKC Hyundai dealer ended up with two Ioniqs for sale. He said they had even more. The manager made a fleet order from a dealer in CA. They were not intended to be sold one at a time. In fact, our window sticker says “NOT FOR SALE” on it. It was a way of getting around the allocation restrictions by State. Turns out they really HAD intended to sell as a fleet, but plans changed, and they ended up selling them one at a time. It is a left over 2019, but virtually identical to the 2020. This one was the last one. The one they sold yesterday went to a couple who came from Missouri to purchase it.

We sit down, and sure enough the price is $21,900. I get to keep the tax credits. Of course with taxes, doc fees, etc. the total comes to just a tic over $23,000. But, the gov. is paying $6k and some change, so I am figuring the REAL price is about $17,000. Less than a new Suburban was in 1985. That’s 35 years ago!!!

We went ahead and traded in Sherri’s Lexus (they came within $1000 of what I wanted for it... plus now I don’t have to mess with selling it). I was ready to write a check for the balance, but they asked us to please finance it. I agree, as long as there is no prepayment penalty.

Of course, you know the REAL reason they want you to finance is so they can start adding things on. First, they offer you an outrageously expensive extended warranty (it is already warranted for 10 years). It costs over $3000. I decline. Then they have another extended warranty that is about half the price of the first one. I decline. The guy is very polite, and just writes us up.

Sherri is really happy with this car. Yes, it has heated seats. And for a strippo, quite a few other features. Lane control, adaptive cruise (I remember when that was like a $3000 option for MB) power windows, a place to plug in your Apple phone and use the phone’s Nav system, and more gadgets than I will ever use.

We got home and plugged it in. I won’t use a drop of gas going to the office tomorrow. I am not ready, nor will I ever be ready, to give up my ICE cars. I don’t foresee a future when the Gov. wants to take them away. I love living in the past... once in a while. Last Saturday I took the Z for an aggressive drive, then drove the turbo BMW just for fun, and lastly couldn’t resist short drives in the LT-1 and the Opel GT. So I still embrace the past. But, you gotta love the future.

Sherri made the comment a while ago: “That was a very pleasant buying experience.” It really was. Everyone was respectful, it went smoothly, and we were in and out in less than two hours. Her car is white.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/veh...plug-in-hybrid
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-18-2020, 03:32 AM

Well told story Lynn. Thanks for sharing.

Jason
Old 03-18-2020, 01:34 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Agreed. Hyundai and Kia have changed over the years. Hyundai used to have the crappiest cars-not anymore! We rented an Elantra on our trip to Canada a few years ago and were so impressed-that since we were already ready to get a new car, we ended up buying a new Sonata (a bigger version of the Elantra). The Sonata has gotten 41 + miles per gallon on trips to SoCal-and has a cruising range of 570+ miles.

It has every feature that you could want-the window stick was almost $28,000-but we got it out the door at a shade less than $20,000 with no trade in-as it was "aged" had been on the lot for 100+ days-so Hyundai was also offering an incentive to sell. The car had 4 miles on it-so not a lot of test drives. We dealt with the internet guy solely through email, until we actually went to the dealership. We financed it and will be paying it off early.

We are very happy with the purchase. We originally wanted a Kia Optima-but they were more expensive (?-parent company of Kia is Hyundai) and the Optima had way more road noise.

The reason that we wanted a Kia originally is that we have a Kia Soul that now has 228,000 miles that we use for our daily commuter car. Still going strong and oil changed once a month (or sooner, depending on mileage).

Our 2007 Chevy Silverado that we bought new (and has 105,000miles) sits in the garage and waits for purposeful trips (to the dump, Home Depot, etc).

Congrats on the new car Lynn!
Old 03-18-2020, 03:49 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 662 Posts

Just to add, my business partner leased a Kia K900 as they had killer leases in 2016: Absolutely zero, none, zilch money down (not one cent at closing) and $399 a month for 36 months on a loaded out K900 (their largest sedan with a 420 hp V8 and all the latest tech), which i think had a sticker of almost $60K. Had it for 3 totally trouble free years. I told him he should buy it out and keep it but he wanted a truck to tow his boat. Just a beautiful car that you'd never think was a Kia.
John 10:30

Last edited by markinnaples; 03-18-2020 at 03:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to markinnaples For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (03-18-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 06:02 PM

After a week of driving, the gas motor has only come on three times. One cold morning it came on I assume to get the heater going. I have not checked to see of it has supplemental electric heating element.

The first day we drove it, we had a bunch of errands to run, and had to go by the Court house, so we exceeded the range of total electric power.

Went into "power" mode (a generous description to be sure) getting on the interstate on an up hill ramp. Even on a relatively short up hill ramp, I still did not have any issue reaching 75 before merging in with traffic.

Nice and warm this morning, and never had to gun it, so the gas motor never came on.
We get this cute little read out summary of each trip when we turn off the car. Here is what it looked like. I realize 999 miles per gallon is just the max readout number available. I also realize that doesn't take into consideration what they refer to as Emiles per gallon, which is a direct correlation of amount of electricity used. I will figure those out after I get my handy dandy electricity monitor so I can see exactly how much electricity I am using to recharge the HV battery. Just thought it was funny; and we could all use a little laughter right now.
Attached Images

Xplantdad (03-24-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:44 PM

Wouldn't you know it. This is the very first car I ever bought brand new.

At 10 days old we get hail damage. It stays in the garage at home but is subjected to Mother Nature's wrath at the office. She is a bitch.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:03 PM

We need a "bummer" button! Sorry to hear that. At least it was not a brand new vette!
/R
Old 03-30-2020, 10:52 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Sorry to hear, Lynn
Old 03-30-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
After a week of driving, the gas motor has only come on three times. One cold morning it came on I assume to get the heater going. I have not checked to see of it has supplemental electric heating element.

The first day we drove it, we had a bunch of errands to run, and had to go by the Court house, so we exceeded the range of total electric power.

Went into "power" mode (a generous description to be sure) getting on the interstate on an up hill ramp. Even on a relatively short up hill ramp, I still did not have any issue reaching 75 before merging in with traffic.

Nice and warm this morning, and never had to gun it, so the gas motor never came on.
We get this cute little read out summary of each trip when we turn off the car. Here is what it looked like. I realize 999 miles per gallon is just the max readout number available. I also realize that doesn't take into consideration what they refer to as Emiles per gallon, which is a direct correlation of amount of electricity used. I will figure those out after I get my handy dandy electricity monitor so I can see exactly how much electricity I am using to recharge the HV battery. Just thought it was funny; and we could all use a little laughter right now.
Lynn,

Does it have air and what happens when and if you turn on? Sluggish and does the engine turn on for it to run?

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Old 03-31-2020, 03:26 AM

Yes it has air, and it works very well. We set a new record high last Thursday at 93, but were very comfortable in the car cruising at 75.

I believe the compressor runs off the HV battery, and you can't even tell when it comes on. Even if you are sitting at a stop, I can't hear ANYTHING when I turn it on. I turned it on while accelerating and couldn't even feel it. So, it uses a bit more battery power, but our 18 mile commute doesn't even come close to using up all the reserved power for pure EV mode.

I think I said 22 mile commute in my original post, but that was a guess.... now I am actually paying attention... besides, when I shut it off each time it tells me exactly how far that trip was.... so I don't have to keep track of the odometer to see how far the commute is.