Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Barrett-Jackson 2008.....

[/ QUOTE ]

The hammer looked like it was going to come down at around $38K...then it got a second wind. Looked like a nice car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it just me or has anyone noticed the increased block time these cars seem to be getting this year?I know the pace is slower the first few days but this must obviously be a fall-out over the Ramchargers fiasco last year.
If you look closely,the auctioneer holds the hammer up until Craig Jackson gives a slight nod.
I don't think anyone can complain about short-selling so far this year...

'69 Z/28 Yellow/Aug '07 CHP cover car
'70 Z/28 R/S Orange/Jan '08 CHP featured car
'70 Chevelle SS454 LS-5 Red/Jan '11 CHP cover car
Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, considering the 70-81 Trans Am's were FAR better cars, with more power, better handling, better build quality, and nicer interiors than 70-81 Z/28's, I guess that puts the 70-81 Camaros and Z/28's just beneath the AMC Pacers and Gremlins on the old hiearchy chart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have owned 4 2nd gen Trans Ams and I agree that the 2nd gen T/A was a better handling car than the Camaro but the only people I can see prefering the valour interior are pimps and John Travolta whannabees. The turbo cars may have had more horsepower than the stock LM1 Camaros but everyone knew that all you needed were headers, a cam and an aluminium intake to get the car into mid to low 14's. We even kept the stock rear, crappy heads and Rochester on them.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

In a 1979 Issue of Car Craft, that I believe I still have around, they took a bare bones (no p/w, no t-tops, no a/c etc) 79 Trans Am WS6 400 4 speed car with a 3.42 posi, and I believe they got it to go high 13's stone stock! If thats not badass for 1979 standards, I don't know what is!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have owned 4 2nd gen Trans Ams and I agree that the 2nd gen T/A was a better handling car than the Camaro but the only people I can see prefering the valour interior are pimps and John Travolta whannabees. The turbo cars may have had more horsepower than the stock LM1 Camaros but everyone knew that all you needed were headers, a cam and an aluminium intake to get the car into mid to low 14's. We even kept the stock rear, crappy heads and Rochester on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhmmm....yeah....I guess modifying a Z/28 with headers, cam, and intake, and leaving a Turbo Trans Am dead stock, is fair.

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 PM

Thanked 1,998 Times in 507 Posts

I'm not sure we're ever going to see Talladegas and Spoiler II's catch fire. They're unique and cool, to be sure, but I think FoMoCo's decision to build them in big, homogenous batches limits their overall appeal. ALL the Spoiler II's are 351/FMX auto cars, which is certainly not an awe-inspiring drivetrain. The Talladegas do better with their standard 428CJ, an awesome engine for sure, but all are column shift C6 autos. That swoopy body, then you open the door to that mundane bench seat interior.

I know they don't all have to be purple 4 speeds, but there's simply not enough variety to make it interesting. With Spoiler II's you really only get to search out blue stripes or red (Dan Gurney or Cale Yarborough editions, respectively). You get a couple of color choices with Talladegas (burgandy, dk blue, white), but that's about it.

Imagine if all of the Charger Daytonas were white 383/autos with red or blue tail stripes. Or if all the Superbirds were column shifted 440-4bbls with 14x6 Magnum 500s in White, medium blue, and maroon. That market certainly wouldn't be as much fun.

Conversely, imagine a world where there's a few Talladegas finished in Calypso Coral or Competition Yellow, fitted with buckets/consoles and 428SCJ/4spd drivetrains. Or maybe a special run of 50 Boss 429 powered Spoiler II's (some of which aren't white!). That market suddenly gets a lot more interesting.

I don't think you can call it a "Ford" thing anymore, not with these '70/'71 429CJ cars suddenly bringing 6 figures. There aren't many secrets left out there. The people pay for what they want....
Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hammer looked like it was going to come down at around $38K...then it got a second wind. Looked like a nice car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it just me or has anyone noticed the increased block time these cars seem to be getting this year?I know the pace is slower the first few days but this must obviously be a fall-out over the Ramchargers fiasco last year.
If you look closely,the auctioneer holds the hammer up until Craig Jackson gives a slight nod.
I don't think anyone can complain about short-selling so far this year...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I have observed the same thing. Seems like the Auctioneers are wringing every last $ out of the cars, and that is a good thing.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:53 PM

Tom, I agree. However, I don't think limiting the Talledega's and Spoiler II's to a few color choices is what's holding them back. I think it's their drivetrain, coupled with the fact that they weren't very well known as boulevard brawlers back in the day.

If limited color choices was a factor, I would think that a 70 Stage 1 Buick would be more valuable than a 70 GSX, and an 87 T-Type Buick would be more sought after than an 87 Grand National.

I think it's just that collectors have largely ignored the aero cars, outside of the famous winged wonders from Chrylser.

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 PM

I thought the prices for the first couple of nights seemed off. Some of the cars I thought would bring good money didnt. I couldnt believe the turbo t/a brought that much money.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 PM

110k for a non RS 71Z28..up from here?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:44 PM

Mark,what was the mileage on that Z?