Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 PM

Default Any Ideas on Engine Starting Problem?

I live in Los Angeles and have a 69 RS/SS Convertible and am having engine starting problems. Here is what is happening: Sometimes when I go to start the car in the morning, or after I have already driven awhile I am unable to get the car to start-up. I turn the key and I only get is a single "click" which sounds like a relay or the starter solenoid or maybe something else. The engine does not crank over. If I have someone give me a "jump" with their battery I can start the car. My battery is new and is fully charged (I even changed it to make sure it wasn't the battery) and my starter and solenoid are new too (I even changed that again to isolate the issue). I still have the same problem, namely even if I get the car started, once I get to my location and shut the engine off, all I get is the single "click" sound. Someone suggested changing the ignition switch and/or the horn relay. Any ideas on what may be causing this?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Any Ideas on Engine Starting Problem?

Voltage regulator may not be doing its job. Have you measured your voltage once started? You should be getting 14+ volts.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 PM

Next time you experience this problem, have someone bang on the starter with a mallet or some blunt object while you are trying to start the car. If it cranks over & starts, sounds to me like you have a bad spot on your starter motor.

Bill
Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 PM

Sounds like a ground problem to me or a loose wire some where?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Block Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next time you experience this problem, have someone bang on the starter with a mallet or some blunt object while you are trying to start the car. If it cranks over &amp; starts, sounds to me like you have a bad spot on your starter motor.

Bill </div></div>

I 2nd that idea.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 PM

He already said both the starter and solenoid were replaced already, plus a new battery and the problem still persists.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:38 PM

I would take the starter off and bench test it. You could have to bad starters. Make sure the wiring and the wire ends are in good condition as well.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:33 PM

Wiring and ends at the starter were checked and I even put a new connector on the solenoid (small black wire). If it's a poor ground, is there a specific place I should be checking? So no on the horn relay? Anybody know of a place in Los Angeles that I can have it checked out at? Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 12:27 AM

What cross streets are you near? I can ask my partner if he will check it out for you. His day job is in Beverly Hills.

JB
Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: musclecar fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wiring and ends at the starter were checked and I even put a new connector on the solenoid (small black wire). If it's a poor ground, is there a specific place I should be checking? So no on the horn relay? Anybody know of a place in Los Angeles that I can have it checked out at? Thanks </div></div>

Do you have all of the braided copper ground straps that connect the firewall to the back of the block and the block to the subframe? Also, use some rolled up sandpaper to clean the insides of the battery terminal connectors as well as the terminals themselves. Then tighten the terminals securely. I've had the exact same problem in the past when the ground fails to complete the circuit after initially arcing across the gap of a poor battery to cable contact.

Also, do you have the aftermarket, replacement bolt-on ends on your battery cables? Sometimes the same problem occurs when the copper cable-to-metal end, contact breaks down.