Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2023, 01:00 PM

Default Help on determining value of 842 heads.

I am trying to get some input on selling a set of 842 big block heads. I don't even mean a specific price but rather a comparison of how they compare to original 842 heads.

Here is the deal. These heads are fresh with good parts and have never been damaged or welded. They have no modifications to the ports or chambers orhere than a light radiysing of the intake port opening to match an aftermarket intake of simular size.

Here is the bad. I think these heads are later service replacement heads,maybe as late as 1970 and don't have the casting plugs on the ends of them which were found on the pre early 69 version. Second the exterior was polished and it removed the snowflakes.

I work at a high end race engine shop and the heads are there all fresh with brand new parts and ready to go. I will post pictures of part of them when I return to work on Monday. I see that mint 842 heads with early dates are selling for big money. My question is could I get 1/2 or even as little as 1/3 of those kind of prices or would the later dates (I am not 100% sure on that) and lack of snowflakes make them worth a lot less even if I can blast them to look cast?

I have seen mint early heads for north of 4k. I see that cheap aftermarket heads are over $1500 and aren't correct in any way for a restoration. Could I get 2k for them since they are bolt on and ready to run real GM heads?
Attachments - The Supercar Registry L89 heads.jpg L89 heads end.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...