Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-01-2013, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Supercar Registry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dedicated to the promotion and preservation of the Chevrolet dealer built Supercars and COPO cars.

From the front page of Yenko.net</div></div>

So that means L-88 Corvettes/LS-6 Chevelle et al, for the purpose of registration on this site, are not defined as Supercars as they were not modified by dealerships and are not COPO's?

Nor any non-Chevrolet car as well?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bergy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ultimately, it would be great to have a public registry (think Shelby Registry), but that is way down the road. The site will acknowledge cars that are officially registered. </div></div>
Good concept, but I'm curious on the execution. Any info on the general concept (i.e. what would be online)?
I've looked for the Shelby Registry, but I don't see much public info - just submission forms. So I'm not quite sure how accessible that registry is.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

The Shelby registry is in print and is huge. They publish it about every 15 years or so and it includes all know info on all the cars they know about. All known owners, sales,wrecks,options etc. Great info.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 PM

Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Thanked 1,597 Times in 491 Posts

Will this registry include the 4th generation dealer built Camaros...Berger, Tom Henry, etc??
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 PM

Thanked 1,113 Times in 327 Posts

Good questions Kurt - the Shelby Registry was first published in 1973 and was only 24 pages long. As Charley posted above, the latest iteration is contained in 2 volumes with nearly 3,000 total pages (and that's only the &quot;public&quot; portion). The point is that it was started with very humble beginnings by a few enthusiasts, and grew into a huge document that truly enhances the legacy and value of the cars. It also immortalizes the owners/restorers/caretakers of the cars. My name is shown as former owner of several of the cars - I have seen Charley's name mentioned in there as well. Shelby did have the advantage of factory production records, but the effort was started without any ability to decipher the records. I'm a &quot;vision&quot; guy with a bent for data - my vision for this project is huge, but it depends on data. That's where the community comes in. We obviously need registrations to make a registry meaningful. There have been a good number of requests for registration forms so far. Keep it up - there's only one way to honestly say that your car is included in the Supercar Registry!
Also, I am just the data collector and first registrar right now. I don't want or need any credit for this project. I'll collect data until it overwhelms me (hopefully). It'll take a lot of dedicated, unselfish people to make this happen. How about if we open registrations up to cars through 1970 for now. Shelby started with only Cobras, and grew into the inclusion of later cars. Thoughts???
Old 10-02-2013, 06:10 AM

Thanks Charlie. I thought the Shelby registry was public in some form, but had never seen the books before.
Impressive. Helps to have the docs behind those cars, but there are also docs out there for the Yenkos, so you're not starting with a blank slate.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 PM

The Shelby registry used to be one book and it was published in 1997. Now it is the two books pictured and a third one is still being written to cover 1968 and up.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:20 PM

I would say at least through 1973 if the focus is more on the older supercars. There were a number of Baldwin Motion Camaros, Chevelles, and Vegas built in the '71-73 period that certainly meet the site's definition of a supercar.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:45 PM

PM sent to Bergy and snail mailed some &quot;stuff&quot;, too.