Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 01:16 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Besides, who doesn't like a screaming small block. Here's one Jeff built for the South West Tour Nascar series. Only 9:1 compression and 353ci. https://youtu.be/Sh8RjkwuiTs If you don't like listening to this, check your pulse.

Now that's a lil' old whine maker ... awesome sound!!
L72Biscayne (12-18-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:34 AM

Thats the problem Tommy!The cars are on the track!Forget the stands and watch the cars.I dont know how many realize how evil the cup cars are.Even when they take them to 550HP they run 200.If you ever get a chance to drive the school cars it will open your eyes.I have about 30 plus laps at Vegas.I dragged raced for 10 year,held many AHRA records and I just dont have the balls to keep my foot on the floor going into the corners.I had dinner with Dale Sn 2 weeks before he died.Because of my job I got to meet and spend time with many of the drivers and pretty much spent my days at the track in the pits.Watch the road races and watch them carry the front wheels around the corners.The car for 21 is getting bigger wider tires and rims,IRS suspension and more modern improvements.I got to spend a day at TRD and watch them run a race on a engine dyno,happened to be a road course and it was assume listing to the loading and unloading of the engines and the gear changes.We are REALLY in the best days of "stock car"racing.People talk about running what we drive,the genie is out of the bottle and not going back.We dont kill drivers anymore thank God but they know when they go upside down and barrel roll at 200 it might be there last race.Spend some time this year and watch a few races,watch the end of the stages when they all lose their minds and would move their grand mother for a couple Xtra positions.Enough of me.Tom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tjs44 For This Useful Post:
300deluxeL79 (12-12-2019), L72Biscayne (12-18-2019), Tommy (12-13-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Anyone who has watched NASCAR for as long as I have knows that it's not the same sport as it once was. Back in the 70's the cars basically used a stock production body and you could actually tell what kind of car a driver was driving. Very few rules back then, the body was required to match the body template for that particular manufacturer, a limit for the maximum cubic inches an engine could displace, and various safety mandates and that was it, anything else goes. The teams that spent the time, money, and the R&D to make their cars go faster were the teams that had winning cars as it should be.

Todays NASCAR there are so many rules and technicalities the best NASCAR teams in the world usually can't get their cars to pass tech inspection on the first try and that's due to NASCAR's obsession with all the cars being identically equal. Today, a car would fail a post race tech inspection if a bolt or nut was out of place by as little as a tenth of an inch and that's just plain ignorant on NASCARS part. Darell Waltrip really said it best... Let's build a car, inspect it, race it for 4 1/2 hours in 110 degree heat on a rough bumpy track, beating and banging with 40 other cars, and then inspect it again and see what moved!

NASCAR better take a good hard look in the stands and see how the popularity is falling, and take the sport back to its roots where the cars used factory parts and resembled factory cars, and get over the obsession that all the cars be exactly equal before it's too late. It will make for better, safer, and more interesting racing and the fan base will grow again. If they don't, I wouldn't be surprised if NASCAR doesn't exisist in another 10 to 15 years.

1970Camaro Z28
Old 12-12-2019, 03:08 PM

Thanked 3,813 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Forest Green Zee View Post
NASCAR better take a good hard look in the stands and see how the popularity is falling, and take the sport back to its roots where the cars used factory parts and resembled factory cars, and get over the obsession that all the cars be exactly equal before it's too late. It will make for better, safer, and more interesting racing and the fan base will grow again. If they don't, I wouldn't be surprised if NASCAR doesn't exisist in another 10 to 15 years.
Your whole post was well stated but with regards to the last part, I think we are way too late to fix this problem. The holes are too deep and I don't think we can ever climb out of them. It is just not fun to watch or participate in any more and there is just way too much greed involved. That will never change and that is what governs this sport like so many other sports.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
The Following User Says Thank You to SS427 For This Useful Post:
70 Forest Green Zee (12-13-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 03:11 PM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Based on many of the comments I have read, I am 100% sure that many here have no idea how profitable the TV and Radio yearly broadcast rights for NASCAR are:

$8 BILLION

That's what NBC and Fox Sports pays NASCAR!

Keep that in mind when you post about empty seats at race tracks.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:30 PM

Do you know that NASCAR gives the teams a tolerance?The teams make the decision to go even past that.Speeding on pit road?They are allowed 5 mph OVER the speed limit.Its not NASCAR,it's the teams pushing the limit over what they are allowed.The lower teams very rarely have a issue because they can't afford a fine.The large teams have a fine budged in for the years.Its just risk against reward.Now that they take wins and money away there are way less fines.The engineers find a little advantage here and there in the wind tunnels that the small teams can't afford.This is and never will be a level playing field.Speed cost money,how fast can you afford to go.Tom
Old 12-12-2019, 03:55 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Based on many of the comments I have read, I am 100% sure that many here have no idea how profitable the TV and Radio yearly broadcast rights for NASCAR are:

$8 BILLION

That's what NBC and Fox Sports pays NASCAR!

Keep that in mind when you post about empty seats at race tracks.
That is right. And when adjusted for inflation that is better than 1/2 what NASCAR was making 10 years ago.

As it is--The writing is on the wall.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
That is right. And when adjusted for inflation that is better than 1/2 what NASCAR was making 10 years ago.

As it is--The writing is on the wall.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Forest Green Zee View Post
Anyone who has watched NASCAR for as long as I have knows that it's not the same sport as it once was. Back in the 70's the cars basically used a stock production body and you could actually tell what kind of car a driver was driving. Very few rules back then, the body was required to match the body template for that particular manufacturer, a limit for the maximum cubic inches an engine could displace, and various safety mandates and that was it, anything else goes. The teams that spent the time, money, and the R&D to make their cars go faster were the teams that had winning cars as it should be.

Todays NASCAR there are so many rules and technicalities the best NASCAR teams in the world usually can't get their cars to pass tech inspection on the first try and that's due to NASCAR's obsession with all the cars being identically equal. Today, a car would fail a post race tech inspection if a bolt or nut was out of place by as little as a tenth of an inch and that's just plain ignorant on NASCARS part. Darell Waltrip really said it best... Let's build a car, inspect it, race it for 4 1/2 hours in 110 degree heat on a rough bumpy track, beating and banging with 40 other cars, and then inspect it again and see what moved!

Eh, it will never be stock cars like they had up through the 70's. That's when safety wasn't shoved down our throats. Totally different today. As much as I'd like to see it, that's just not going to happen. They can't take a production car today and make it safe enough without starting from scratch. It's not a reality anymore, and hasn't been for decades.

The reason they fail tech isn't because of Nascar's obsession with the rules, it's because the teams are pushing the rules. They all do it, only some get caught. Not much different in NHRA.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:19 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

OMG.. Good one Lee! that wall Meme looks exactly like the condition of today's NASCAR.

A wall that looks like a wall - but no structural mortar to hold it together in the long term.

Great Meme!