Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-07-2021, 07:42 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Smile Question about values of a tribute

What is a perfect tribute worth? I'm specifically talking about a tribute to one of the 5 original Grand Sports.

The car is not being passed off as a real car but it is as close as you can get to the real car in the minutia of detail, down to an original aluminum block. There are Superformance, Mongoose, MAI (Jeff Leach), D&M, Duntov and numerous other replica's out there ranging in from 55K-195K in value.

Were talking in this case the original car is one of only five built, its worth Millions of dollars and it does exist, the car in question is its twin in virtually every detail, down to the minutia of created to a time capsule day as the original car raced on one given day.

what is it worth? where do I find a comp?

Sinor Prestige Automobiles Inc.
9575 N 177th E. Ave.
Owasso, OK 74055
918-361-6424 cell
[email protected]
www.sinorprestigeauto.com
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-07-2021, 09:00 PM

Thanked 1,946 Times in 499 Posts

Hi Roy,

As a professional appraiser, I’ve run into similar scenarios, but haven’t appraised a Grand Sport yet (though I did get to touch 003 back when Tom Armstrong owned it).

In the case of a super accurate recreation, I think you’re best served by looking at similar efforts in recreating Birdcage Maseratis, C and D-type Jaguars, and 250GT Ferraris using the running gear of other 250’s. These more accurately represent the effort and complexity as opposed to using examples of more plentiful and simpler Cobra recreations.

One thing I’ve seen that seems to impact the value of these recreations quite a bit is the ability of the car to be used in vintage racing or touring events like an original car. This really affects the buyers ability to enjoy the car in certain ways and use it in the company of other collectors.

With any luck, when you document the relative values of the aforementioned cars, you will find a repeatable pattern of the recreations pulling a consistent percentage of what the “real” cars bring.

Good luck!

TOM BRESKE
www.myvintageviewpoint.com
Seattle, WA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom406 For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (05-07-2021), rsinor (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 11:14 PM

Thanked 1,834 Times in 746 Posts

These types of cars always have a ceiling because they are a replica. I bet I know the car you are considering and it’s a very nice car. The goal is to get out without getting skinned.
I have two nice replicas, one a very faithful Scarab aluminum replica with Hilborn FI and front magneto distributor. I also have a Kirkham Cobra that’s a replica pounded out of bronze. Even though real Scarabs sell for five to seven million, the replicas are in the $150,000 range
If you’re looking at the car I’m thinking of, I’d stay at $150,000 or below regardless of what the cost to build was. If you go higher, be prepared to enjoy it for a long time or take a hit when you sell. Hope that helps. If I can help further, contact me, I’ve had about 10 nice replica cars and they are cool.

Last edited by TimG; 05-07-2021 at 11:16 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimG For This Useful Post:
napa68 (05-09-2021), olredalert (05-08-2021), PeteLeathersac (05-07-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 01:02 AM

Thanked 1,834 Times in 746 Posts

It’s always good to hear from you, Roy.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimG For This Useful Post:
rsinor (05-08-2021)