Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Ebay & other seen ads section

Please note

Old 09-19-2021, 03:33 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

GLWS Mark!
Old 09-19-2021, 05:01 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Have you actually inked the deal on the L78 as of yet? This is a guy who's been leading you down the path for a few years now right? Unless you have a legal agreement with a signed contract and a firm timeline in place, I wouldn't be selling a car as nice as this 67 and doing it ahead of the L78 car. That and it's being painted in his own garage? By a guy who couldn't even figure out his own factory color codes? Is this L78 car even going to compare to this RS/SS in terms of quality, fit and finish?

Excuse me sounding off like this but the whole deal leaves me a bit confused. You search for years to find a nice 67 and end up with a killer RS/SS 350 car. I then see you posting up about possibly adding Day 2 components and Cragars to what is already a concourse restored car, then the next thing I see it's up for sale with plans to buy this L78 again. Don't get me wrong Mark...it's your deal to do whatever you want with...but I'm a bit lost with the reasoning here? Especially after it already sounds like the L78 owner has already been leading you down the garden path.

I also read the comments on the BAT page saying you've only put 10 miles on the RS/SS since buying it last year. Did you buy it to drive it, or strictly a collector / investment class car? If it were me Mark...I'd get out and puts some enjoyment miles on it. The restoration is 12 years old already and both you and the previous owner have now claimed you're afraid to mark it up since being restored in 2009? I mean really...just get out there and put some miles on it. Put a few stone chips in it, do a burnout, row those years or take the wife out for an ice cream and a burger with it. Leaving it parked in a garage for 12 years does nothing for me. Cars like this should be enjoyed.

If it were mine, I'd keep the damn thing off the deck truck and go spin some miles onto that odometer.

Just saying...
Old 09-19-2021, 06:00 PM

Thanks for your concern. If one car doesn’t work out, there is always another.

10 miles is absolutely true. Partly because of how clean the car is and partly because we have been dealing with Covid-19 in Ontario and I have gone pretty much no-where to protect family members with co-morbitities that would make them more susceptible to severe infection. I didn’t really feel the need to share that private matter on BAT, but since my lack of driving appears to bother you…there you have it. I wouldn’t call adding a set of Cragars to a concourse car ‘day 2ing” the car. It’s literally 20 lug nuts to change back.

I will likely lose $7-$10k on this “investment” even if I get a good selling price in this market. I bought the car at an exchange rate of $1.385 and will be selling at $1.23. Add $3250 for shipping and 13% tax and then another $4,400 in mtce work. The math is pretty simple. Everyone always assumes that someone is selling a car for a profit. I’m selling it because a driver quality L78 interests me more for my purposes than a concourse L48. If I lose $7k - $10k or even $15k I really don’t care. This is my hobby and it was worth owning the car for me.

Yes, the car was restored 12 years ago and has been driven 1,200 miles, but it still looks like this underneath. Anyone who sees it cannot believe that it hasn’t deteriorated.

As for the L78, My mechanic/friend from this site and I already have a plan for the L78 including repainting it. I am getting a very fair deal on it, so it’s worth it to me. If the deal falls through, my old Black 67 Z is available to me and I like that car too. If that falls through, there is always another car.

Finally, yes, I had been looking for a mint 67 Camaro for a long time, but Camaros aren’t my only automotive interest. I’ve owned a half dozen vintage motorcycles and a couple of 993’s during the search. And my next car is unlikely to be my last. I’m not wired that way…and I suspect you aren’t either.

If anyone else feels the need to give me advice on how to enjoy my hobby, can you please do it via pm. I’d like to keep my for sale post as positive as possible please.
Attached Images

1996 Carrera & 1993 Fat Boy

Last edited by Zedder; 09-19-2021 at 06:28 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zedder For This Useful Post:
1stGenFan (09-20-2021), Xplantdad (09-23-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 07:45 PM

Very well worded reply. Good for you, Mark.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:56 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Sorry Mark,

Wasn't trying to make it a negative for you. Just wasn't sure why you were set on selling it after all the talking you did for years about finding a great 67. It appeared that you did manage to find one, hence the curiosity over why you'd sell it.

I've always said...it's whatever floats your own boat. You take that above post however you see fit, but it was more as positive reinforcement of what is surely a great car, than it was to offer advice. It's a killer car no matter what you choose to do with it.

GLWS
PeteLeathersac (09-19-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 02:46 AM

Does anyone know if the auction notifies bidders when the reserve is met on BAT?

Old 09-24-2021, 04:22 AM

They do not
Old 09-24-2021, 05:27 AM

Good luck Mark.Hope you get the car you want.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:01 AM

Thanks Crush!

Thanks too BJ! Of course I’ve had moments of seller’s remorse during the auction, but I think I am good letting it go and focussing on a driver quality car like the L78 or even an unrestored LT-1 Corvette where another chip or too won’t bother me.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:04 AM

Default Reserve

If the reserve is met, I would comment that the “reserve has been met”. I’ve seen a few sellers do this on auctions I’ve been bidding on and it seems to really drive the price up afterward as the bidders get motivated. Beautiful car and good luck getting the one you are after.