Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 03-30-2018, 04:18 AM

Exclamation Lower rocker moldings for '69 Nova

As much as I hate to admit it, I pulled a real bone-head move this past Saturday. I was getting ready to do my annual oil change on the Nova and put the ramps I've used in the past at the bottom of the driveway. Bad decision, because the driveway is already on a slant and I usually put them on a flat, or nearly flat, surface. Anyway, as I drove them up on the ramps it "felt" like it was going further than I remembered!! With the car idling, the brake on and clutch in, I opened the door and much to my surprise the ramps were tilted at about a 45 degree angle. I closed the door, thought I put it in reverse and proceeded to ease the clutch out. Well, the car immediately drove off the ramps and ended up stuck under the car right behind the front tires!! I was sick, especially when I saw the lower moldings bent where the "bump" strip from the ramps caught them. I'll try to post pictures later but wanted to ask for advise/suggestions concerning repairing or maybe replacing them. I know that may be a hard question to answer without seeing the damage but I've been told the anodizing process may compromise the appearance of them. Not that I'm looking for show quality parts, just something that isn't dented!!! Thanks for any and all comments.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '69Novajoe View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, I pulled a real bone-head move this past Saturday. I was getting ready to do my annual oil change on the Nova and put the ramps I've used in the past at the bottom of the driveway. Bad decision, because the driveway is already on a slant and I usually put them on a flat, or nearly flat, surface. Anyway, as I drove them up on the ramps it "felt" like it was going further than I remembered!! With the car idling, the brake on and clutch in, I opened the door and much to my surprise the ramps were tilted at about a 45 degree angle. I closed the door, thought I put it in reverse and proceeded to ease the clutch out. Well, the car immediately drove off the ramps and ended up stuck under the car right behind the front tires!! I was sick, especially when I saw the lower moldings bent where the "bump" strip from the ramps caught them. I'll try to post pictures later but wanted to ask for advise/suggestions concerning repairing or maybe replacing them. I know that may be a hard question to answer without seeing the damage but I've been told the anodizing process may compromise the appearance of them. Not that I'm looking for show quality parts, just something that isn't dented!!! Thanks for any and all comments.
OUCH -- sounds totally FUBAR ... TAZ
Old 03-30-2018, 01:11 PM

Thanked 1,596 Times in 490 Posts
Default lower moldings Nova...

Joe..

very sorry to hear about the mishap.

there are really only 3 choices for the moldings;

-new aftermarket

-NOS [good luck]

-used OEM parts

I have a few odd pieces of used rocker moldings...they aren't show quality but maybe they will help...let me know exactly what pieces you need and I'll check the parts bin.

-wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 03-30-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earntaz View Post
OUCH -- sounds totally FUBAR ... TAZ
Pretty close, but I think it could have been much worse!! My "back-side" is still hurting from me kicking it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78 View Post
Joe..

very sorry to hear about the mishap.

there are really only 3 choices for the moldings;

-new aftermarket

-NOS [good luck]

-used OEM parts

I have a few odd pieces of used rocker moldings...they aren't show quality but maybe they will help...let me know exactly what pieces you need and I'll check the parts bin.

-wilma
Thanks Wilma!! I guess repairing them might be out of the question?? A friend has ordered a couple new repros for his Nova. I'm going to see how they look when he gets them. Might be too good for my car!!! As you can see, they are the ribbed moldings that go from behind the front tire back to the rear wheel-well.

The driver's/"good" side........

As you can see they aren't close to show quality!! Maybe not even driver quality, but they are original!!

The passenger/bad side......

I think the exaggerated gap between the molding and bottom of the fender is because it was bent out pretty far??

By the way, anyone know how to get these off without hurting them even more?? I might just use a body shop close to me to do the work. And if anyone knows of anyone who might have these NOS/OEM please let me know!! I'll put the word out with the Nova "community" too. Thanks so much guys!! My "back-side" is already starting to feel better!!
Old 03-31-2018, 03:41 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Wow Joe...sorry to hear!

Some battle wounds on the old girl.....

Hope to be out your way before long!
Old 03-31-2018, 03:54 PM

Default rocker moldings

Joe...there should be screws along the bottom edge and snap in clip at the top...I'll double check today at the shop and see what moldings I have.

tom
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 03-31-2018, 08:21 PM

Default lower moldings Nova...

Joe...

I found a pretty nice pair of the moldings...there a little dusty/dirty...but, I'll clean them up and send you some photos.

tom
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 03-31-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplantdad View Post
Wow Joe...sorry to hear!

Some battle wounds on the old girl.....

Hope to be out your way before long!
Hey Bruce, always good seeing you guys when you're out this way! I'll be going (without the Nova) to the Old Towne Orange Car Show on the 15th of April. It's a great venue and I look forward to it every year.

Quote:
Joe...there should be screws along the bottom edge and snap in clip at the top...I'll double check today at the shop and see what moldings I have.

tom
Tom, I actually (finally!!) looked under the car to see how the moldings are attached. It's just like you said. I've got a few other things to take care of before I even start to take it apart right now.

Quote:
Joe...

I found a pretty nice pair of the moldings...there a little dusty/dirty...but, I'll clean them up and send you some photos.

tom
That's great news!! Thanks for your help.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:48 AM

I go to Spring Carlisle PA swap meet every year and normally see a set of NOS lower moldings.
They normally go for around $600 a set. I had one nos one, but could never find the other side as a single NOS for sale. I ended up selling my one NOS on Ebay last year and bought the repos. I normally hate repos, but after I bought them, I compared them to my NOS and I was actually very impressed. They really are very very close to the NOS...
Old 04-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Joe, were you able to snag these up?

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=644465