Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Garages/shops..

Old 02-03-2020, 12:46 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 2 Post lift - Wide Enough

I got my hands on an older VBM (made by Challenger) 9,000lb 2 post lift.

The issue I have is that the standard 98" inside width is pretty thin. I'd prefer to set it up with 108" inside. That way I could use it on my 102" wide trailer.

This lift uses a pair of roller chains for distributing the lift equally. Since the posts will be mounted to the floor and the chains use master links to join them in the drive over tray, could I just add the required number of extra links to obtain the desired width? Refabbing the tray and drive-over plate would be easy, because these parts just protect the chains from car traffic.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Blair

Last edited by Supergas990; 02-03-2020 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-03-2020, 03:26 PM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

I am not an engineer, and I don't even play one on TV.

First, from your description, there is not top plate; correct? Just the driver over plate.

What you are proposing is going to put an inordinate amount of excess strain on the anchor system when you lift a normal full size car or pick up. The vehicle will be farther away from each post creating additional leverage that you don't want.

It might be different if you had a top plate and could safely lengthen the top plate to connect the two towers. Even then, you are creating greater loads with increased leverage than what the system is designed for.

I believe you are asking for trouble, and that you will end up pulling anchor bolts or, even worse, cracking the concrete. JMHO; possibly worth what you paid for it.

Last edited by Lynn; 02-03-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the additional thought. Challenger did email me back and said it was "ok", as long as I used larger anchor bolts (3/4") and had at least 4" of reinforced concrete.

The lift won't be used a lot, but I need to be able to keep a space open for my boat, which is on a 102" wide trailer.

Not an engineer either, just trying to do it right and safely.

Thanks,

Blair
Old 02-03-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I am not an engineer, and I don't even play one on TV.

First, from your description, there is not top plate; correct? Just the driver over plate.

What you are proposing is going to put an inordinate amount of excess strain on the anchor system when you lift a normal full size car or pick up. The vehicle will be farther away from each post creating additional leverage that you don't want.

It might be different if you had a top plate and could safely lengthen the top plate to connect the two towers. Even then, you are creating greater loads with increased leverage than what the system is designed for.

I believe you are asking for trouble, and that you will end up pulling anchor bolts or, even worse, cracking the concrete. JMHO; possibly worth what you paid for it.
Hmm...not seeing that.
The only way to create increased loads (a torque moment) would be to lengthen the arms themselves. The distance the columns are from one another is irrelevant. It is the force down at the load point (end of arm) in relation to the column mounting point on the floor. That is the torque moment. That's why on a cherry picker the load rating varies due to how far the boom is extended.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:51 PM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

The increased leverage comes from having to extend the arms all the way for every standard vehicle and THEN having to place them closer to the mid point on the side of the car just to find a place to lift.

If there were not any chance of increased leverage, then why did Challenger recommend larger anchors? BTW, my Ammco lift, made by Challenger (not a bottom plate design) lift calls for 3/4 inch anchors anyway.

Again, just my opinion. I know an extra 5 inches of reach doesn't sound like much, but given the weight of the vehicles that will fit on it, it is enough to worry me.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:34 AM

Agree with what Lynn is saying. The farther away from the car the posts are, the further out you have to stretch/lenghthen the support arms to reach the car.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:44 PM

Guys, thanks for the interest. I probably mistated the bolt information, after rechecking the mount holes, they are for a 3/4" bolt. Apparently the guys felt compelled to remind me.

After that, I really want this for maintenance and convenience on vehicles under 5,000lbs. The lift is rated for 9,000lbs.

I'll snap some pics after I have it wrapped up. It'll be a nice addition to the shop.

Blair
Old 02-05-2020, 07:49 PM

Call the guys @ Challenger Lifts.
dykstra (02-11-2020)