Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Ebay & other seen ads section

Please note

Old 09-01-2021, 11:56 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 1961 Corvette Modified Eliminator Drag Car

Long story on an ex-drag car…..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Chevro...-127632-2357-0

Kurt
Attached Images

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 69 Post Sedan For This Useful Post:
Damien (09-01-2021), markinnaples (09-01-2021), PeteLeathersac (09-01-2021)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 7388BE7B-7281-43FB-971B-E954FE3B7990.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-01-2021, 01:22 PM

I would bet Mr Barnhart would know that car!
Jamie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to livettes For This Useful Post:
69 Post Sedan (09-01-2021), Xplantdad (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:50 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Text here:

Chevrolet Corvette.

1961 Corvette “Glass Stripper” A/G drag car project for sale.To be anyway near what it was in the late 60s, it is in need of total restoration. As I understand, the car was built by Larry Teter from Elgin Illinois in the late 1960s. There is still a portion of the name Teter Automotive Elgin Illinois on the trunk in gold leaf. Larry was a very successful drag car builder and gained fame when he won the U.S. Nationals at Indianapolis in 1961 and 1962 with his C/G Chevy powered Vicky. This Corvette was built to run in the NHRA mainly and driven by Lou Price from Elgin.

As anyone can see, the top has been chopped and the visibility with the low windshield and the large hood scoop is limited. I have been told that Lou Price was tall and had to shift a four speed sitting with the seat in a rockered position. It may be a stretch to believe this car would ever pass tech today at any nostalgia sanctioned events, but I believe the car would be enjoyed by many enthusiasts, indicative a show they ran back in the modified eliminator era of the 60s and 70s.

This Corvette allegedly ran at Illinois drag strips and it’s last drag race was when it competed in A/G at the 1973 NHRA Gatornationals at Gainesville Florida. The Vette was entry number 1003 and an original 1973 Gatornationals program is included with the car. The car has a lightweight tube chassis with a Pontiac rear and a straight axle up front. The rear suspension is a four bar with coil overs and there is no center section in the Pontiac rear differential housing. There is a driveshaft loop but no driveshaft.

The car allegedly ran a 427 BBC with a four speed. The one grainy picture included I was told was when the car was built showing the tube chassis next to the body, with what appears to be a BBC engine with a tunnel ram intake and possibly Mickey Thompson valve covers. The original engine is long gone but included is a 454 (condition unknown) that was included in the sale when I bought it. There are several parts that were included when I bought it and was told they were original to the car, among them being the explosion proof bell housing with the rear mount welded to the housing, the front engine mount, and the steering box.

I have included an Edelbrock TR2X tunnel ram which I believed resembled somewhat the intake in the grainy picture and have also included a set of Mickey Thompson valve covers. I was told the car probably ran a Muncie trans and a Muncie M21 (also condition unknown) is included with this sale. I was told that when the car competed at the 1973 Gatornationals, Lou Price was running a spool and he came out of the hole out of shape and ended up tagging the wall or barrier and damaged the fiberglass mainly and the car was parked after that-there may have been other damage.

The front clip on the car today is just sitting on the car and is a pretty inferior clip but came with the car. I am including another fiberglass clip off of what I believe is a 1962 clip wherein the nose may be salvageable if one wanted to use some original type fiberglass in the repair. The clip is a bit rough but may be saved by a professional. Of course new clips are available. Hood and trunk lid are skins to save weight and the hood needs some fiberglass repair. Some fiberglass repairs have been made but the balance of the body would need the expected repair of a car that was raced and neglected at times in its life.Prospective buyers should not only carefully study the photos but should inspect the car to make sure this project is for them.

The front wheels appear to be correct for the car although they are spindle mags made of magnesium and if you study the photos you will see they need repair by a professional in magnesium restoration. The rear wheels and tires are not correct for the car but they were included with the car when I acquired it. The front tires are old and need replacing. You will note the steering box is not installed-there is no steering shaft or steering wheel. The seats are also not correct IMO but they came with the car as well.

There are a limited number of original Corvette gassers left in as raced condition and there were very few that Corvettes that ran A/G back in the era.

Car is sold with a title but no vin plate and since the frame has been replaced there is no VIN numbers with the car other than the title. I would encourage any prospective buyer to inspect the car or have someone inspect the car for them.

I believe my reserve is reasonable but want the buyer to be satisfied with his purchase. I do not have a buy it now price.
Shipping is the responsibility of the buyer. The car will not be released prior to payment in full and/or the funds have cleared into my bank account.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xplantdad For This Useful Post:
69 Post Sedan (09-01-2021), markinnaples (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 10:40 PM

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,346 Posts

Long, expensive road back from it's current condition. Probably was a cool car in it's day.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 09-02-2021, 01:16 AM

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,966 Posts

'

Lots of Larry Teter threads on the Hamb site, this link w/ subject car when it surfaced in '08...
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-vette.248433/

~ Pete

seventieshow (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,036 Times in 341 Posts

Nice I checked out the HAMB thread, the current owner has but some work into making the car a roller.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:45 PM

Thanked 5,961 Times in 2,907 Posts

Owned by Jim Dillon, awesome guy.