Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 02-04-2020, 01:24 PM

Thanked 1,363 Times in 662 Posts

racer67X, I've seen pics of your '68 Chevelle online for years. That thing was awesome, do you happen to have it or know what happened to it? Super cool, and it always made the 70's street machine pages online.
John 10:30
Old 02-05-2020, 07:26 PM

Thanked 1,627 Times in 482 Posts

do a search on Acrylic aquariums or fish tanks

there are shops that make them and sell material for do it yourself projects

Plexiglass is a common term used for cell cast acrylic
Old 02-06-2020, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer67x View Post

if you look close you can see the one I made for my Chevelle back in the early 80's,cut the pieces from lexan then glued them with a hot glue gun.
its a little crude but kept things dry if I ever got caught in the rain.
it attached with 2 small "L" brackets under the hood.
I need to do something again like that for my Rally Nova.
Very Cool !!
If you build another pick up the solvent that is used to fuse the plastic.
If will provide seamless joints after finishing.
racer67x (02-19-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 12:59 PM

When we welded plex, we first cut on the saw with a plastic blade, so you start with a smooth cut, then figured a tad over so each joint could run across the jointer a pass. 1/32, When welded, it looks great.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinnaples View Post
racer67X, I've seen pics of your '68 Chevelle online for years. That thing was awesome, do you happen to have it or know what happened to it? Super cool, and it always made the 70's street machine pages online.
hey Mark..I grew up near the the South Hills of Pittsburgh and bought the Chevelle the year I graduated High School in '79 thru a cousin,towed it up north with a u haul towbar from Smithfield,NC..paid $1000.
owned it almost 15 years,hung out at at a place called South Park mostly.
I drove it to the CC Street Machine Nats in '80,and the Nats East in Syracuse where that pic was taken in '84.
I had started racing stock cars on dirt and money was tight,sold the car in 1994 to a guy from out on rt 40 near Washington,Pa.
in my defense I still race and won the championship last year at the age of 58..lol
kick myself everyday for selling that car..first love kinda thing.
guy who bought it took off the tunnel ram and 10" Cragars,that was the last I knew anything about it.
plan to take a ride up his way with the Nova one day just to find out the rest of the story.
car was an original SS,4 speed car,red with the thin white lower stripe...one of 2200 or something.
thanks..Danny
The Following User Says Thank You to racer67x For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 01:05 AM

Hey Danny, I'm from the South Hills of Pittsburgh as well. Grew up in South Baldwin on the border of South Park, lol. I graduated in 1984. Where did you graduate from?
That's too funny, we ran in similar circles. My '68 Camaro was built by Norm LeBlanc and painted by Steve Dobos (not sure if you knew them back in the day).
I had a '68 Chevelle SS396 that was yellow and black around 1993 that I sold to a guy in North Baldwin, so I have a soft spot for '68 Chevelles and Camaros.
It would be awesome if you could find it again and see how it is.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:42 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Here is the one on Quain Stott's old 4N big block conv... the car came out of Kansas City area from Jim Little - I have been meaning to get the VIN and figure out where it came from new. ---
anyway it has a blue plex hood scoop looks like the stuff Harrell was doing and Little traded this car for the one Kim Howie has/had which was built at Harrell's shop.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firstgenaddict For This Useful Post:
JoeC (02-21-2020), markinnaples (02-20-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinnaples View Post
Hey Danny, I'm from the South Hills of Pittsburgh as well. Grew up in South Baldwin on the border of South Park, lol. I graduated in 1984. Where did you graduate from?
That's too funny, we ran in similar circles. My '68 Camaro was built by Norm LeBlanc and painted by Steve Dobos (not sure if you knew them back in the day).
I had a '68 Chevelle SS396 that was yellow and black around 1993 that I sold to a guy in North Baldwin, so I have a soft spot for '68 Chevelles and Camaros.
It would be awesome if you could find it again and see how it is.
wow..that is cool,I was at the South Park Mcdonalds the night they posted Security guards and put the chains up to keep us out of the bigger parking lot.
I honestly don't remember your car or meeting those guys but there were so many I knew on a first name basis,I was out there almost every night..in fact a couple dozen of us went in on jackets and the kid who used to go with me still has his.
red satin of course with "South Park Street Machines" and a guys Corvette Summer wannabee clone in the center..thinking his name was Joe and he got them made..lol
we got kicked out of McD's then went to Danny's which didn't last long..at that point it was Wendy's.
we used to pack the place.
like I said above.. that timeframe was basically the beginning of the end,cops were total buzzkills,Bethel got me 2 seperate times..tires extending beyond fender edge,engine not completely covered..last straw was a friend with a tilt front Stingray who actually got a loitering ticket in South Park!
that is what the hell its for!..lol
he fought it,lost..got the AFL/CIO to help and I think lost again.
it was BS and the main reason I ended up playing in the dirt.
I grew up and lived in the little town of McDonald..about a half hour away and still live near there,graduted from Bishop Canevin near Carnegie.
sometimes I wonder where all of those cars ended up..some really nice cars were around back then.
shame it had to end!
thx for bringing back some of the memories..lol
Old 02-24-2020, 01:29 PM

I remember when they used to let you actually park in McD's parking lot, then the larger lot, then Danny's (went there last summer and they had no Steak Hoagies - What the heck is up with that??), etc.. I used to cruise South Park in my sister's new '82 Berlinetta, then my '76 Rally Sport, and finally my '89 Camaro RS, but you're 100% right, it was supposed to be for the community and no one, NO ONE except kids ever went there after dark so I have no idea why they chased everyone off (just to make themselves feel powerful maybe?).

That's awesome that your buddy took it all the way to court with the AFL/CIO. Nowadays, he's probably get a cash settlement if he said he needed a "safe space," LOL.

I'm familiar with McDonald a little; a couple friends live there - maybe you know them? Bob Barton, Jim & Barb Powers, and Marty Dorfner.

Do you go to any of the cruises up there these days? I am going to try to drag my lump up there this summer to hit up some of them if I can.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:04 AM

I haven't been to a cruise or anywhere since the South Park days..about time to retire and let the young guys have fun with the dirt racing,too much like work anymore.
going to put a plate on the Nova this summer and see if I can find where people hang out these days.
if you happen to see this at a show or anywhere stop and say hello..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to racer67x For This Useful Post:
earntaz (10-23-2020), HawkX66 (03-05-2020), markinnaples (03-05-2020), YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (03-06-2020)