Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 10-21-2019, 01:07 AM

Thanked 3,398 Times in 1,241 Posts

I went through a few things on the car today and unpacked some of the original parts that came in the trunk. First off is the smog system. Everything is in great shape and the pump is dated October 20 (293rd Day) as per the factory stamp. It has the correct 3932458DA deep groove pulley with the raised stamp outlined as per factory. Smog rails are original and the diverter retains the original GF ink stamp on it. Interestingly, it also has the wire reinforcement on it. Weird for a late date is it not?

I think the ribbed hoses are both original and the Wittek tower clamps look original, but I have not cleaned them to check the dates as of yet. I'm thinking the check valves are also correct but need to look for the part numbers when I get a chance to clean them up with some soap and water. It also has the correct elbow and all of the correct RBW bolts intact as well. I'll need to find original mounting brackets for this kit and once cleaned, I'll put it away with the original smog manifolds for future recall and use if or when needed. All in all some nice original parts that came with the car.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:18 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I thought the Diverter ink stamp was changed to a sticker on the late cars...����*♂️
I could be wrong but my 9E car had the sticker instead of the ink Graeme..
1969 Z28 X33D80 31k original mile Survivor Dusk POP Bornwith drivetrain.Sold
1969 Camaro LM1 Olympic Gold 78k original miles
1995 Camaro Z28 silver Convertible AT

1969 Camaro COPO 9561 21k original miles original drivetrain M22 Tach and gauge package
Old 10-21-2019, 01:23 AM

Here's a shot of the original radiator that came with the car. Jeff had sent it out to be re-cored before he shipped the car and then packed it away within the trunk. It got the typical rad shop paint job even when he asked for them not to paint it, so I'll strip the tanks and paint it correctly before installing it over the winter months. The UH tag was kept aside so it didn't get lost and I'll be sure to snag some better pictures as it goes back into the car real soon. At the same time, I'll install a rebuilt 692 water pump which will correct 2 of the things I need to do in the engine bay. The CB tank is also dated J for October.

I snuck my camera in behind the radiator today to check out the front of the clutch fan. I can only tell you I was real happy to find it was as clean as the rest of the car and clearly showed the original CV ink stamps and dating from Eaton. This will be gently preserved when the radiator and water pump go back into the car. August 21 of 1969 dating.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:36 AM

Took some pictures of the date codes on the LOF issued glass today as well. All original glass is intact with date codes matching up nicely. The front windshield and all side glass is dated YV (October) while the back glass is dated AV (September). Nice to see it's all original and in great shape with no scratches to be seen. Another indication that this car was very well cared for.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1971 View Post
I thought the Diverter ink stamp was changed to a sticker on the late cars...����*♂️
I could be wrong but my 9E car had the sticker instead of the ink Graeme..
I'm not sure when or how the dates and GF stamping vs decal changed Mike. Being a late car built in the first week of November of 69, I have been told by multiple sources that a lot of parts were scavenged from everywhere to get the cars completed prior to the plant retooling for the second generation. The pump was dated 293'rd day, and perhaps this was an early diverter valve that was pulled from older stock for use on a late car. I believe the reinforcing wire was an early thing was it not?

Maybe I'll check with Bill Hodel to see what he has to offer. I need to get some brackets and the smog tubes anyways so I will ask him this week?
Old 10-21-2019, 02:52 AM

I agree Graeme Bill is top notch on the Smog world!.��
1969 Z28 X33D80 31k original mile Survivor Dusk POP Bornwith drivetrain.Sold
1969 Camaro LM1 Olympic Gold 78k original miles
1995 Camaro Z28 silver Convertible AT

1969 Camaro COPO 9561 21k original miles original drivetrain M22 Tach and gauge package
Old 10-21-2019, 10:40 AM

Nice score Graeme!
Old 10-21-2019, 12:46 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 2,979 Times in 886 Posts

Lovely.............just lovely!

I'm looking forward to see how "detail it"

Great find Graeme!
The Following User Says Thank You to napa68 For This Useful Post:
NorCam (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 01:15 PM

Thanks Dave...

I'm enjoying this one while discovering things I never knew about late built cars.

Checked out the wheels, trim rings and derby covers yesterday. Everything appears to be factory issue with original 4 clip 3901708 trim rings and factory 3925805 dual flute derby caps. The wheels are original 15" x 7" rallies with K-1-9 9 9 YH dates from Kelsey Hayes. Hard to see behind the valve stem in this shot and will have to verify if there's another digit such as a 1 under the leading edge of the valve stem? To this point it looks like the 9th day of September unless there's another number at the leading edge of the hole? Insides of the wheels are a little crusty (survivor state) and have never been restored by the looks of things. All lug nuts have the 3 triangle markings on them as well. Once I mount some driver wheels, these will be stored away. The spare in the trunk matches the others and has an original Sports Car 200 spare tire on it. Jeff Boone added the wide tread F70 tires to the car before it was shipped. He had a set of these sitting around and while they are not the correct E70's, they will do since they are coming off to be stored anyways.

Thanks for adding these to the car Boonie.

Original factory issue trim rings and derby caps.

Might be a 1 hiding under that valve stem. Will check later.

Dual fluted derby cap as issued by factory.

Wheels have not been restored by looks of the inside.

Original spare tire intact.

Last edited by NorCam; 10-21-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:01 PM

Not knowing a lot about the engine other than a report of it being checked out recently by a PA machine shop, I took a peek inside the covers to see what the dates were on the cylinder heads. They are in fact a late set of 186 heads with October 1st casting dates and have not being converted or altered with screw in studs or guide plates. I found the rockers to have M markings on them which was odd, and immediately saw that the covers also had drippers? The M markings are long slot rockers for big blocks are they not? The covers then had me wondering if this was a late change up due to it being a late car as these would be the same as 1970 covers. Anyone in the know what other late cars came with? In the coming week, I will try and learn more about the motor having been gone through to see if the bore is standard or if the rings / bearings were done while it was checked. At this point I am expecting the short block is purely stock with exception of the cam which was reportedly changed to a Comp 3849346 solid lifter replacement cam #12-107-3. Sounds a little docile to me but cam specs are pretty much spot on with the original 30/30. Runs out pretty good from the first few test miles put on the car this week. Not exactly the bottom of the page grinds that I am used to...but it will have to do as I struggle to keep with something stock. More on the engine as it's discovered.

The passenger side showing stock manifolds and spark plug shields. Manifold bolts appear incorrect. (bin bolts)

Correct 186 Camel bump heads dated J 1 9 (October 1st)

Long slot rockers with M markings? Thought this was odd...big block rockers?

Motor has 474207/474208 covers with drippers? They look original but...

Retains original wire separators with correct M marking bolts.

December 15th Addition: I have since learned that the above valve covers are in fact 80's dated replacements, however it has been interesting to learn that more than a few Nov built survivor cars have been found to have come with 70 style dripper covers. I may be changing these covers out to an earlier set of 3965543 & 3965544 covers at some point. I have also been in further contact with the engine builder who told me the rockers are Manley long slot rockers that were added when the engine was rebuilt a few years ago. They are claimed as being a suitable replacement and are marked with an M.

Last edited by NorCam; 12-15-2019 at 01:47 PM.