Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-07-2020, 01:25 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SS496 View Post
Im not really particular about it being date coded correct, that would be super hard to find and out of my budget...Mostly looking for a nice driver..

My dad ordered one when he was 21 in November of 68.. He had it delivered on Dec 18, 1968 ...Unfortunately, like most people he had to sell in it 1972 due to his upcoming marriage to my mom and needed money...Since I was a little kid he was always telling me stories about that car , street racing it against his buddies in other cars, taking it to the track etc etc... Those stories always stuck with me and I always wanted to get back his car and give it to him. He is 73 now and I'd like to find something similar as he had and give it to him so he can drive it again, while he still can. Ive tried desperately to find his actual Chevelle, but every avenue is a dead end.. Since I have the VIN ,I got information from the DMV but all that came back was an old encumbrance from 1983 and the gentleman doesnt live at that address anymore, and i cant seem to find a valid phone number. He still has the carbon copy of the sales sheet stashed away with leftover parts he had from the car that he is still keeping. This is how he ordered it... and what Im trying to duplicate

A51 - strato bucket seats
A82 - head restraints
C08 - Vinyl roof cover/Black
D55- Center console
G80- posi traction
G84 - 4.10 rear axle
L78 - 375Hp 396
M21- 4 speed close ratio
N40 - power steeering
U35- Electric clock
U80- AM push button radio
Z25- SS 396 package
791- Parchment / black vinyl trim
924- 71-71 Lemans Blue
I you would like, PM the information on your fathers car, I like a good challenge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L_e_e For This Useful Post:
69b5bee (10-08-2020), markinnaples (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 03:20 AM

Thanked 3,766 Times in 1,597 Posts

----As it happens I am 73 but we have never had any kids. It would have been something to have a kid who cared enough to think like you are thinking. Hope I didn't seem harsh with my comments as they were well meant. I'll keep an eye out as probably some of the guys and hopefully we will be able to help!.....Bill S
The Following User Says Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
L_e_e (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:47 AM

I'm in agreement with Bill's pricing on the car. It has a lot going for it which has already been discussed, but the block being decked is a big draw back to me. It seems like everyone I know that had a 350hp 69 SS had major engine problems that required a rebuild back in the day (my brother being one of them). Maybe this one was no different and created the need to deck the block.

If you wanted to bring this closer back to original with a correct shifter, smog system and brake master cylinder, you are looking at another 3K - 4K to do all that. Maybe more. I'm not a fan of the hood pins either, but if is truly original paint, you'd pretty much have to leave them alone.

A very nice car overall, but a bit over priced in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
----As it happens I am 73 but we have never had any kids. It would have been something to have a kid who cared enough to think like you are thinking. Hope I didn't seem harsh with my comments as they were well meant. I'll keep an eye out as probably some of the guys and hopefully we will be able to help!.....Bill S
Bill... no problem, no offense taken, as I didnt find any of your comments to be harsh..

I appreciate all the comments and help with this car and to try to find my dads....Jeff
Old 10-07-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woj View Post
I'm in agreement with Bill's pricing on the car. It has a lot going for it which has already been discussed, but the block being decked is a big draw back to me. It seems like everyone I know that had a 350hp 69 SS had major engine problems that required a rebuild back in the day (my brother being one of them). Maybe this one was no different and created the need to deck the block.

If you wanted to bring this closer back to original with a correct shifter, smog system and brake master cylinder, you are looking at another 3K - 4K to do all that. Maybe more. I'm not a fan of the hood pins either, but if is truly original paint, you'd pretty much have to leave them alone.

A very nice car overall, but a bit over priced in my opinion.
Im not as concerned about the deck being blocked. It would be nice if it wasnt so I could be sure it is the original engine,due to the asking price, but Im not looking for a 100% factory car. I dont care about the smog, or shifter either really, as my dad put a hurst shifter in his as well...

It would be nice to have it all factory correct, but at my price point I cant expect that to happen, as I know most people took off the smog stuff back in the day and changed shifters..etc.. so im OK with the mild "day 2" mods... The biggest drawback for me is the hood pins, I think they look terrible.

I agree with it being a bit overpriced... I was thinking more around the 40-45k range at most...
Old 10-07-2020, 01:05 PM

Default BS

Can you post a better copy of the build sheet? The one I see posted is too blurry

Paul
Old 10-07-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsc66 View Post
can you post a better copy of the build sheet? The one i see posted is too blurry

paul
Name:  100_9244.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  241.1 KB
Old 10-07-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SS496 View Post
Im not really particular about it being date coded correct, that would be super hard to find and out of my budget...Mostly looking for a nice driver..

My dad ordered one when he was 21 in November of 68.. He had it delivered on Dec 18, 1968 ...Unfortunately, like most people he had to sell in it 1972 due to his upcoming marriage to my mom and needed money...Since I was a little kid he was always telling me stories about that car , street racing it against his buddies in other cars, taking it to the track etc etc... Those stories always stuck with me and I always wanted to get back his car and give it to him. He is 73 now and I'd like to find something similar as he had and give it to him so he can drive it again, while he still can. Ive tried desperately to find his actual Chevelle, but every avenue is a dead end.. Since I have the VIN ,I got information from the DMV but all that came back was an old encumbrance from 1983 and the gentleman doesnt live at that address anymore, and i cant seem to find a valid phone number. He still has the carbon copy of the sales sheet stashed away with leftover parts he had from the car that he is still keeping. This is how he ordered it... and what Im trying to duplicate

A51 - strato bucket seats
A82 - head restraints
C08 - Vinyl roof cover/Black
D55- Center console
G80- posi traction
G84 - 4.10 rear axle
L78 - 375Hp 396
M21- 4 speed close ratio
N40 - power steeering
U35- Electric clock
U80- AM push button radio
Z25- SS 396 package
791- Parchment / black vinyl trim
924- 71-71 Lemans Blue
Understand your story about your dad very well. I'm going through the same "sorta" as my did wasn't able to buy HIS car. Heard the story from my brother who dad told him a few times. Spoke to my dad about it in 2017 before he passed and asked why he never mentioned it to me! His response "YOUR the car guy of the family. AND you would go and do WHATEVER to get it, and at this time you can't really justify buying one!"

Dad liked the '67 427 'Vette with side pipes. Wanted to buy one in 1967 BUT with with my brother being 6 and me born in '66 and with dad being the only driver and only 1 car family, he couldn't justify a 2 seater for family of 4. So he bought a Sport Fury. Dad always wanted a Vette. We looked at a few over the years and got to the point in 2017 were we was talking the the dealer had 5 in stock. So I said, "LET'S GO"! Loaded up dad, mom and myself and drove over. I said pick one. The sales guy came out and asked what we thought. I said to dad, "pick one, get the keys and go for a drive"! I looked at the sales guy and said looks like were buying a Vette today. THEY will take it out since dad lost his license so my mom will drive." When they go back, dad couldn't get out of it on his own, and that ended my dads Vette saga.

BUT I am keeping a eye out for a '67 in his honor. My 2 1/2 yrs old son is CAR CRAZY so maybe he will follow my lead..............
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
The Following User Says Thank You to EZ Nova For This Useful Post:
cruiserofland (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 02:08 PM

Here are some pics of dads old chevelle along with sales sheets... The pictures were in a flood in 1972, so some of the areas arent that great but for the most part they are ok..
Name:  front.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  148.2 KB

Name:  front2.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  161.0 KB

Name:  frontalview.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  137.8 KB

Name:  shippingsheet.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  417.1 KB

Name:  sales order.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  302.4 KB

Name:  side view1.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  175.1 KB

Name:  side view 2.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  194.3 KB

Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  163.4 KB
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 68SS496 For This Useful Post:
Carleen (10-07-2020), cruiserofland (10-07-2020), KLars1 (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
Bill, just wanted to let you know that I am available for adoption....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L_e_e For This Useful Post:
cruiserofland (10-07-2020), olredalert (10-07-2020)