Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 06-08-2020, 01:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

DO NOT PRESS ON THE STUD!!! All you will do is screw the threads up even if you put a nut on it, but most important you will do damage to the ball and socket and make the ball joint useless. What I have done in the past was to first put the ball joint in hot water to expand the metal ring on the boot. There's about .005 thousandths press on the ring and the heat from the water will make the ring expand enough to get off easy and not do damage to the boot. I have used a craftsman adjustable prybar to get them off in the past as you can adjust the angle that your're prying against. I still think sears carry them but you going to have to find a sears or but it online. Next I made a fixture to press the joint out. A piece of heavy wall tubing or a piece of round stock long enough to not hit or press on the stud. The outer diameter need to be less than the arm housing by about .010 thousandths. Block up the arm in a press. I have used aluminum blocks or if thats not available Ive also used 4 x 4 wood from a used skid as that wood is strong enough to take pressing pressure. A LITTLE HEAT ON THE A ARM IS OK BUT DO NOT GET IT RED HOT AS YOU WILL DISTORT THE ARM!!! When you go to install the joint you will need another piece of bar to stock bigger than the bore flange of the a arm to press the ball joint in. Make sure you start the joint square with the bore and put some oil on both the bore and the joint where they are being pressed together. The oil will make pressing easier.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:16 AM

Thanked 1,068 Times in 204 Posts

Maybe you could practice on one of these. I would contact the sellers to verify the tabs are on the ball joint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-81-CAMAR...Condition=3000

It looks like it has the original ball joint. I could be wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/74-81-CAMAR...Condition=3000
Attached Images

67 Camaro L78

Last edited by jbtech; 06-08-2020 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:00 AM

UPDATE: My freind owns a repair shop in Auburn,WA and has a commercial Ball Joint Press Kit with All the misc pieces.
We were able to pry off All Three of the Dust Boot Rings using Screwdrivers.....Messed up the edges just a little bit but I able to use a power flapper wheel to dress everything up.
Wanted to use my Original Arms, Off my low mileage 70 Z as they are in great shape
& born with the car.
So I soaked the 50 year old lower joints in paint remover first and EVAPORUST 2nd.
They came out pretty nice. Seems like two of the lowers show what appears faded yellow zinc plating on end with zerc fitting. No pitting of the metal but there is remanants of the corrosion showing upon the metal.

Dont have pictures ready to upload here.............
Question: Dont know what I can further do to make the exposed metal area (around zerc)
look better........OR paint that area with Stainless Steel PAINT............OR Appy EMS paste and can it good .....If I glass bead, leaves the metal White, Then I do vibrate in my Big Tumbler to semi polish the glass beaded area back to look like ???

I also have One NOS Upper and One Used 1st design Upper to try and make look "better"
Attached Images

70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"

Last edited by CamarosRus; 06-10-2020 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:59 PM

Nice job getting them apart and cleaned up Chuck!

There are several options and not sure which method is best route in protecting them from rust. Whatever you spray on them may change the appearance. However, you could always wipe it off if you don't like it.
70 SS L78 Camaro, born with drivetrain, 4:10's & M22, Classic Copper, Concours Restored.
70 SS L78 Camaro, Antique White w/Bright blue interior, 4:10's & M21.