Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts
Default Re: HURST SUNSHINE SPECIALS

Welcome to the site. Pics would be great. I used to own that car but it had more rust than I wanted to deal with.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:48 PM

I'll try post pics as soon as can. I noticed you didn't recall where you purchased the car. And you mentioned Dr.Cruz. Well Dr.Cruz is my uncle (my dad's brother) and like you mentioned he moved from the mainland to Guam in the early 90s. The post about him being in his 80s is incorrect as he's currently in his early 50s. The man in his early 80s must have been his father in law. And I do remember the 71 R/T challenger that was also mentioned. It was plum crazy purple. What I remember and what I've been told by my father was that my uncle was offered a job on Guam as surgeon, being that Dr.Cruz is Chamorro (original people of Guam) and is originally from Guam, he took the job and shipped a few of his muscle cars back to Guam with the exception of the Camaro.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:53 PM

He was worried about storage for the car due to Guam's salty air. Like you said, at some point he fell behind on storage fees and the storage company or whoever has left to care for the car was unable to contact him. That's when he lost the car because a lien title was made and the car was sold. By the time he was able to get in contact with the storage facility the car was long gone. I know for a fact that he regrets this tremendously and does not like to speak about the car or see it online. The pic I have shows the car with the Michigan plate. And he did live in Mission Vejo for several years while his was doing his residency for his medical degree requirements or what not.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM

Also, I remember this car because it was parked at my house in Moreno Valley for period of time. I remember cleaning it with father on the weekends. My Dad told me that uncle had picked up the car cheap. I remember him saying at first Dr.Cruz was hesitant becuase of the sunroof. He figured, whoa nice car but someone chopped it up, what a waste. I guess he did some research and found out the car's history and then immediately went back and bought it. If you google pics of the car, there some pics of it where it was photographed in an area that looks sandy. Those photos where taken at a location a few minutes from our house for some Camaro book. Also, if you look at the instruction manual for a 90-92 Camaro, the Hurst Z/28 is in a pic in front of a dinner.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:09 PM

He still has a letter from GM thanking him for allowing them to use the car for photograph. I'll try and get a pic of that if he'll let me as soon as get done with my deployment. Well, sorry if I'm boring you guys, but I thought people might have been interested. I know I'm very interested in the car! The car and my uncle have had a big impact/influence on me also, as I'm a huge camaro fan. It was nice to be around such a awesome piece of muscle car history growing up. I called Legendardy Motorsports recently and they told me the car sold in the "6 figure range" and the owner was a prominent collector from the U.S. They also said he would sell it if the price was in the "6 figure range". Now if I can just convince my uncle to go buy his old car back.......
Old 05-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Wow! Great story about the car!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Thanked 3,783 Times in 1,603 Posts

----Theres little chance of boring anyone in this crowd when talking musclecar history, so "NO" worries there. Very neat car and terrific history.....Bill S
Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 PM

G28, Thaks for sharing your memories. No bordeom for me! It is rare that we hear from owners, relatives and others that know some history on a car.

Kool..... And pics would be great.

Welcome to the site.

RichP
Old 05-12-2012, 03:15 PM

http://s965.photobucket.com/albums/ae136...ser_media_share

Old 05-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Here you go!