Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-30-2015, 12:16 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Known ZL1?

Some guys are looking for functionality and others are looking for function and cosmetics. Those repairs could be made to look great with time and patience. At the ebd of the day, the block can look great but holding pressure is what matters.

Jason
Old 04-30-2015, 12:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I hear ya jason....it's always a ZL1...I'd love to have it !! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

max
Old 04-30-2015, 02:10 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperNovaSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I imagine they start with thin plate aluminum and then build beads on top of that until they get is contour close. They it is grind, check, grind, check, until it gets to the level the repairman wants. This one looks like it would benefit from a bit more grinding and checking. When it comes to original ZL1 blocks, beggers can't be choosers and most everything is repairable. Cool looking car and looks like an exciting build.

Jason </div></div>

Jason, with my &quot;052&quot; ZL-1 block, the core shift to the one side was bad. Some of the bore had just over an 1/8&quot; wall. So being a machinist by trade and understand metals, as well as being heavily into the drag racing side of the sport, we thought it best to CUT OUT the lifter bores on a 4 axis CNC. I then on my 3 axis machine, made 8 individual T6061 blocks for the lifter bore that were then welded into place and bore/honed to final size.

So the lifter bores in my block look like the bores in a Dart block with the threaded area between.

Now this one looks OK in some area's. But for me, I would have NOT let that lifter bore go like in the second picture. With the side of it out, your just asking for problem in my book. BUT MAN there has been a lot of repairs on this block. Must have been a hard life!!!!
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)