Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 01-29-2014, 12:13 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Aluminum intake cleaning/refinishing

AlumiBlast paint works really nice if you choose to paint the intake.. It looks natural..

Rich
Old 01-29-2014, 01:49 AM

i like bake-abrade..machine shops that are equipped use it..if you get it when the beads are new..the intake will look NOS or close.

the part gets heated then microscopic stainless beads are shot at it under pressure...its an incredible finish..i dont think its right for a top level resto..but close...if they have used the beads for a long time, or dont keep the machine clean it will be dull..looks almost like magnesium..its imbedding dirt..

i had an intake done and it was red..my intake went in right after 3 sets of rusty exh...manifolds...it transferred the rust to my intake...sucked..never could get the red tinge off..

you wouldnt believe what it does for cast iron..its absolutely incredible...you have to look around but its getting more popular..with the ban on chemicals ets..cheap too..
Old 01-30-2014, 12:14 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marxjunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like bake-abrade..machine shops that are equipped use it..if you get it when the beads are new..the intake will look NOS or close.

the part gets heated then microscopic stainless beads are shot at it under pressure...its an incredible finish..i dont think its right for a top level resto..but close...if they have used the beads for a long time, or dont keep the machine clean it will be dull..looks almost like magnesium..its imbedding dirt..

i had an intake done and it was red..my intake went in right after 3 sets of rusty exh...manifolds...it transferred the rust to my intake...sucked..never could get the red tinge off..

you wouldnt believe what it does for cast iron..its absolutely incredible...you have to look around but its getting more popular..with the ban on chemicals ets..cheap too..</div></div>

Sounds like a variation of shot blasting.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:32 AM

i agree..just not so harsh..i talked to my machinist today..i'm getting ready to send him a couple intakes..i'll post pics...

the cabinet heats the part to 300 degrees..and the shot is finer than sand and its round..and very expensive..i will get some pics if i can...very cool set up..i really like the finish it leaves...
Old 02-09-2014, 04:09 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Rose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lacquer thinner is the best thing I've used. If the intake is off the engine, fill spray gun with the thinner, turn up the air, and spray it down hard. If it's on the engine, I put lacquer thinner on a rag and wipe it down. </div></div>My aluminum intake was blasted clean and then sprayed with clear coat.Now has yellowed a bit.Think lacquer thinner on a rag will clean it up a bit?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:54 PM

My guess is the clear tends to &quot;burn&quot;. Try the lacquer thinner on a rag, in a small spot, but don't expect much improvement in my opinion. Clearing an aluminum manifold is not the best way to go. You're better off with natural aluminum, and cleaning it once in a while with lac thinner.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Clean it with a stiff brush in a Safety Clean tank or I like to spray it to death with brake clean or carb clean. Lacquer thinner is good too. They are not really suppose to look to uniform or smooth. Just like the Z/28 valve covers, they should be dull and aluminum looking. I never bead blast or buy a blasted intake. I personally don't think they look right.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:22 PM

X2 Sam...never blast a manifold. Brake clean or spirits to clean back to new.

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM

THAT is why you are going to be one of my head Instructors!