Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Preservation forum

Old 11-09-2019, 09:54 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Everytime I smell "original" Lysol I think of my first 69 Chevelle that had a moldy interior and used a healthy dose of Lysol to clean it up.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 PM

Thanked 3,398 Times in 1,241 Posts

After pulling the seats, inspecting under the carpets and checking the cowl plenum for any signs of mice, I've come to the conclusion there's no critters nesting in the car or any evidence there's ever been any. Everything is clean and dry throughout. There's also no mold, mildew or any evidence of moisture ever getting into the original carpets, so my suspicions of the car once being host to some mothballs may be accurate. In any case, my local shine girl who not only polishes cars but details interiors, told me to use AGI EEZ cleaner on the carpets and seat backs and said it should kill any odors dead in their tracks. I sprayed them with 12oz of this live enzyme odor killer and after it drying for the last 3 hours, I will now head out to neutralize the cleaner and wipe things down with a wet cloth before I vacuum it out.

Pie plates with coffee grinds will be added inside the car and the interior can now go back into the car. Once it's been buttoned up for a few days with the windows cracked, I'll check it out and report back as to the odor being neutralized or not. I'm pretty confident this stuff will have done the job. If there's any residual odor after this, she said she'd put me onto a dry cleaning solution that I can spray onto the headliner that won't stain it. That will only be done if it's absolutely needed.

Last edited by NorCam; 11-12-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:11 PM

Being a bit of a coffee hound myself, I've chosen a vintage bottle of Whiskey Barrel Coffee to be ground up and added to the pie plates that will be placed inside the car. This stuff tastes great, and smells good too. It should give the interior an aromatic spike for a short while.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Where did you get the AGI stuff?
Old 11-10-2019, 11:18 PM

Company is called Nypower Industries, a local chemical company here in Alberta who cater to agricultural cleaners and they sell through distribution. I'm sure there are a host of similar products like some that were suggested in this thread and a few that have active enzymes that destroy odor and bacteria. I chose this because it was local, and it was inexpensive at $12.00 for 1 gallon. Of that I only used about 10-12 ounces.

I just wiped everything down with Citra-solve and warm water on a damp cloth to neutralize the enzymes and will head out to vacuum everything up in about 20 minutes. Car smells great inside but the results will be known better once the smell of the cleaners dissipates.
napa68 (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 03:12 AM

OK...

Everything within the interior has been cleaned, disinfected and deodorized to remove any odor. Wife has already said this is the most thorough cleaning she has ever seen me perform in any car so I'm hoping this works. I finished the carpets, washed down all the vinyl before reinstalling the seats and also wiped down the headliner, visors and all the seat belt fabric. It's squeaky clean in there now and everything is buttoned up with the windows cracked. I put two pie plates with some fresh ground coffee in there as well.

Here's to it smelling like an espresso factory in a couple of days.

Last edited by NorCam; 11-11-2019 at 05:00 PM.