Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 11-05-2002, 11:42 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Chevy orange engine paint ?

I believe Dupli color also has a ceramic spray can paint that looks pretty good, I have seen a few like this. We use a single stage urethane with a flattener on our cars.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:39 AM

Hi! Here was my solution to the orange engine paint color needs: I went to the local auto paint store supplier and and had them mix up some orange that matched the 1969 Camaro Ora <font color="orange"> </font color> [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] nge paint color that was used on the body run, had it filled up and charged into spray cans! Worx pretty good for me but make sure you have the proper room and paint can temperature prior to painting this way as well as having the block, etc. up to paintable temperatures.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:24 AM

Problem with most rattlecans is that they are too glossy. Original engine paint is a semi-gloss.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:56 AM

Kurt is right, most rattle can paints are too glossy. I have always used Dupont Centari enamel with a hardener. To get the correct sheen or gloss I will add a flatening agent unless the car will be driven a lot then I do not add it. I like to be able to clean the engine with a rag and window cleaner or similar product so I usually leave them glossy. Oh the color I use is Hugger Orange as it is not as red as the original paint and it just looks better. Also by using the Centari, or any other brand of enamel with hardener, the color will not change as much and it will not flake and peel off if done properly. Check out the picture of a 69 SS396 driver I did last year. This is just my two cents worth also........................RatPack............... ...... [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Chevy orange paint code?

Micky, Kurt, and RatPack,
I was at our local restoration shop today and he had collected about five different paint samples all called Chevy Engine Orange. Out of the bunch, the POR-15 was much more red than the others. The colors of the others were between the POR-15 and the more yellow "Mopar Hemi" orange.

Do any of you have a color code that you believe is the closest to the original Chevy Orange? Is it the POR-15 color? If not, what is the code for the DuPont Centari paint?

Any help is appreciated, the shop is restoring a 1967 big block Camaro and he wants to get it right..

Thanks in advance!
-Sam
Old 01-01-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Chevy orange paint code?

Great post, I think the prep is as important as the paint job. When I was a kid the engine came out of my 73 every winter just for paint. It always seemed to peel off the cylinder heads, from the heat I'm sure. I want to pull the 396 from my newly acquired Nova and paint it but this time I have to do my homework on prep as well as paint. Marc
Old 01-02-2005, 01:35 AM

I had recently considered starting a similar thread until this one resurfaced!
My 70 and 72 Monte's (BB and SB both original engine paint on the blocks prior to restorations), definately were more red than chevy orange? I was told that it was a result of the paint batches/pigments settling throughout a production paint run. Anyone else seen similar color variations.
70 340 Dart Swinger
70 SS396 Chevelle 4spd
70 SS396 Chevelle
70 BB 4spd Monte Carlo
70 SS454 Monte Carlo
71 SB 4spd Monte Carlo
71 SS454 Monte Carlo
71 Corvette LS-5 conv.
71 Corvette LT-1 conv.
71 Corvette LS-6 coupe
72 Monte Carlo
72 Monte Carlo Custom
72 442 W-30 clone
76 Trans Am SE 455 4 spd
85 Mustang GT Conv.
86 Grand National
02 SS conv.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:37 PM

I used the POR 15 and it has been 2 years,3500 miles and it still looks new.I have never been able to get the regular chevy orange spray paint to stay this nice.Of course my car is not a concourse show car and 100% originality was not a big concern but I will not ever use the spray paint again!I am also doing a 69 mopar 340 and POR 15 will go on it also.
Bobby Dodson
Old 01-06-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had recently considered starting a similar thread until this one resurfaced!
My 70 and 72 Monte's (BB and SB both original engine paint on the blocks prior to restorations), definately were more red than chevy orange? I was told that it was a result of the paint batches/pigments settling throughout a production paint run. Anyone else seen similar color variations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thinkk this is why there has been no definite "best" brand/shade/etc. of Chevy Orange paint... because there wasn't alot of consistency even on the originals. I have seen everything from a very "orangey" orange, to almost red on original blocks, and really the only thing consistent was that it was never very glossy, although that too can have variation and change over time... I've noticed that when you first fire a newly painted engine the paint seems to "gloss up" alot until the paint fully heat-cures, then it dulls back. I'd imagine the factory paint did the same thing, and likely dulled even farther with time. I would think theres a little room for "personal preference" in this area, without being considered "incorrect".