Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-04-2005, 05:36 AM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts
Default Re: AMT 65 Falcon "F/X" model

Bill, those are too cool. Hmmm, the last model I built was a big block Nova..I painted it Hugger Orange. I spent the better part of a week building it. I think it was eventually blown up with an M-80.

I'm not a pyromaniac...no, really I'm not!!

Hey Sam, How's your son doing? We still keep him in our prayers.

Bruce
Old 01-04-2005, 06:21 AM

Those two models came out perfect!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:51 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

427TJ... Awesome Models! A tip that was given to me a little while back that makes a tremendous difference -- detail the battery either with red or yellow knobs!
Old 01-07-2005, 03:14 AM

427TJ, I'm into the old model trucks from the seventies that dad and I used to build. I'm wondering if all these new releases of old kits will drive the collectable market into the ground. My hunch is it will. One kit that will never be released again is the Petty Hauler. It is a Ford Car Hauler with a Dart Circle track car on top. Petty put and end to the kit faster than he said bye to Ford. Buy it if you can find it....very rare. I'm waiting for the Kenworth Mixer to be released again. They sell for a minimum of 150.00 now. A new release would help me but it's a waiting game. Nice cars by the way. Marc
Old 01-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

No, new releases of old kits will not hurt the collector market. Old kits will always be old kits. I'm all for the re-release of old kits so we can save our collections and build the new releases. I'd say that new releases of old kits, even with the original box art, makes the original kits even more valuable. People think, "Hell, anyone can have a new one, mine is an original."

Think of a perfect clone of a ZL-1 Camaro. Is it real? Well, it's certainly a real car, it's just not an original, factory-built COPO. Well-built clones bring large dollars but the same factory-built version will always be worth more.

Lately I've begun building some of my old collectible kits. I used to think that if I built an old kit then I was committing a 'crime' against history. Well, along came eBay and you can buy just about any old kit any day of the week all the time. Attached is a photo of an Aurora Fokker Dr-1. It's an original kit molded in the early 1960s. I bought it on eBay for less than $25 just to build. I built one of these in about 1969 when I was 7 and loved it. I wanted to build this one in the original candy apple red plastic that Aurora was famous for in the 1955-65 period. I call this one the "Candy Apple Red Baron." The crosses are hand-painted because the kit decals were way too old to be used.

BUILD THEM.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2005, 09:24 AM

Manfred would have been stylin' in that candy apple! Looks great. I hope what you say about the collectable market is true. I still have a couple of my father's untouched kits. One has a receipt stuck to it for $7.00. Marc