Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-06-2020, 06:01 PM

Default Looking at this 69SS..Worth it?

Im currently in the market for a 69 Chevelle SS in Lemans Blue..I came across this one on the internet and was wondering if you guys think it could be original and worth what hes asking..The seller says it is ( mostly) original, and it looks like it could be, but there are so many scammers out there... there is also a build sheet that looks to be original he sent me as well..

https://topnotchvehicles.com/gallery...6-super-sport/

Seems to be the same vehicle on here too...which shows a copy of the build sheet

https://www.viccicarauctions.com/det...elle-ss-140487
Attachments - The Supercar Registry side view1.jpg side view 2.jpg shippingsheet.jpg sales order.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-06-2020, 06:13 PM

Thanked 136,488 Times in 22,778 Posts

Hoods pins and no AIR - yep - they are the same car.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:38 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,599 Posts

----Not a bad 69 but I think you can do better in this market......Bill S
Old 10-06-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
----Not a bad 69 but I think you can do better in this market......Bill S
Do you mean do better on price or a better car??

I have been looking for about a month and havent really found much that I am interested in... I am only interested in buying a 69 Lemans Blue SS .
Old 10-06-2020, 06:45 PM

Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,599 Posts

----One or the other or both. A bit harder if you are looking for a specific color......Bill S
Old 10-06-2020, 09:19 PM

Thanked 1,510 Times in 725 Posts

You've been looking for a month? I've been looking for a 69 Chevelle SS for 8 years and still haven't found what I want, but I have a very specific must-have list.

A dead giveaway that it's the same car in both of your links is the strange woodgrain panel above the radio. It's unfortunate that the block has been decked. Does the build sheet indicate the D96 Sport Striping as a factory option? If so, then the car has probably been repainted because it would have originally had a white stripe. If not, then the striping could have been added after the car was originally built. At any rate, the build sheet is certainly a great thing to have, provided it's real.

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60

Last edited by Bill Pritchard; 10-06-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pritchard View Post
You've been looking for a month? I've been looking for a 69 Chevelle SS for 8 years and still haven't found what I want, but I have a very specific must-have list.

A dead giveaway that it's the same car in both of your links is the strange woodgrain panel above the radio. It's unfortunate that the block has been decked. Does the build sheet indicate the D96 Sport Striping as a factory option? If so, then the car has probably been repainted because it would have originally had a white stripe. If not, then the striping could have been added after the car was originally built. At any rate, the build sheet is certainly a great thing to have, provided it's real.
Yes, it is the same car in both the links, I know that for a fact, just the one link gave some different pictures...

yes the build sheet does indicate a D96 Accent stripe. From my research the stripe would be black on this car since it has a black vinyl top. It would be white if it did not have the black vinyl roof.

The build sheet does look real, alot of it isnt legible ... If it is fake they did a damn good job ..haha... there are sections of it missing and alot of rusty dark color , it definitly looks like the real ones i have seen before...

I just started looking actually and its been awhile since i was in the market for a classic car and im amazed on how things changed... There are definintly alot less to choose from now than there were 10 years ago when i bought my 68 camaro..

I am looking for pretty specific car as well, so that does make it harder... Lemans blue, black vinyl top, parchment interior, 4 speed, L78...that would be ideal, but most likely not going to find that...So i will have to settle on something close and change it if i have to.

Last edited by 68SS496; 10-06-2020 at 09:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 68SS496 For This Useful Post:
Bill Pritchard (10-07-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:45 PM

Thanked 136,488 Times in 22,778 Posts

Is that the top end of your budget? $50K. Do you care about all the date codes being correct or are you just looking for a solid driver? A Cars & Coffee show car.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:11 PM

Im not really particular about it being date coded correct, that would be super hard to find and out of my budget...Mostly looking for a nice driver..

My dad ordered one when he was 21 in November of 68.. He had it delivered on Dec 18, 1968 ...Unfortunately, like most people he had to sell in it 1972 due to his upcoming marriage to my mom and needed money...Since I was a little kid he was always telling me stories about that car , street racing it against his buddies in other cars, taking it to the track etc etc... Those stories always stuck with me and I always wanted to get back his car and give it to him. He is 73 now and I'd like to find something similar as he had and give it to him so he can drive it again, while he still can. Ive tried desperately to find his actual Chevelle, but every avenue is a dead end.. Since I have the VIN ,I got information from the DMV but all that came back was an old encumbrance from 1983 and the gentleman doesnt live at that address anymore, and i cant seem to find a valid phone number. He still has the carbon copy of the sales sheet stashed away with leftover parts he had from the car that he is still keeping. This is how he ordered it... and what Im trying to duplicate

A51 - strato bucket seats
A82 - head restraints
C08 - Vinyl roof cover/Black
D55- Center console
G80- posi traction
G84 - 4.10 rear axle
L78 - 375Hp 396
M21- 4 speed close ratio
N40 - power steeering
U35- Electric clock
U80- AM push button radio
Z25- SS 396 package
791- Parchment / black vinyl trim
924- 71-71 Lemans Blue
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68SS496 For This Useful Post:
cruiserofland (10-07-2020), dykstra (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 12:36 AM

Thanked 1,510 Times in 725 Posts

My bad on the stripe color, since I do not want a vinyl top I wasn't familiar with the nuances of stripe color with different vinyl top colors. I really don't think the car you linked in this post is terribly overpriced, and it seems to have a lot going for it. If it's as nice as it's being advertised to be and you could get it for around $42 - $45K I think you'd be OK. Nice that it still has all the original interior, and now with the stripe color not being an issue, the possibility of at least partial original paint is also a plus for the type of car you're looking for. The 350hp 396 is still a fairly strong engine but not as fussy as the 375hp. Very cool that you're trying to find something close to your dad's old car. Your dad is only 4 yrs older than me and Lord knows I still love getting out and going thru the gears, so hopefully he will get to enjoy it too.

The OO of my convertible ordered it in late November of 68 and she took delivery of it on January 17, 1969, so close to the same time frame as your dad's car

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60

Last edited by Bill Pritchard; 10-07-2020 at 12:39 AM.