Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-09-2005, 04:29 AM

Default NCIB Report

I posted this in the Misc. Dealer section but my old post has grown rather stale. My brother-in-law has agreed to help me get a NCIB report for the Nova I bought this past Summer. Can any of you clue me in as to what info. I can look forward to finding on this report? I'm really psyched but I can't wait a week to see what I'm going to get. Marc
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts
Default Re: NCIB Report

I think it varies on the discretion of who filed it back in the day.All mine showed was the day/date it was taken delivery of by the selling dealer.
I've read others on here have much more detail then mine.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:07 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

It's NICB (National Insurance Crime Bureau) and what it will tell you is the date of shipping from the factory and its destination dealer code. Nothing more. This is very nice if you have a Yenko and want to verify that it was shipped to Yenko Chevrolet. Alternatively, if the VIN gets no results in the NICB database that means the car is a fake and the VIN was made up. NICB has the shipping data records on every vehicle produced since they began producing them! It's microfiched somewhere secret out west.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alternatively, if the VIN gets no results in the NICB database that means the car is a fake and the VIN was made up. NICB has the shipping data records on every vehicle produced since they began producing them!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had searches on a number of cars in the past and at least 20% of the time there are not records with NICB and/or they contain incorrect information. In fact, for my 69 Yenko Camaro NICB listed it being delivered to a boat dealer in Alabama. A subsequent title search showed it was bought new at Colonial Chevrolet in VA. Keep in mind of the millions and millions of vehicles sold there are countless errors and many of the VINs are not on file with NICB.

The records will generally show the shipping date from the factory, the zone and dealer code, and the name and address of the dealer.

If you can get the report, it is great as a piece of documentation for a potential Yenko, Nickey, Baldwin Motion, Dana, etc. It also gives you a starting point for tracing the history of your car.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:21 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

I'll clarify what I meant. NICB is extremely helpful for finding bogus cars where the engine code is in the VIN, like a Mopar. If they were running an alleged 71 hemicuda ragtop (hypothetical VIN example BS27R1B100001) and the last 6 numerical sequence digits match but lo and behold the actual VIN on file is BH27C1B100001, then they just proved the car is a fake and is actually a 6 cyl barracuda ragtop.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the correction guys - NICB. I guess I'm not out to discover any earthshaking info. about the car. It was bought to be a non-numbers matching driver but I guess I want to learn all I can about it and it may be a good practice run for the day I buy something a little pricier.