Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-30-2010, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Any Ideas on Engine Starting Problem?

I had a similar problem with my 68 Z. It ended up being a bad spring ring battery cable. If I squeezed the cable end with pliers the car would start. If you are using those cables give the end a squeeze on the battery post.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 AM

I did not see if you had headers or a big block but this kind of problem can happen when the starter and wires get hot. Remember they installed heat shields on big block cars to help fix this type of problem. I would still go back to the starter and battery and verify everything is working properly. Just because they are new does not mean they do not have a problem.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:04 AM

It's a stock car with 350 engine, auto and stock cast exhaust manifolds, etc. I do have spring ring cables and have made sure they are clean and tight. I also took the ground screw out on the radiator support on the passenger side that attaches the ground wires and used emory cloth to make a good metal-to-metal connection. As to the copper ground cables between the engine block and firewall and frame they are all there and securely attached. When I turn the key the "single click sound" seems to originate under the dash and the batt and generator lights light up (red)as I turn the key. No overheating problems, etc and the battery is not going dead and remains fully charged. It's kind of embarrasing to drive it to a car show and not be able to move it after I shut it off. This is frustrating....
Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

I would start by changing out battery cables. I have seen crimped cables that looked perfect but were junk.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:09 AM

The symptoms are typical of a corroded or rusted terminal block located behind the battery. I run a temporary jumper wire from the positive battery cable to the horn relay terminal marked battery. If the engine starts with the jumper in place you will need to clean the connection behind the battery on the little plastic terminal block. This is a very common ailment on the Camaros. Clint
Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 AM

It is my experience that if it is a bad ground or a bad connection there would be a voltage drop or a "repetition of clicks sound" just like a low battery. Plus he said if he jumps it with another power source it starts right up overcoming the bad spot on the starter. Bench testing is hard to duplicate a starter bolted on an engine. For some reason, starters like to stop in the same spot.

Bill
Old 06-30-2010, 02:24 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

I had the single "click" problem on my 69 Pace Car. It was the repro spring ring battery cables. The neg cable would not hold tight enough to the battery terminal. It would give one click and nothing more. I would then pop the hood push the clamp down hard against the battery and it would start normally.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,140 Posts

Do the headlights also shut down when the click thing happens?.
If so it sure sounds like connection, ground, wiring or solenoid problems more than the starter body itself?.
Using jumper cables from your own battery, create a direct ground by clamping the negative end to your starter itself and trying it again..
If no-go there, unhook the neg. cable and create direct positive to the starter connections using your battery jumper lead clamped to a long screwdriver if necessary to access the connections...being careful may involve slipping heater hose or something over the screwdriver shaft and/or getting the screwdriver end in first then having someone else hook up the live end?.

Good luck!.
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

Old 06-30-2010, 06:13 PM

Possible bad switch or connection through your firewall. I am almost positive Camaro is the same as Nova. A red battery wire comes from behind the battery through the front wiring harness to the firewall connector then to the switch. From the switch back out to the starter. You may have a bad contact on your switch or firewall connector? Just a couple of spots to check.

Jason
Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 PM

I also think it is probably in the cables or ground straps. The only other thing to check that I can think of would be the Neutral safety switch but that won't normally cause the click sound.

Tommy [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]