Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM

Default Re: I must really be out of touch

(correction to the above post, noticed this too late to edit--the rods will be SCAT "I" beams, not "H" beams)
Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,069 Times in 903 Posts

This is something I fight everyday in my business. As some of you know, I own a couple of NAPA Auto Parts stores. Not a day goes by where we do not have a conversation somewhere close to this. The discussion can involve................."I can buy that for $XXXX here.................or I found that part for $ _______ online. Better yet, "can you tell me why this part "___________________________" to only find out it was purchased elsewhere or online.

What I find discouraging is.................everyone wants the input a seasoned counterman can provide but, do not want to pay the price to the local store that pays to employ these people. I am done venting now. time to watch football!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Its crazy do these people not realize computers are replacing them. I was at the bank yesterday waiting my turn. When i reached a bank teller she said to me she can not believe people line up for tellers when as she said our bank machines can do as much as she could . I am thinking when shes laid off she will rethink her comments
Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I worked close to 35 years behind a counter and as a warehouse sales rep. No computer can have as much stored information as there is in a stack of obsolete parts books and in the brain of a really good parts guy. Why you say....? A whole lot of information, obsoleted part numbers, pictures, plus real world experience isn't catalogued into a "pick one from each column" computer program. I have no problem using a computer, as long as I have that stack of obsolete printed information to refer to when the computer leads me down the garden path to oblivion. The computer is just fine doing what it does best, and that is pricing and printing invoices.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 11-14-2011, 03:59 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Eric,

I read this and then went online shopping (don't hate the Jets are on). I was looking for a price on the jacket in the attached screen shot and almost fell off my chair.

You better start shopping at the SportsBasement.com

If its hard to read...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Where´s the price?
Just give us a call at (800) 869-6670 x4, and we´ll hook you up with the price and help you place an order over the phone. In fact, we´ll give you free shipping on your order, just for giving us a call. We´re kinda really excited to hear from you, you know.

So why can´t you just show the price online?
It´s basically because we´re too awesome. We want to be sure we have the lowest prices on the web, so we cut them so far below the regular price that the manufacturers won´t let us advertise them! So call soon and don´t leave us hangin´!</span>