Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-04-2012, 04:37 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,111 Times in 664 Posts
Default Re: Canadian COPO at Autorama

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanCOPO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen:
It's time to tweak the car and address a few minor issues as per your pointers and advice. As always your input has been much appreciated. Quick question. Black rockers? CRG says all COPOs had black rockers yet very few of the pics of restored COPOs have black rockers. Comments? </div></div>

Body color rockers on a style trim car are a common restoration error. Your car should have black rockers.

You asked; these are comments intended to improve an already impressive car.

-Alternator fan &amp; pulley should be silver cad plated.
-Far too much overspray on intake. It was covered during painting.
-Floor plugs appear to be in upside down. They were galvanized and should not be black.
-Exhaust system should have resonators. Everyone misinterprets the recall notice. The ONLY application that did initially not have them was Z/28. Vintage photos of ZL-1 #3 show it was built with resonators.
-Backside of wheels should be satin black. Wheels were received raw at the plant, washed and dip-primed black. The face of the wheel was later painted in enamel with either gloss black or body color. There was slight overspray on the backside.
-Door latches were in place when the doors were painted. Latch and screws should be body color. Not sure about trunk latch.
-Hood latch appears to be black. Should be mostly grey phosphate; spring was black.
-Missing leaf spring tags.
-Wheel wells should be undercoated.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 AM

Good lookin car, and that 427 was a dream to drive on the street back in the day. Just gotta love that Can. documentation.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 AM

I´m not an expert so maybe I shouldn´t comment on this great looking car. When I first saw the pictures of it restored I said to myself: &quot;they restored it to better than new condition since there is no overspray on the floors from spraying the rockers&quot;. I never thought about that they should be black instead.
So now I wonder about overspray on the underside of the floors: should there be just little or any orange on the underside of the floors since this is a style trim car ?

I just love this car. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 PM

The feedback is awesome. As always, thanks and very much appreciated. The collective input from the group has and will help me get this car back to where it needs to be.
1965 Pontiac Lemans
Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 AM

I love that car! If the rockers were painted black, there would be no black overspray on the floors, just the orange. And my sills were painted different on each side. This is my survivor 69 SS:

Floors:

1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire, Factory all Aluminum V8 Turbocharged and Methanol Injected TURBO ROCKET engine, 4 speed Hydramatic, 4 link rear suspension, 3.36 differential, California car, PS, PB, PW, AC, Jetfire 2 option package.