Old 09-11-2021, 10:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thank You Lee, as always, Great Work

Gregg
The Following User Says Thank You to ruralrte66 For This Useful Post:
Lee Stewart (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 12:45 PM

Thank you Lee for posting these photos. We should never forget what took place that day and the heroes who lost their lives trying to save so many people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Rifkin For This Useful Post:
Lee Stewart (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,077 Times in 1,321 Posts

I'll never forget that day. Like many I was in a product development meeting. Our meeting was interrupted when we were notified of the first plane hitting the WTC and there was disbelief. The meeting continued on, and then the second plane hit. At that time a colleague stated " "I don't think anything we do in this room today will matter in comparison". With that we dispersed in true disbelief which continued as the events of that day continued to unfold...

We shall never forget.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 09-11-2021, 03:18 PM

Thanked 3,613 Times in 712 Posts

Lee,

As always Thank You for taking the time and using your resources to provide the most amazing photos for us to view.

Unfortunately today is a day to look back 20 years ago for those who paid the ultimate price.

That morning I was working outside in the field for my employer.
I happened to be next to an auto tire store and a counter person came running out shouting about a plane crash in downtown New York.
I went over into their waiting room to see the TV that they were looking at and I was shocked to the core. The hair on my arms actually stood up as I watched the second plane plow into the other tower.

The horror of that day will never go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60sStuff For This Useful Post:
Lee Stewart (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 04:16 PM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Windows On The World was a favorite resturant of mine for taking lower Manhattan business clients for lunch. In fact I had lunch there with my top premier client (Marine Midland Bank) Operations Vice President the previous Friday.

I was scheduled to be in my office in Lynbrook, L.I. at 9AM. Following my customary morning routine; get up at 6:30 AM, get the coffee going, put the news on the kitchen TV and relax before the day started. I was planning on leaving the house a couple of minutes before 9 as the office was less a mile away.

And at 8:47 AM as I am finishing getting dressed, the news flashing that a plane has hit the World Trade Center. How was this possible? It was a sunny day with no clouds? And then 15 minutes later was the horriffic footage of the second plane smashing into the WTC.

I called my business partner who immediatly asked; "are you watching this?" I told him yes and then told him I would stay in touch throughout the day and that I wasn't coming in. " Please call Lori and June at the office and send them home."

I ran upstairs to my bedroom which was three stories higher then street level and I could see the smoke in the distance.

I spent the rest of the day at home watching the horrible events unfold and realizing that this was going to affect our business as I had 7 clients in the WTC including premier client Swiss Bank whose VP of Operations was a close business friend. I called Paul's house to offer my condolences to his wife who I knew from many dinners out. She answered the phone, and as I am in tears trying to get the words out she says; "Lee, do you want to speak with Paul?" "WHAT?" "He wasn't feeling well this morning and decided to call in sick."

I can't explain the anguish and heartache of attending 6 funerals knowing there was nothing in the coffins.

Two months latter I made the decision to get out of NY.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
60sStuff (09-11-2021), 67since67 (09-11-2021), Billohio (09-13-2021), dustinm (09-11-2021), HawkX66 (09-13-2021), L_e_e (09-11-2021), PeteLeathersac (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 04:50 PM

Thanked 3,613 Times in 712 Posts

There are a number of Amazing story’s from that day.

The story of Glenn Vogt (manager of Windows on the World) is a “need to read ”story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 60sStuff For This Useful Post:
earntaz (09-12-2021), Lee Stewart (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 04:50 PM

Thanked 3,930 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

As the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks were unfolding, then-Air Force Lt. Heather Penney was given a mission to intercept hijacked United Airlines Flight 93 before it reached Washington, D.C. The rookie F-16 pilot said she believed she would not come back from that mission.

At first, Penney said it wasn't immediately clear that an airplane had been deliberately flown into the World Trade Center. When the second plane hit, "that's when we knew that our nation was under attack."

She went to arm her aircraft, but there wasn't enough time. She and another pilot, Marc Sasseville, had to get in the air.

"We did not have missiles. We were on a suicide mission. And in order to be able to take any airliner down, Sass would ram his aircraft into the cockpit where the terrorists were, to destroy the flight controls," she explained. "I would take the tail by ramming my jet into the tail of the aircraft, I would aerodynamically unbalance the airplane and tip it over so it would crash straight into the ground by targeting both ends of the aircraft. It was our plan to prevent any additional casualties."

After witnessing the horror of the attacks in New York, she said she understood what needed to be done.

"I had raised my hand and swore an oath to protect and defend our nation," she said. "If this was where the universe had placed me at this moment in time... that this was my purpose. Anyone who had been in our position would have been willing to do the same thing. And the proof is in the pudding, because the passengers on Flight 93 did."
This lady is a true American hero by any definition of the word! She had sworn to and was prepared to sacrifice all for her country and fellow Americans.

I fear that too few in this country appreciate their freedoms and and the sacrifices made past and present to achieve and keep those freedoms.

A childhood friend who's parents and grandparents were friends of my parents was on flight 77 that hit the Pentagon. That brought it home to the small farming community where I grew up.
I had been in Manhattan and drove right by the towers a month before the attack.

I am leaving shortly to do my shift at a vigil for local fallen Vietnam Veterans. This is a day of double remembrances for me.

Thank you Lee for this post and all that you post here!

Bill W
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 67since67 For This Useful Post:
60sStuff (09-11-2021), Billohio (09-13-2021), dustinm (09-11-2021), earntaz (09-12-2021), Lee Stewart (09-11-2021), L_e_e (09-11-2021), PeteLeathersac (09-11-2021)