Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 02-01-2004, 08:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to mmcporter
Default Re: 70 LS6

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, if you don't enjoy your car, why have it!

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems like a simple and logical question, Jeff, but I feel pretty strongly that many folks in the "hobby" are not in fact in the hobby, but looking for a refuge from their poor performing stock portfolios. To them, making a quick buck is what this hobby is all about.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

No doubt about that. I bought my JL8 car because I wanted to have something different that if I had to sell it would hold more value than most Camaros. My 401K isn't exactly performing very well either.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to mmcporter

[ QUOTE ]
No doubt about that. I bought my JL8 car because I wanted to have something different that if I had to sell it would hold more value than most Camaros. My 401K isn't exactly performing very well either.

[/ QUOTE ]

You actually might want to check your most recent 401K statement; mine has started bouncing back again

Seriously though, there are a lot of people now in the hobby that NEVER drive their cars, nor do they ever intend to. They are buying whatever the market says will increase in value the fastest. It's always been a nice side benefit of this hobby to expect some appreciation in the car's value, but that shouldn't be the only reason to buy a classic car.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:47 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Heck, I drove my '67 Camaro RS/SS 396 in the snow a few weeks ago. Well, the snow started during my drive and the streets were clear. Here in Seattle the 'cabin fever' sets in after several weeks of gray skies so I had to get the Camaro out for a little therapy session. The best part is about 20 minutes after I get home and close up the garage. I go out there and the whole garage smells of a mixture of 100LL Avgas/92 octane, a tinge of burned oil (105,000-mile motor), rubber and vinyl. You just don't get that from new cars. Brain cells? Who cares! I just love the way the garage smells after a drive.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also while BE rears are hard to come by they aren't impossible and since that is one of the "key" COPO components people are even restamping them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg, I know of a guy right now that is building a Yenko clone, actually really good fake. He started with an X66 that was originally an L35 minus the engine. The rear was coded BL and he restamped the L to E. The kicker to this whole deal is that it is right in the middle of the first 50 Yenkos built in 69! I know that there are a few things that I will not mention here that will give the car away, but to the unknowing it could be passed off as legit. This situation is not the norm for most clones as the car is the fake. Now let me tell you what I looked at this weekend.

I had a guy send me to look at a car in Atlanta on Saturday. It was supposed to be a legit documented big block. Well everything was correct on the car, original engine, trans, rear, and even the shocks! No restamps here. This thing was beautiful! The owner gave me all of the documentation and I went and made copies at a local Kinkos. Well last night during the boring part of the SuperBowl I discovered the buildsheet was a fake! A very good one at that. A few things that gave it away were that some of the codes were wrong for his application. The shock numbers and the radiator hose codes were wrong. Not something I would have caught while looking at the car but only upon closer inspection. The fonts on some of the numbers were not the same as the original sheets I had for other cars built around the time his was. I told the possible buyer that the car was probably legit but the paperwork was bogus. He said the he would have to do some checking with previous owners to find out where the docs got bogused up before considering this car for purchase. So here is a situation where the paperwork was made to help document a car that really could have stood on its own without it.

About the only way we can keep this hobby honest is to police it ourselves. When everyone realizes that a trim tag, buildsheet, window sticker, or POP are items that should not be allowed to be reproduced, then the fakes are going to get harder to detect.

BTW, didn't someone get in a fight with the guy that repros the POP's at Bloomington a few years ago?...... .........RatPack...........
Old 02-03-2004, 02:28 AM

I think it is unfortunate that the "speculators" and folks that are not true enthusiast have driven the prices to the levels that they are. This only encourages the fraud and desception that is going on. While I don't think it really matters to some whether their car is a "clone" or "fake" or that the documents are "bogus" it ultimatly hurts all in the hobby. Anytime people are trying to get magazine coverage or enhance a reputation as "the guy with all the cool cars," by passing off bogus cars it trickles down to the guys that just want to own the car of their dreams. For every guy that has the funds to absorb the loss on a bogus car, there are dozens that it ruins and causes them to loose interest in old cars. The thing I think that is important to remember is that while Yenkos, COPO's and the liek are hot now and people will pay big money for them...will they always??? Doubtful...What happens when the market takes a downward turn and all of the "speculators" and guys that routinely trade cars amongst themselves in the hopes of making a turd into a creampuff get out?? The "little guy" that is fortunate enough to buy what he thinks is a "good" car gets hurt unless he does homework..I had to tell a Yenko owner this weekend some info that I think he already knew..that his 100k+ investment was more than likely a re-body...Now for him, it might not be a big deal..for me it would have amounted to a huge loss...Until the hobby forgets the dollar signs and the true enthusiast reclaims the market there will always be the crooks.

It is interesting the amount of info I found out over the last few days regarding Yenkos/COPO's and the number of cars that are in "big name" colelctions that have questionable histories..Some own them because they don't care, some don't know, and some don't want to know..What really hurts is when these cars get passed around among others in the "know" and the prices go up each time and the "history" gets cloudier... It is ultimatly up to us to make sure that we "police" ourselves and the cars.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this one has been discussed before, but does anyone have any info about this car, or this dealer? Seems a bit high priced for a hardtop, or is this what the LS6 cars are bringing nowadays?

http://www.desertautosport.com/main....l&CarID=97

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone may have mentioned earlier this car was also recently listed on ebay. I didn't follow it to the close but with about 4 hrs. remaining the high bid was $77,000 and the reserve had not been met.