Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 02-11-2021, 01:45 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,768 Times in 747 Posts

I'm not a Pontiac guy but assuming the black console lid is not correct? Looks like a Chinese booster? Some pretty heavy pitting on the restored suspension pieces so guessing there has been some sheet metal replacement?

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 02-11-2021, 09:02 PM

I’ve noticed some of the same things but really want someone to look at it in person. I think it is already overpriced but want an honest, hands on inspection.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:59 PM

Not to steal thunder from an inspection that will take place on Monday but...I did view this car while at this facility doing a deal on another car they had...Actually had Matt (auwrestler) on the phone while I was looking at it...
Heres a few points not in any real order...
Car is for sure numbers matching. VIN is on block but get this...The last number is 1 digit off from the VIN...I THINK the VIN last digit was supposed to be a 6 and on block it was a 7...Or the other way around...Either way this was no doubt a factory error as we have seen before...It is a YZ and dated correctly..
Correct dated Intake
Correct dated 12 Heads
Correct Exhaust Manifolds
Correct dated 7040270 Carb
Correct dated 903 open face alternator (WITH CORRECT raised fin back)
Correct THIN LIP Scoop
Correct dated 2009 Distributor
Correct PQ transmission with original tag
Correct 12-bolt axle with sway bar..
Correct Radiator
It IS a Sandlewood Interior (Rare)
All the PHS and a bunch of receipts are with car.
Correct Space Saver and Jack...
Correct 1 year only hood hinges..
Correct 1 year only M/C and prop valve set up
Correct 1 year only Power Steering / bracket set up
1973 Hood
maybe later fenders to but kind of forgot how to tell while i was standing there..
It has had Quarter Panels put on and seem to be done well...
You know many things are hard to tell when car is all together and painted..
Paint looks Good...Stripe on hood showed some minor flaws (Decal)
Repro tailights and bezels...
Interior is well done...Seat backs are older and probably not lasting that well..Chalky feel..
Guage bezels are correctly chromed with black insets..
So this car was restored...Done well to the quick look...You know the cost of concourse is out of this world right now so...have to look at these cars with a realistic mind set...
I can tell that this was a complete original driveline car before restoration..So...the question is if you saw this Car BEFORE it was restored what would it be worth then?
A complete 1970 Trans Am with all the correct parts that may need quarters....I dont see being able to buy that car i described for anything less than the 40's....I am not saying you cant find a TA needing restored for less than that i just don't think it would be this one that has its original powertrain...Yes the VIN is off 1 digit from Block but there are lots of stories like that..I had a 69 yellow bird that had a VIN one digit off from Firewall Stamp...
Does it have an effect? Maybe...Is it explainable? For Sure...
Now who ever did this resto (2013) at least took some time and care...The gas tank is New with the USS stencil on it...Lots of part number decals on it...Dash looks really nice..
I just now saw a previous post that mentioned "Pitting" on the suspension..I did not look too closely at that but the subframe was restored and looked to be pit free...
Again this car being all together COULD hide some things but the bones are really good for sure and the resto work looked to be of decent quality
Maybe this will help guide any more questions before Burd gets there on Monday...Brendan (at GR) is a good guy but does not know a lot about every car.
I am in middle of restoring a 70 RAIV TA and so i am pretty familiar with these cars...Also had Matt on phone...Whoever looks at it will certainly NOT be disappointed...I went there to looked at another "survivor" untouched car and ended up buying within 15 minutes of getting there...Actually spent more time on this car then the one I bought...
I will check back in throughout weekend to see if any questions come up that i could answer...Good Car if somebody wants a no excuse 70 TA...You could do some minor fixes and detail work and be driving what you could claim as a restored car...
Car started at 59,900 and i thinks its down to 54,900...
Show me another to compare it to at this price...
If there is real interest you wouldn't be wasting a trip. You can actually eat in a restaurant in Michigan now...Just don't forget your mask...Doesn't have to be an N95..anything will do...A scarf, disposible surgical mask, Tommy Copper Sleeve, Do Rag, T-Shirt pulled over your face...Anything is fine....THAT IS THE REAL JOKE...
The Following User Says Thank You to RamAirBirds For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 03:10 PM

forgot to mention...YES a 70 TA would have the 22387 on the TRIM TAG along with WS4...It DOES have the correct Sandlewood code...
PHS is there showing all of this..Its all correct...
Also Drivers door and lower corner (below handle) seemed a little "Fat" but the passenger did not so....MAYBE some work on that door area...
So hard to tell things about a car after inspection...
I THINK he mentioned having photos during resto...Ask but don't hold me to that.....
RA
Old 02-13-2021, 04:24 PM

Front fenders have every indication that they’re correct & original
Old 02-13-2021, 04:56 PM

The more looks the better.
A buddy locally said it’s be3n up for sale for a while. Price seems in the ballpark, I’d think an early ta would be around 50k, I’m surprised no takers. Leme know if you want me to still go, I think he did a great job going over the ta. Towards the end, the Gm console lids were only available in black. I got one 25 years ago and all I could find then was black, but it may me a repop, it was 100$ when I bought mine then. I can text you pics of the TA, or you may want to, come up for your own look. If you do, we’re getting together at Duggans on Woodward soon, I’ll do it when your in town if you have time. leme know.

Last edited by Burd; 02-13-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
Would be happy to go, but Where, in Detroit, or the suburbs?. If it’s that Jack off at rev up motors, then no. Lol.
I’ll take a F body bud with me.
Burd...If you would like to speak to me in person about being a Jack Off, please call me anytime to set this up. I won't be hiding behind a keyboard...
Old 02-14-2021, 07:43 PM

Burd, if you can, please feel free to look at the white T/A if you can. I am also in conversation with Matt (auwrestling) concerning a ‘73 Formula.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:51 PM

I have looked at this TA as well.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
I’m surprised no takers.
The automatic maybe be slowing the buyers down a little.

Did any of y'all looks this car over while you were at the dealership?

1967 Firebird 400/4sp convertible

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthre...light=firebird