Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar Features

Old 02-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to J_D
Default Re: February 2006 Feature Car

I had the pleasure of meeting Ken and Jerri for the first time at the Berger ZL1 Special Delivery in May of 2003. We had lunch upstairs on Sunday and got acquainted. What a guy (and gal). They treated me just like they had known me all my life ! ! ! !

Most recently we (Nancy and I) had the pleasure of dining with them last Labor Day weekend at SCR8 at both the Banquet and then also Breakfast Sunday morning after SCR8 before all of us left to depart for home. At breakfast that Sunday morning, he shared with me another story from his past. This particular story involved "Big Daddy" Don Garlits helping him change out his clutch in a motel parking lot before a big race in Texas. After completing the change, it was so hot they went to the motel swimming pool, stripped down and jumped in. The motel manager was furious as it was late at night and the pool was closed. Kenny said "Big Daddy" jumped out of the pool and confronted the Manager. He asked the Manager if he knew who he was. He said that he did not. "Big Daddy" told him that he better find out because that he "Big Daddy" would own the motel tomorrow. "Big Daddy" stopped by Kenny's room the next day and asked him if he had been down by the pool. Kenny asked "Why, did they close it?" "Big Daddy" told him that no, they had extended the hours ! ! ! !

After this story Jerri asked Kenny "Is your throat sore yet?" This was Jerri's attempt to get Kenny to stop telling us these old stories. He just smiled.

Kenny my friend, I hope your throat never, ever gets sore. We love hearing these stories from your past ! ! !

I think Cumby summarized it correctly above. Kenny, you are a true gentleman and a treasure and credit to our hobby.

If any of you here on the board have not met Kenny, you really should. It will be an experience you won’t soon forget. And you should also see him make a pass down the track as shown below in the photo I took at last years SCR8.

1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SS #742/2091
2001 Phase I Dale Earnhardt Intimidator SS Camaro #68
2002 Phase II Camaro ZL-1 Supercar #17
2010 Silverado LT 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 liter
2011 Tahoe LS 4X4 Sport Utility 5.3 liter
Old 02-02-2007, 09:58 PM

So picture this.....It's September 1970, I'm 14 years old and I'm getting to go to my first drag race ever. I'm all fired up because my (now ex) brother in law is running his blue 69 ZL-1 Camaro in SS/B and as far as I'm concerned "we" have no chance of losing!! We're gonna win the whole thing! We all drove out from Pennsylvania, camped at a drive-in where Clint Eastwood was starring in "Hang 'em High", got tear gassed by the national guard when a riot broke out there.....I even bumped into "Miss Hurst", Linda Vaughn and had her pat me on the head. Between all the hot cars in the pits and the other life changing experiences, I was in heaven!! This was all about to change.
I figured, we just get through class and we have a shot at winning the whole thing! Well, Ken Barnhart was up against him in the SS/B final. Ken strapped a light on him that <u>I'll</u> never forget and just like that it was all over!! The car went back on the trailer and just like that we were headed back home. I wanted to stay and watch the rest of eliminations but it didn't happen.
So thanks Ken for RUINING it for me!.....but obviously, you didn't ruin it, you just showed me what it was all about! Would I be on this website right now if I wasn't hooked for life on that fateful week?
Right now I'm not running anything other than my mouth, but someday....
From what I have heard, that Camaro that lost to Ken has been fully restored to original showroom condition after being tubbed out with a full cage by Ed Quay in it's evolution. It's in the hands of it's 3rd or 4th owner now. That's another reason I check out this site from time to time. That and all of the old names stirring up old great memories. <font color="blue"> </font>
Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I assume you are talking about the dusk blue car from Lafferty Chev.?

At what drag strip did this event happen?

Hatboro.... is it 'Moonlight Memories' or 'Under the Lights' in July - been awhile since I moved out....
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 02-03-2007, 03:09 PM

Ken, Your a super person and a gentlman. NOT one of those guys who brags about what he has. Your past record needs no words, that speaks for itself! Your a hobbist and racer, not a B/Ser. Thanks for sharing your hobby with us!!! BBBenny
Old 02-04-2007, 07:13 PM

I think we could say the same for you Benny!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:29 AM

Classic Photo for a Class Act.............
Old 02-05-2007, 04:16 AM

Let's make Barnhart's car the February 2007 Feature car! Or maybe, Feature Car of the Year!

Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 AM

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Let's make Barnhart's car the February 2007 Feature car! Or maybe, Feature Car of the Year!

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. How about featured "Hobbiest and Gentleman of the Year!"
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 PM

Yes, It was the dusk blue one from Lafferty. I think it went for about $7200 back then. Locally it used to run at Maple Grove, Englishtown and (ugh) Atco pretty often.
The race was at the "original" Nationals in Indianapolis.
They do still have "Moonlight Memories" every year in the summer. They block off a mile stretch of York Road between Horsham Road and County Line Road. It still gets bigger every year.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:04 PM

Hey Cisco,

This link will give you the full lowdown on the resto of your ex-bil's ZL1. The car is now in the St. Louis area. Do you have any old pics of the car?

http://www.69zl1.com/
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)