Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Default One Millionth Vega?

In another post on this board, there was an Orange Vega in the background. This reminded me of a car I saw on a car lot several years ago. It was an Orange Vega GT with Yellow stripes. It was very nice and appeared to be all stock until you opened the hood. It had a V6 with a 4 or 5 speed. In the recessed area of the outer door handles, there was a sticker that said One Millionth Vega.
Later that week, I was in one of the area junk yards and saw another orange Vega GT with the same yellow stripes. This one was sunk in the mud and had been there for a while so I'm sure it wasn't the same one. This one also had the same stickers in the door handles claiming to be the "One Millionth Vega". This one had no engine, but the gentleman I spoke with said when they got it, it had a V6 in it.
I have never heard of these cars until this and have never seen another one.
Has anyone else ever heard of these One Millionth Vegas?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-17-2011, 06:04 PM

Default Re: One Millionth Vega?

Wikipedia has a blurb on it, but no mention of a V-6. I worked for a Chevrolet dealer in the 70's and do not recall a factory V-6.

On May 17, 1973 the millionth Vega was produced at the Lordstown assembly plant — a bright orange GT Hatchback with white sport stripes, power steering, a neutral custom vinyl interior with exclusive vinyl door panels,[20] accent-color orange carpeting and millionth Vega door handle accents. A limited edition "Millionth Vega" was introduced replicating the milestone car. 6500 were built May 1 to July 1.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Thank-You for the information. The V6s must have just been coincidental transplants.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 PM

The Wikipedia writeup does note there were V-6's installed in the 1978 Vega badged as the Monza wagon, as well as other GM rebadges, which were produced on the Vega production line, but just to clarify, nothing about the millionth orange car GT models having a V-6.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I was at Maple Grove/Super Chevy and there was one there. Not sure of the engine but it had the Orange paint/Stripes and the door handles had the "Millionth Vega" Was a stick shift car as well. It had a window sticker with the option.

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 PM

don't believe any Vegas were equipped with anything but 4 cylinders. Found some info on them.. says 6500 were made. Does not mention anything about a v6 either

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/320778...chevrolet-vega

http://www.motortopia.com/car-blogs/...1-of-6500-8783

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.