Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 11-27-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Insuring your car for what it's actually worth...

Lynn, the ol' boy is not quite ready for prime time yet. It did get a bath before the cold set in, but there's still some cleaning to do! Here's a few pics for ya. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

As found:

After Bath:

Old 11-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2013, 08:28 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] </div></div>

Everything Sam said and some more of these guy's... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif[/img]...we going to see it at MCACN.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Mike
Old 11-27-2013, 08:40 PM

... I love that car..... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/Can-I-Have-It.gif[/img]

...Please
Old 11-27-2013, 09:25 PM

Thanked 2,047 Times in 518 Posts

Hi,
Looks like a very cool car. I've been an appraiser since the mid '90s. As you've found, its often hard to find someone local who you feel is qualified to properly appraise certain cars. Further muddying the waters are the proliferation of &quot;inspection/appraisal&quot; outfits whose primary function is to make sure that cars bought on Ebay are not being woefully misrepresented before a lending institution cuts a check. These are the places that send kids out with a checklist and they ask you if your 1969 Camaro has airbags or ABS.

As far as appraisal &quot;certification&quot;, car appraisals are much less regulated than home or even jewelry appraisals. As such, I always tell my customers that they are well served to interview the appraiser and make sure that you're comfortable with their level of knowledge and process. Any process should include trying to procure as many hard data comparables as possible, because that's what really seems to sway arbitrators and courts.

The only certification I've come across in 20 years are the ones offered by whatever appraisal association the appraiser chooses to align with. I chose IAAA (www.auto-appraisers.com) because they were the only one that only focused on specialty auto appraisers. I think they do a pretty good job vetting their members. I've been a member since 1996.

I'm not sure what number you're trying to hit, but if this black car is &quot;all that and a bag of chips&quot;, then you've got a perfect comparable in that white '66 3.07 geared car that just sold. Big money, very similar history, and easily documented.

Good luck,
TOM BRESKE
Vintage Viewpoint LLC
Seattle, WA
Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 PM

Jacquie,
I may very well be missing something here,but for the life of me, I don't understand what you paid for the car has to do with insuring it for its value. I don't have 11 cars with MK (insurance is actually written thru American Modern Ins. Co.), but I do have 6 cars with them and all are covered with what I feel is their true value and it is an agreed value policy. I would think that whether you have 1 car or eleven each car should stand on its own. I bought a 67 435 Corvette in 1980 for $8000 and if they told me I could only insure it for that amount I would tell them to pound sand. NJsteve said it best earlier in that if someone gave you the car then by this reasoning you would have to insure it for zero. I haven't had to supply an appraisal, just pics of the cars, assurance they are in a locked garage and an understanding of mileage limitations. Please let us know how this situation evolves as I am sure the gang here would like to know the final outcome.

BTW. Nice car you scored there. Is it black? That's the 2nd one I've seen in the last week; the other one being the one Jeff Helms recently bought. Saw it at MCACN. Neat car. Your's looks every bit as nice.

Dave
Old 11-27-2013, 10:13 PM

Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,610 Posts

----I have used Hagerty for many, many years and lately (maybe the last two years) they have come to me on both my cars and boats and asked me if I felt I had enough coverage. Of course, this is a bit self serving for Hagerty as a higher value brings a higher premium, but I did rethink a few valuations, especially on the boats as they are probably worth a bit more and also have more chances for possible total loss. I took the calls with a grain of salt, but at the end of the day, Im happy.......Bill S
Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 PM

I'm very familiar with Jeff's new car... and what a great car it is!! Wish I could have made it to MCACN this year to see it in person. And likewise, Jeff is very familiar with my car. His car is a great comparable, but still there are a few differences that do affect value. I guess it's just going to come down to finding an appraiser that not only knows these cars well, but is also willing to seek out the opinions of experts and research private sales, if that's possible.

Mike, yes MCACN next year... that's the plan. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Tom, I might like to visit with you about your appraisal service. I'll send you a PM.

Dave, yes it's black. And John, NO you can't have it! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2013, 01:29 AM

Thanked 4,456 Times in 653 Posts

Nice '66 Jacquie!

1966 Chevy Caprice 427-390
2012 Chevy Camaro RS Convertible]

Old 11-28-2013, 02:44 PM

Thanked 5,366 Times in 1,882 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shevelle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm very familiar with Jeff's new car... and what a great car it is!! Wish I could have made it to MCACN this year to see it in person. And likewise, Jeff is very familiar with my car. His car is a great comparable, but still there are a few differences that do affect value. I guess it's just going to come down to finding an appraiser that not only knows these cars well, but is also willing to seek out the opinions of experts and research private sales, if that's possible.

Mike, yes MCACN next year... that's the plan. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Tom, I might like to visit with you about your appraisal service. I'll send you a PM.

Dave, yes it's black. And John, NO you can't have it! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img] </div></div>

Jacquie wants ME to keep it at my house, I thought! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

Beautiful car Jacquie! Congrats...