Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 11-30-2014, 02:06 AM

Default The next project....1970 Trans Am 400

Just took in my next project.... a 1 owner 1970 Trans-Am 400 4sp with 73,000 original miles. I have to install a drivers side floor pan take it down to bar metal and give it a new paint job. Minor body work this should be a nice winter project.

Who is the best supplier of Pontiac trans am parts?

Old 11-30-2014, 03:34 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: The next project....1970 Trans Am 400

Looks like good car. What part of ny u in ?
Old 11-30-2014, 03:38 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Performance Years or Ames are good suppliers. Avoid Classic Industries.

http://www.performanceyears.com/

https://secure.amesperf.com/

Here is the 70-73 thread forum over at PY:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...play.php?f=437

Lots of good advice on these cars in that section.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 AM

Love those cars and will assuredly own one...
Old 12-01-2014, 12:11 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: auwrestling</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like good car. What part of ny u in ? </div></div>

Just outside of Albany NY
Old 12-01-2014, 12:13 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Performance Years or Ames are good suppliers. Avoid Classic Industries.

http://www.performanceyears.com/

https://secure.amesperf.com/

Here is the 70-73 thread forum over at PY:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...play.php?f=437

Lots of good advice on these cars in that section. </div></div>

Thanks Steve just joined
Old 12-06-2014, 05:08 PM

I always liked to deal with Ames their comparisons of reproduction parts vs original with attention to fit and details was never matched with any other reproduction parts vendors. You knew what you were getting (good, bad, or indifferent) and how much time it would take to alter the reproduction part, they told you upfront .... this is the best available and it will take 5 hours for your body man to fit it correctly.

I know Ames was bought out in the last few years however I hope the policies have not been altered since the business was sold.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, &amp; other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 12-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Well the driverside floor pan and toe board are in.(Pictures to follow) As I get into the car I find more issues as I expected... but I'm sure the owner isn't expecting. So after I joined the Pontiac forum they tell me the car has a 73 nose on it a 1 year only part. I'm like the original owner didn't tell me that. So I asked his friend, did he wreck the car at sometime. He said he sold the car and that guy wrecked it. Then it sat in a garage for 10 years before that guy put it back together. Then the original owner bought it back. I'm not even sure the original owner knows it was wrecked and has the wrong nose on it. I still have to break the news to him. I am going to replace the passenger side front floor pan it's a little thin and has a couple of holes. After I dropped the gas tank because it was leaking I found the trunk floor already has been patched. It needs a new truck pan thanks to the rubber trunk mat. At one time a skin was put onto the drivers side and poorly installed without replacing the outer wheel well or trunk drop off. This will all need to be replaced to do it correctly. He has the funds so I don't think it will be a problem. I just hate to give bad news.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:18 PM

The extended beak portion of the urethane nose on the 73 is little different than the 70-72 nose. And the grill inserts are different as well, they don't fit flush to the opening and sit a couple inches back. The hood latch is also under the bumper on a 73 versus in the driver's side grill insert on a 70-72. All this had to do with the new for 1973 5-mph bumper laws. There is also about 50 pounds of extra steel bracing behind the nose piece on a 73. A 70-72 nose cone won't be that hard to find. Easier than finding a 73.

Post some underhood shots and I can tell you if they replaced the fenders as well.

Here's a 72, notice how the grills extend to the opening? Also, every year had a different grill insert with a different grate texture - 72 had the honeycomb grills.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:30 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonL78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well the driverside floor pan and toe board are in.(Pictures to follow) As I get into the car I find more issues as I expected... but I'm sure the owner isn't expecting. So after I joined the Pontiac forum they tell me the car has a 73 nose on it a 1 year only part. I'm like the original owner didn't tell me that. So I asked his friend, did he wreck the car at sometime. He said he sold the car and that guy wrecked it. Then it sat in a garage for 10 years before that guy put it back together. Then the original owner bought it back. I'm not even sure the original owner knows it was wrecked and has the wrong nose on it. I still have to break the news to him. I am going to replace the passenger side front floor pan it's a little thin and has a couple of holes. After I dropped the gas tank because it was leaking I found the trunk floor already has been patched. It needs a new truck pan thanks to the rubber trunk mat. At one time a skin was put onto the drivers side and poorly installed without replacing the outer wheel well or trunk drop off. This will all need to be replaced to do it correctly. He has the funds so I don't think it will be a problem. I just hate to give bad news. </div></div>

Be very careful when buying the trunk floor and drop offs. A lot of suppliers incorrectly list the Camaro parts as correct when they are obviously not. Also, they try to sell the 1974 and up Firebird dropoffs as good for 70-73 when there are also not even close. If you want me to help you with parts selection I'd be happy to look at your shopping list. I can also guarantee you that it will need a tail panel (a one piece panel which includes the rear valance). They are always damaged and rusty. They only just started reproducing that part a year or so ago.