Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 01-16-2016, 02:19 PM

Default All Original 1962 impala convertible with 61K!

I know it's not a muscle car but I'm sure a lot of you on the site will really respect a car like this. I know I do! Just thought I would share it with you all.

Well after many years of searching my father has a car he says he will never sell. My father owned a 1962 impala convertible, red with a white top from the late seventies into the early nineties. He decided to part with it to buy a business for my mother. I have a lot of memories with that car as a kid. As a family we would go to our little league games and of course he would park it way away from the field. As a kid I would always complain about that but know realize why he did it. Over the years my father has owned dozens of cars; he loves convertibles but never really was attached to any of the multiple convertibles he owned.

He just purchased a 1962 impala red with an original black convertible top with 61k original miles. The original owner past away 2 years ago, and willed the car to his nephew. It’s all original never been repainted its only got a 6 cylinder 3 on the tree but that is really all my dad needs at 70. When we went and looked at the car I was simply amazed at the condition of this car. I’m looking at all the bolts, which show no rust on them. They still have the original plating. I’m looking under the car and see factory under coating with no dirt in it. No mud in wheel wells or frame. The drives side door panel does have a small hole. That is really the only thing wrong with the car. It does have some chips in original paint but the car is in amazing original condition. My father was speech less after he made the deal on the way home. All I could say about it is how could someone keep a car for 54 years and have it look this good?

The owner last night came out with his father to deliver the car to my dad. The only thing my father wanted to do before he purchased it was to drive it. So we had a small window in the old northeast to allow my father to drive it last night. He said he was shaking like a kid on Christmas morning after he started to drive the car. They then went back to my dad’s house and made the deal. The brother of the original owner came with his son the nephew and had coffee with my father. He told my father and I all kinds of stories about his brothers’ pride and joy. After sitting and hearing the stories about the car I fully understand now how this car was keep in this condition all its life. The car was always stored in a heated garage never driven in rain just pampered like a little baby. Well last night we tucked her into her new spot for the winter. My dad said it has been a long time since he has been this happy.

A couple of quick shots before it got dark.

Look at the GM number under the rear license plate…LOL

Original top and rear window!

The best part is my dad is a 62 impala nut and never seen this car. It was only about 30 miles from us.

O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-16-2016, 03:00 PM

Default Re: All Original 1962 impala convertible with 61K!

Very Cool!!!

Good luck, I cant help myself when it comes to original cars!!
Awesome!!!
Old 01-16-2016, 03:52 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Thanks for sharing the way cool story and congrats to you and your family for finding the car of your dads dreams! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,078 Times in 1,322 Posts

Wow that's a great car and a better story. Congratulations to you and your dad!

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 01-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,713 Times in 733 Posts

Great story, congratulations. Looks like a really nice original car.

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 01-26-2016, 05:18 PM

Out-of-this-world cool!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:47 PM

That is so awesome and it sounds like the car went the the perfect home.

Congrats!

Jason
Old 01-26-2016, 09:13 PM

Thanked 1,597 Times in 491 Posts

Jason's Dad is a real car guy and quite a character in his own right...I know he will have a great time with this special 62....and he has Jason to help keep her running and looking good [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Congrats [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Wait till Verne sees this [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/blush.gif[/img]
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 01-27-2016, 04:14 PM

I do like what I'm seeing. There's something about looking at an original car that just makes you want to keep looking. It's like you're being given the opportunity to look through a window into the past. It's amazing that the original top has lasted that well over such a long time. The top well material is something that is not reproduced. The originals are a rubber coated fabric that usually dries out, cracks and flakes away. Features like that are priceless.

Jason, Congrats to your Dad for getting back a car of his memories. I may want to contact you about getting some details from the car if its ok with your Dad.

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2016, 04:47 PM

Vern,

I will send you a PM with my number this car would be a great candidate to document originality for sure. A little up date. I told my father he should get back in touch with the brother and ask him to write up a small letter on the car. Tell us about the history and document the original miles and have it notarized. He agreed. He called me the next day and said no need for the letter. My father was going through the box in the trunk and found a news paper article authenticating from the original owner that in 1994 the car had 59,200 original miles. Currently I think the car has just over 61k. That just blows my mind. In 22 years the car has only been driven just under 2k.