Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

Attached Images

Old 07-23-2019, 10:26 PM

It reminds me a lot of the mid engine cars I will never be able to buy, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Ford GT, Audi A8, etc.
This car has got me excited!
Can't wait to see it in person!

Dave
Old 07-24-2019, 12:38 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Only 2pedals though? That’s disappointing to say the least.
Buddy
11 cts-v black diamond edition wagon 556hp GONE
15 camaro Z/28 white AC brand new
Old 07-24-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Move to LA (or any other big traffic congested city) and then tell me how wonderful driving a stick is.
Yes, I’m sure you’re right. Thankfully where I live we don’t have a traffic light in our whole county...aka stick heaven!

And yes, a flat pane would be cool.

Seems like Corvette is always many years behind others when it comes to this technology. I’m sure it’s all bc of money and keeping the costs down, but DCT, flat pane, mid engine, electric, turbo, etc. have all been out for years now. Eventually, it all tends to finally trickle down to Vettes.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:14 AM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

GM Explains How It Kept The 2020 Chevy Corvette Under $60,000

One of the greatest mysteries surrounding the 2020 Chevy Corvette is how, exactly, General Motors was able to keep its starting price under $60,000. The current C7 Corvette Stingray, this generation’s entry-level offering with 455 horsepower (339 kilowatts), starts at $55,900. And yet, according to GM, the C8’s starting price could be within a stone’s throw of the C7. Motor Authority, also curious about the mental mathematics needed to justify the low starting price, asked GM how it kept the price so low.

General Motors president Mark Reuss told the publication the automaker would spread out the C8 Corvette’s cost over an expanded future lineup. Just like the C7, the C8 will have a “portfolio” of models. The new 2020 Corvette Stingray is just the beginning. Rumors of a hybrid and plug-in model are already swirling online. And there are rumors GM could expand the Corvette model into a brand with a sedan, SUV, and Corvette-based Cadillac offering. That’d be one way to spread development costs. Reuss also pointed to GM’s new Global B electrical platform as another reason for the price.

Corvette Chief Engineer and Vehicle Line Manager Tadge Juechter attributed the C8’s remarkably low starting price to GM’s economy of scale, which allows the automaker to provide a lot of content in the vehicle without having customers pay for extras. Being part of a larger company has its benefits, according to Juechter.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...cid=spartandhp
Old 07-24-2019, 12:08 PM

lotta car for the money
Old 07-24-2019, 12:22 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
GM Explains How It Kept The 2020 Chevy Corvette Under $60,000

One of the greatest mysteries surrounding the 2020 Chevy Corvette is how, exactly, General Motors was able to keep its starting price under $60,000. The current C7 Corvette Stingray, this generation’s entry-level offering with 455 horsepower (339 kilowatts), starts at $55,900. And yet, according to GM, the C8’s starting price could be within a stone’s throw of the C7. Motor Authority, also curious about the mental mathematics needed to justify the low starting price, asked GM how it kept the price so low.

General Motors president Mark Reuss told the publication the automaker would spread out the C8 Corvette’s cost over an expanded future lineup. Just like the C7, the C8 will have a “portfolio” of models. The new 2020 Corvette Stingray is just the beginning. Rumors of a hybrid and plug-in model are already swirling online. And there are rumors GM could expand the Corvette model into a brand with a sedan, SUV, and Corvette-based Cadillac offering. That’d be one way to spread development costs. Reuss also pointed to GM’s new Global B electrical platform as another reason for the price.

Corvette Chief Engineer and Vehicle Line Manager Tadge Juechter attributed the C8’s remarkably low starting price to GM’s economy of scale, which allows the automaker to provide a lot of content in the vehicle without having customers pay for extras. Being part of a larger company has its benefits, according to Juechter.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...cid=spartandhp
Those are the same reasons for cost containment that GM used to use for the special cars made for promotional purposes nearly 30 years ago.

Jim Perkins gave the same reasons for the wild interior in the 1993 Indy Pace car. The pre-chapter indy pace cars featured huge one time investments in interiors and graphics.

Later new designs that did not make any real sense also used this cost containment idea, with the the Sky and the Solstice the SSR and others coming to mind as prime examples of so called "halo" cars where the real cost was borne by everybody else buying product within the GM Line up.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
Molded Fiberglass in Ashtabula, Ohio did the carbon Fiber floors for the car.

The development cost on this car has got to be atrocious. So I am left wondering if they can sell this car starting under 60, how much cheaper could/should the other product lines be?

For comparison the camaro line up should be way cheaper across the board right?7

How much of the value equation here is built around making the car so cheap it is a guaranteed success?
Thanks Lee, looks like my question is now answered.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:03 PM

Pretty good video from EE. Worth the time to watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=E_SH4c-oLUQ
Old 07-24-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstgenaddict View Post
I talked with a recently retired Chassis Engineer for a while at the Corvette Nationals asked him about the C8 engines...
Told him I heard one at Nurburg which had the exhaust note of a flat plane engine... SO
I asked specifically about a flat plane crank engine in the C8... he stated he was not in power trains however his understanding was that the optional engine would be of a flat plane crank design! This explains the design of the engine- people thought the additional driven off the cam was more valves...BET it's a balance shaft.
I recall seeing a tech doc somewhere in the past that said a flat plane crank doesn't work beyond about 5 liters in a V8 engine, that Ford really pushed its limit with the 5.2 Voodoo Coyote. True?