Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Ford-Mercury

Old 08-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I was referring to a restored car with glossy paint, rebuilt engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, wiring, new interior etc. These early fastbacks are no longer selling as they were 7-10 years ago. No Mustangs are selling unless Shelby, K or R code and even those are way down in price. If you sell it for 5k and make money that is great. The new owner will be the one underwater.

Here is a restored in 2009 "body off" 65 Mustang fastback sold for $21k on ebay. Really nice 65-66's fastbacks are now $25-30k cars..that is all they are going for unless cream of crop resto and show paint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Ford-Mu...624757?vxp=mtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post

If I were restoring this to make money, I think I'd do more than just fine. Please show me another fastback 66 Mustang 289 A code with pony interior that you could be driving for less than $5k. This one will be in primer, nice and solid for less than that.

Last edited by whitetop; 08-30-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:42 PM

Thanked 1,947 Times in 499 Posts

Good luck with your project. '66 Fastbacks are my favorite-I've had 4 of them. Better dash, nicer trim, etc. Your transmission is a Borg Warner T10. 1966 V8 4 speed Mustangs were fitted with both T10s and Ford Toploaders. If you're going to drive it I would recommend a T5 conversion. Its ridiculous how well they fit (no tunnel work, stock speedo cable fits into the side and everything) and how much better they drive. They make factory style shifters so you can't even tell when you look inside.

I love Emberglow and Parchment Pony interior. It is very unique to see it with the Beige, but I'd probably shoot the exterior in Emberglow as well-but I like the color a lot.

30k is a bit of a ceiling on these lately, but I would argue that there's an upside to the world market for these cars. Strong demand in Austrailia, Germany, etc. If the currency is strong somewhere, your Mustang will sell.

There's a ton of upgrades available, but if you're interested in keeping a stock suspension setup, give me a PM. I was really happy with the combination of Shelby A arm drop, rebuilt quick ratio steering box, upgraded sway bar, roller spring perches and factory GT springs that I had on my last Antique Bronze/Black Pony GT fastback. It was the first early Mustang I had that I could drive on the freeway at 65 and take my hands of the wheel. (To my earlier point, its in Germany now)
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to tom406 For This Useful Post:
seventieshow (09-02-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom406 View Post
Good luck with your project. '66 Fastbacks are my favorite-I've had 4 of them. Better dash, nicer trim, etc. Your transmission is a Borg Warner T10. 1966 V8 4 speed Mustangs were fitted with both T10s and Ford Toploaders. If you're going to drive it I would recommend a T5 conversion. Its ridiculous how well they fit (no tunnel work, stock speedo cable fits into the side and everything) and how much better they drive. They make factory style shifters so you can't even tell when you look inside.

I love Emberglow and Parchment Pony interior. It is very unique to see it with the Beige, but I'd probably shoot the exterior in Emberglow as well-but I like the color a lot.

30k is a bit of a ceiling on these lately, but I would argue that there's an upside to the world market for these cars. Strong demand in Austrailia, Germany, etc. If the currency is strong somewhere, your Mustang will sell.

There's a ton of upgrades available, but if you're interested in keeping a stock suspension setup, give me a PM. I was really happy with the combination of Shelby A arm drop, rebuilt quick ratio steering box, upgraded sway bar, roller spring perches and factory GT springs that I had on my last Antique Bronze/Black Pony GT fastback. It was the first early Mustang I had that I could drive on the freeway at 65 and take my hands of the wheel. (To my earlier point, its in Germany now)
Thanks for the post Tom. Great info on the Super T10. I appreciate it. Yours sure was beautiful. I'll keep you in mind when I figure out where I'm going with it.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 08-30-2017, 08:21 PM

Thanked 1,113 Times in 327 Posts

my favorite 65 fastback
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2017, 02:58 PM

I love the gold color. Looks great with Cragars.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2017, 04:47 PM

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...281813570.html
Old 09-01-2017, 06:23 PM

At $20k he is a dreamin. Restored ones are only selling for 25-30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker1 View Post