Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2020, 09:35 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthBird View Post
The spare tire deletion message is actually quite common on 1976 Firebird invoices. Just a side note, the photo posted is just the invoice, not a build sheet.

Very interesting that this car was delivered to Cochran Pontiac, a dealership that recently has gained some notoriety as it was the dealership that the very first 1970 GTO, a pilot car and a RAIV model, was sold to.

The buyer of this 1976 Formula ordered the "Rear Seat Speaker" and "Additional Acoustical Insulation" options, but only an AM Radio. They most likely were going to install an aftermarket AM/FM Stereo once they received the car. They could have simply not ordered a radio at all and saved a few bucks, but by ordering the AM Radio they got all the underdash and speaker wiring. Since many Firebird owners wanted a better stereo than what GM could provide, in 1977 Pontiac began offering a "Radio Accomadation Package" option that provided all the wiring and harnesses for an aftermarket radio without having to order a radio.

Very cool Formula by the way!

Mike
YUP. UN9 RADIO ACCOMMODATION PACKAGE. Car came with all the radio wiring / hook ups under the dash and a radio delete plate installed. I've owned a few.

On the spare tire, I have owned two survivior trans ams, a '74 and a '76 both with full size spares that had the original Uniroyal stickers still attached to the tire. Both tires Sourced by the dealership when new when the original owners looked at the space saver spare and said
"I dont want that."