Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 01-21-2024, 01:49 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Super Shifter Handle to OEM

Anyone ever modify one of these handles to work with the OEM Hurst shifter without modifying the shifter? I like the short throw as well as the stock throw. Just looking to look a bit more day 2. 69 Camaro with console.
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry HurstHandle.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-27-2024, 08:37 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

No way you'll get that handle into a 3138 shifter with an unmodified console tunnel and upper plate. Without the console, no problem. But FWIW, the newer bolt stop comp shifters will bolt right up to that handle. I tried the short stick and it was too short of reach from the seat, so I ended up using a Mopar pistol grip with a mid height mount and that was the cats meow. I used that setup in the Day 2 Nova that I did a few years ago. Reach was perfect.

The super shifter body mounts up higher to help with the effective reach, but then you gotta hack up a tunnel to mount the shifter body. The 3138 mounts much lower on the Muncie mounting plate and has an offset, but you'll need to modify things to bolt up that stick, or weld it up with a detent so the stock clips lock it in. Even then, if you mount it in a stock 3138 body using a Muncie plate, it'll be far too low for the reach and the ball will just be a few inches higher than the floor.

You'll need to use another mounting plate to raise the body up.

Last edited by NorCam; 01-27-2024 at 08:46 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NorCam For This Useful Post:
dykstra (01-31-2024), GaryC (01-30-2024), jerry455 (02-04-2024), markinnaples (02-07-2024), olredalert (01-28-2024), PeteLeathersac (01-29-2024), Ryan1969Chevelle (01-29-2024), SuperNovaSS (01-28-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 10:24 PM

Are you back in Alberta Graham?
Old 01-29-2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
No way you'll get that handle into a 3138 shifter with an unmodified console tunnel and upper plate. Without the console, no problem. But FWIW, the newer bolt stop comp shifters will bolt right up to that handle. I tried the short stick and it was too short of reach from the seat, so I ended up using a Mopar pistol grip with a mid height mount and that was the cats meow. I used that setup in the Day 2 Nova that I did a few years ago. Reach was perfect.

The super shifter body mounts up higher to help with the effective reach, but then you gotta hack up a tunnel to mount the shifter body. The 3138 mounts much lower on the Muncie mounting plate and has an offset, but you'll need to modify things to bolt up that stick, or weld it up with a detent so the stock clips lock it in. Even then, if you mount it in a stock 3138 body using a Muncie plate, it'll be far too low for the reach and the ball will just be a few inches higher than the floor.

I put the short Pistol Grip shifter on my Street Super Shifter also and LOVE it!!!

Ryan W31

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 01-29-2024, 11:11 AM

There was a guy making the hardware to mount super shifter 3s to stock consoles. I'll try to remember where I saw them, but he made them look good with no cutting.
GaryC (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post

Thanks for replying. I was going to "TRY" to find a factory stick that was beyond it's usefulness and cut the bottom part off and weld to the short stick. I have the short stick with the holes and after discussing this with member GotGrunt, I may just go with #3914340 that he suggested. Pull my OEM out and store it away. I just need to find one now reasonable. I actually thought about the short pistol grip, but I was thinking about my knuckles. I do like that handle. I'm gonna look at your pic a bit more to decide. I want to stay with the console. If there wasn't one I'd be going for the V gate or equivalent or the Super Shifter 3. Looks like there will be plenty of room to row looking at your set up.

Last edited by GaryC; 01-30-2024 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:30 PM

Gary tell me if this works (the link). If not I'll figure out another way. This looks like what you are looking for.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment
Old 02-01-2024, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igosplut View Post
Gary tell me if this works (the link). If not I'll figure out another way. This looks like what you are looking for.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment

I got that. Can I share this with a member here?

Old 02-02-2024, 12:36 PM

Sure that's why I posted it.
GaryC (02-03-2024)