Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - Canada

Old 09-29-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: ZL-1 Camaro

I'm guessing the guy in Lombard was Ed Cuneen...
Old 09-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Cuneens brother or brother in law.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 09-29-2005, 08:41 PM

Ray....he's a good guy too...
Old 09-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I believe it was Ray who may have actually gotten Ed interested in Camaros, many moons ago. He is a true enthusiast and a wealth of knowledge regarding ZL1s, COPOs, Yenkos as well as many other makes and models of muscle cars
Old 10-02-2005, 12:57 AM

Yes you are correct it's Ray Behrends of Lombard IL.I'm sure he's Ed's brother in law.This documented ZL1 has to be the rarest of the rare(only car to come with delux interor,in fact white houndstooth)also endura bumper tach/gauges,vinyl top etc.I was just talking to Chris Bristol (original Owner)to get the low down on how this car came about.Apparently he says a GM rep approched George Stedlebauer"STEDLEBAUER CHEVROLET EDMONTON ALBERTA"(excuse spelling)and informed him that GM was making a low production of under 70 aluminum block 427 Camaro's.George who liked anything neat said he was in, not knowing what the engine option cost(I mean how much could it be? sound famillar?)he ordered the car.When the car and its invoice showed up he S##T his pants.He claimed the thing ran like a bag of S##T under 3000rpm due to a very restrictive exhaust system.After messing with the car and its $8500 price tag he told GM to take it back.The GM rep called Chis Bristol"BRISTOL MOTORS THREE HILLS ALBERTA" and told him the car was available.Bristol Motors was known around Alberta as a "performance dealership" doing things like 427 novas, camaros etc.(Kinda like a Don Yenko).Chris was interested in the car but not the price as he wanted the motor for his up and coming 1970.5 race car.The rep who was stuck for a customer said "make us an offer" to which Chris said $5500.Well they took it.Chris hooked up the race car trailer and drove the 150 miles north to Edmonton.Getting back to Three Hills without driving it or even starting it the motor was removed and replaced with a new b/b crate engine.The car was next sold to a guy from Saskatchewan who drove away not realizing the rare gem he was about to beat into the ground.As far as the motor, it was put into a brand new 1970.5 camaro race car and raced for several years by Chris Bristol and Rollie Johnston.Chris was asked and complied to bring the drag race car to EDMONTON INTERNATIONL SPEEDWAY to sit as a standby for Eatons CAN-AM racer at the CAN-AM race(though never needed).I saw the short block in GILMORE AUTOMOTIVE CALGARY AB. in 1977 and remembering carrying the block around to the astonishment of the customers(they didn't know it was aluminum and Im not that musculer).Well thats what I know for sure.As far as I know Ray Behrends purchased the motor first and then found the car in B.C.later.Whats happened after that is unknown.Can anyone Ellaberate?And where did this second Canadian ZL1 come from? Sorry my tying finger is about to give out.Later,Steve
Old 10-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Banned

Steve,
I'm sure Ray would like to talk to the original owner of the car if possible. Do any pictures of the car exist from the original owner? It would be great to put the history together on such a rare car. I picked up the ZL1 with Ray years ago after it was painted locally. I hope to see this rare ZL1 finished in the future.
Mark
Old 10-03-2005, 11:23 PM

I asked Chris if he had any pictures of the car and he said no as the car was in and out of his dealership within days.While it's an ultrarare car now, back then it was just an expensive "engine stand" for an all aluminum motor he wanted for his race car.The crate motor was installed and the car was sold just like any car on his lot at the time.Either Chris or Rollie "might" have pictures of the race car the ZL1 was in (if thats of any interest)but thats about it.Steve
Old 10-05-2005, 04:54 AM

This is the car I was seeking up here in Canada.
Although I was apparently 3 weeks or so too slow in finding it before it went south.

I still have an original set of the GM of Canada docs you get from restoration services.

The drag race story is the same story I had heard about it, although I had been told it had been a dragster which recieved the engine.

That car is no doubt the highest optioned ZL-1.
Mark.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:27 AM

any chance those docs can be posted??
Old 10-06-2005, 12:16 AM

It might have been in a dragster later in its life but the First car it was in was the 1970.5 Camaro.Drag raced motors saw numerous installations but the first one was the camaro named"RAT PATROL"(Chris Bristol/Rollie Johnston)and raced mostly at EDMONTON INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY and CALGARY INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY.It probably was installed in a dragster later.Steve