Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Canada to U.S. COPO and EPA

After reading up on Customs and EPA regulations forms for bringing a classic car to the U.S. from Canada, I found that the Exemption E on EPA form 3520 for cars older the 21 years old and built after 1968 only applies if the car is in "original unmodified configuration". What if its a 1969 COPO Camaro that does not have its smog pump and tubes, manifold, and different carb? Does the EPA check all cars on the Transport Truck? do they have all that old info and are they that strict?
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire, Factory all Aluminum V8 Turbocharged and Methanol Injected TURBO ROCKET engine, 4 speed Hydramatic, 4 link rear suspension, 3.36 differential, California car, PS, PB, PW, AC, Jetfire 2 option package.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-04-2015, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Canada to U.S. COPO and EPA

I don't have personal experience doing this but recently a friend bought a non COPO car and said it was no fees no issue

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 03-05-2015, 01:08 AM

I'm going to comment here Greg, but it is all speculation based on "common sense" which Governments don't necessarily have.

First, I do not believe you would have any problem at Customs. They will want to verify the serial number and possibly hold the car a day or two to confirm there are no liens outstanding. I would then think Customs would give you some kind of paperwork saying the car meets their import regulations.

Second, you will then need to register the car in your State. You will no doubt require the Customs documentation and whatever else may be required. These other requirements could vary from State to State. Perhaps this is where your EPA comes in (I certainly don't know). Obviously you should check with your State's DOT to confirm what is required for you to register the vehicle in that State.

I have given the above information based on the fact I have purchased a couple of Musclecars in Florida and brought them back to Canada. Of course, the system may be different depending on which direction is involved.

My recommendation to you is to contact your U.S. Customs and your State's DOT to find out exactly what is required. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:13 AM
Banned

I brought a Copo in to the US from Canada about 7 years ago. I pulled up in the incorrect Nexus (government authorized?) entry lane at the border, they got so pissed off everyone I dealt with forgot to do their job. My enclosed trailer was never even checked. When I entered Canada on the same trip I had a '69Z in my enclosed trailer, also never checked. I'm sure they are much more careful in recent years.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:47 AM

Just did a Canada to US sale transaction last month. All that US customs required was a Bill of sale and the surrender of my registration to the new owner. And one more thing...ALL the paperwork had to be filled accurately, no omissions.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:48 AM

I recently sold my LS6 70 Chevelle to a guy in California and I am in Ontario Canada. This was done November 2014 which was recent.
We both had no problems at all. Duty/Customs charged him Zero dollars at the border. As I think cars this old and being built originally in the USA they will not charge you any fees when an old American car goes from Canada back to the USA.
At both ends we had the car picked up from front door to front door and just filled out a bunch of paper work as he hired TFX Transport that I recommended. I have used them once before to do a Texas to Ontario Canada transport for me before personally and they even have a broker if needed.
Both times I had a very easy experience.

USA to Canada duty is different though as you have to pay the first Tax based on the purchase price right at the Border of Canada and have the original Title sent at a specific border crossing to be cleared as the car crosses the border which takes about 48 hours to clear.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:07 PM

The last time I imported a US car into Canada the US border people said they need the ownership for 72 hours and even if the car is cleared before that they would not release the ownership for 72 hours.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:34 PM

All international business is conducted under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) <span style="font-weight: bold">find someone (broker/lawyer/etc) with UCC experience and you (they) can easily navigate all customs issues.</span> In my experience Border delays are mainly due to errant paperwork, you can have no errors, no cross outs, no corrections, everything must be fully filled out and EXACTLY correct or you must have whatever paperwork overrides whatever is not complete with all signatures, stamps, etc in place. There is no gray area in international trade.

EPA would be another issue however I believe Canada to US for a US made vehicle would be quite easy if all the paperwork was legit and correct. Registration of course would be state dependent.

The black 69 RS/Z was sold to Canada without any smog equipment, Lloyd could elaborate on what he had to do in order to get it titled and registered in Canada.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, &amp; other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos