Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 06-09-2016, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Day 1 & back to Day 2 Exhaust.....

We ran those on a 71 Nova...header mounted. This was a 327 w/ M-22 and 4.88's ..........old skool noise!

BIG
Old 06-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

BIG INLETS, 2" outlet , dual hookups, round flange or Rarely seen Early Square Collector hook up.
Date of manufactor ; March,1969.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:33 PM

Thanked 1,407 Times in 675 Posts

Wow, a Tom Martin sighting! How ya doing Tom?
John 10:30
Old 06-09-2016, 08:30 PM

Just a heads up -- if you're going to bolt them to the collector, make sure you support/hangers in the back end or you'll never keep the header bolts up on the heads tight ... been there, done that. They will bounce around and loosen those bolts. TAZ [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/no.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2016, 12:07 AM

Nope, cutting the flanges off....mufflers are going behind head pipes....then intermediate pipes , tailpipes all clamped &amp; using original style exhaust hangers. The headpipes coned and banded over the STAHL Adjustable Collectors.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:58 PM

I couldn't bring myself to use a muffler bolted direct to the header collector, especially with a 2&quot; outlet.
Not sure of the original purpose of header mufflers, but it sure wasn't for performance. Give me appropriate sized headpipes with a x-pipe or balance tube, and mufflers mounted somewhere downstream. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Let's face it... some of those old Day 2 &quot;improvements&quot; weren't actually well engineered. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2016, 06:07 PM

What was once high tech.........is now obsolete... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img]

My stereo 8-Track and Vigilite were cutting edge......Now there are iPod's the size of a gum stick. I still play it thru my 8-Track!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

BIG
Old 06-10-2016, 06:36 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 68l30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was once high tech.........is now obsolete... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img]

My stereo 8-Track and Vigilite were cutting edge......Now there are iPod's the size of a gum stick. I still play it thru my 8-Track!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

BIG </div></div>

Yup! I totally get building to a theme and trying to capture a certain look. I like your idea of a stock system matted to headers better than header mufflers. Putting a huge restriction right at the collector is never a good idea. Plus, I'm too old and don't like the racket of glass packs on highway cruises. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

If you look at what Mopar did on OEM Hemi cars in the late '60s (balance pipe, large case mufflers, etc), I get the idea that they had it all figured out way back then.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:28 AM

Mark, not a sighting. a whisper is more like it.....a new grandson, a new hobby/business venture &amp; a 'break' have kept me silent....hmmm.
Plus I re did our townhouse top to bottom with ever changing antiques....

Yes, header mufflers were developed for.. . Ummm, show off sound and ummm , ,,, 'budget Ricky racers.,....
The farther away from headers does any muffler perform.
You guys should of seen the 1 5/8&quot; inner dia. toilet plunger glass packs that came with the exhaust kit......they were like a 50 HP choker ......
Big, there isn't just one kinda Day 2 exhaust set up.....True Corvair Turbo mufflers would be a top choice....
2 1/2 in &amp; 2 1/2 out ....not the 'newer ones' set below the back seat bulge right before the floor kick up for the rear end...
Old 06-12-2016, 02:24 PM

It's back together. My extended collectors tied into the 2-1/2&quot; system with little trouble. I did have to pull a head pipe ove a bit, but it worked out well. Now, as far as noise.... It's got some at the rear. I do like the fact that you can't see the H pipe, stock location dumps at the rear, and still use a transverse muffler. The Cons, a bit loud and missing the &quot;correct&quot; look. Is it text book Day 2? No, but it's pretty close. Stay tuned for that to happen down the road.

I have a before and after video, just no way to post.......can't post pics from my phone anymore either. Dumb!

BIG