Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 11:46 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

As to the rear, I suspect the car had some stone chips repaired later in life and picked up a couple of touch ups. These cars were very prone to stone damage from driving so the first thing you would do is get a set of mud flaps for them.

I would say that is a pretty damn good car.

On an unrelated note I am reviewing images from Norwood for the next book and I found two guys on the assembly line building cars - and both wearing togas. Some goofy stuff happened at that plant and that is why we love it.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
What about the holes? Wouldn’t you see the foam? Man you got me thinking I should have done that. I recently found a nOS package tray. I’m just missing the headliner
The factory material had a light colored foam attached. The pinholes are too small to see anything anyway.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
IMO.. after reviewing the paint process in plant the front end of the car looks very consistent with the over spray pattern for that era. Attached please find an image of a 9000 mile 77 Z-28 for a comparison of the tops at the cowls.
I knew you'd have the answer! I guess as the later in the decade we got, the less black paint on the cowl, the car got. :-)
Old 01-25-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
IMO.. after reviewing the paint process in plant the front end of the car looks very consistent with the over spray pattern for that era. Attached please find an image of a 9000 mile 77 Z-28 for a comparison of the tops at the cowls.
Thank you 70 Copo, nice to have a back up to what Charley was thinking in terms of spray patterns. The deal is done and after some paperwork the car will be headed north to Massachusetts. The Seller/Dealer has been beyond accommodating with regards to questions, pictures and details. We talked on Wednesday and he said they were putting new plugs in it just to make sure it was running as it as when it was parked in his garage, kind of refreshing. Could have just as easily sent it up and let me deal with it. Carb has been rebuilt, new fuel, new fuel pump and it sounds pretty good from the virtual test drive we did. This car was on Barnfinds in April 19 and I was watching it on ebay, it went up over $20k but he said he was looking for "stupid money" at the time and decided to hold on to it. A year later I found it on Hemmings and figured it was fate. Be a car I really don't do too much to, drive it and pick at any mechanical gremlins that pop up, sure there will be a few but intend to leave it as it is for the most part.
Thanks again for all of the response, details and inputs on the car, really helped me get this done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daleone3 For This Useful Post:
70 copo (01-25-2020), PeteLeathersac (01-26-2020), Xplantdad (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
The factory material had a light colored foam attached. The pinholes are too small to see anything anyway.
NJSTeve, any thing else you can share on the headliner repair I did one on my C10 and was pretty straight forward. Used the original backing and put on new fabric, is that what you are referring to in your prior post as opposed to installing an entirely new backing?
Old 01-25-2020, 07:08 PM

I notice the F bodies still had the holes in the lower rockers even if they didn't have the WIDE trim in 76.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 01-26-2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleone3 View Post
NJSTeve, any thing else you can share on the headliner repair I did one on my C10 and was pretty straight forward. Used the original backing and put on new fabric, is that what you are referring to in your prior post as opposed to installing an entirely new backing?
The 76 has a giant cardboard form that is used instead of the traditional metal rods that run across the ceiling. The factory used a black (in this case) perforated headliner fabric that was spray glued to the cardboard backing. The foam eventually turns to dust and the fabric it was attached to droops. You can purchase a large section of just the thin foam, spray glue it to the cardboard and then spray glue the original black fabric to the foam. Like a giant Oreo cookie. No need to buy new headliner fabric when the original still is OK.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:30 AM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Headliner in my 73 Z failed the exact same way, and that is how I fixed it as well.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:27 PM

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

Here is the sagging headliner on my 900 mile 74 Z28.
Attached Images

Xplantdad (01-26-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 01:02 AM

has the dash started curling up at the back edge also on the 900 mile z