Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 04-16-2020, 12:18 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Only thing I would change is the heater core. After i traded my first Z/28 to my brother in 1972 or 73 he put a 427 in it. The MT valve cover actually touched the heater hose fitting.

Frankly, if you have a SB heater cover, you already have the right cover. Just punch two holes for the BB heater core. Just not worth the head ache.

I have never had a BB Camaro, so no spring recommendations; but my favorite shock for first gens is adjustable Konis. I have them on my Z.
Another thot is, you live in a reasonable climate, you may want to consider removing the heater box altogether which is keeping with your performance build and could save you a few buck$.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtech View Post
Use factory 14x5" wheels with 67 Dog Dish Caps all the way around in street trim
-Brake/Fuel Lines ( I have brand new stainless sets, was stainless available back then? if not I can sell these too)
I'd run 14x7 or 15x7 wheels. Won't look different, but a lot more tire on the ground.
I'd install regular brake line. SS can be a pain to seat.
Go with aftermarket Al heads. Way too much performance gain from just one change. Heck, you could run a 350 with new Al heads and get BB performance. Make it look original, but the internals don't have to be vintage....
Old 04-16-2020, 05:04 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

I also agree on the SS lines - I was never able to get any to fit (seat) during my resto, and that was back in the mid 90s - sounds like they haven't gotten any better, I've had steel lines on my car for 25+ years and it all looks fine IMHO, as biased as that is.

My old 1969 barn find / racecar, that Kurt will remember, had the original 14x7 up front and 15x10 in back. 67s would've come with 14x6 (wide SS rims) stock I believe.

And I second that it can be a good idea for anything you cannot see / internal performance - wise to be modern, a lot of gains have been made in the last 45 years - vintage for the other stuff. Radial tires being the most obvious, again, IMO.

A friend here went so far as to "disguise" his modern Aluminum BB heads in his gasser by dabbing on JB Weld on the front (all over, but front especially) and texturing it with a damp cloth to give the appearance of cast iron and painted them orange...

Going to be fun following this build! Cheers.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:44 PM

Thanked 1,087 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird812 View Post
Another thot is, you live in a reasonable climate, you may want to consider removing the heater box altogether which is keeping with your performance build and could save you a few buck$.
I thought about this and even have the firewall cover. But happy wife, happy life see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt S View Post
I'd run 14x7 or 15x7 wheels. Won't look different, but a lot more tire on the ground.
I'd install regular brake line. SS can be a pain to seat.
Go with aftermarket Al heads. Way too much performance gain from just one change. Heck, you could run a 350 with new Al heads and get BB performance. Make it look original, but the internals don't have to be vintage....
I agree with the regular brake line. I sold my stainless set yesterday. Thanks for the advice! I do have a finished 0 mile 358ci with about 450-470 horse but it does not go with the theme of the build, so once I break it in it is up for sale to help pay for hopefully a paint job. But yes I did think about getting those aluminum “camel hump” heads and painting them with the block, you couldn’t tell with exception of the port on the head for the temp sensor. But you just can’t beat the cool factor of an era correct big block when you pop the flat hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
I also agree on the SS lines - I was never able to get any to fit (seat) during my resto, and that was back in the mid 90s - sounds like they haven't gotten any better, I've had steel lines on my car for 25+ years and it all looks fine IMHO, as biased as that is.

My old 1969 barn find / racecar, that Kurt will remember, had the original 14x7 up front and 15x10 in back. 67s would've come with 14x6 (wide SS rims) stock I believe.

And I second that it can be a good idea for anything you cannot see / internal performance - wise to be modern, a lot of gains have been made in the last 45 years - vintage for the other stuff. Radial tires being the most obvious, again, IMO.

A friend here went so far as to "disguise" his modern Aluminum BB heads in his gasser by dabbing on JB Weld on the front (all over, but front especially) and texturing it with a damp cloth to give the appearance of cast iron and painted them orange...

Going to be fun following this build! Cheers.
Anthony I’m having a great time and no way could I do this at this speed without your help! We definitely have a vision for this build, “as if two high school knuckleheads built this in their mom’s garage in the 70’s”. Totally makes it fun, way less pressure, and really ups the cool factor. I haven’t seen a Camaro at show yet that’s going to be like our build.

Totally base Mom’s Camaro z21 Bolero Red Paint Job with pretty white pinstripe 230 fender emblems.
14” base wheels with dog dish caps, pretty base red interior, then…
BAM, massive pissed off big block hiding under that modest little flat hood.

The upgrades for safety will be swaybar, springs, shocks, all painted to look factory. Wife wants AC, happy wife happy life so may have to bite the bullet on a vintage air unit. I’ve seen someone use the stock big block cover and have 4 hoses coming out of that same area instead of just the two for the heater core. Was thinking Mark IV under dash but my stewart warner 2 ⅝” triple gauge set is going there end of discussion.

More on the Vision… like parts pulled from corvettes in the junkyard in the 70’s we aren’t even going to clean some of these parts.

Cool parts teaser:
67 Corvette Steering Wheel
67 Corvette Shifter Handle
Period Correct wheels, street trim and drag trim (15x10 rears)
T3 Lights
BB Chrome Valve Covers
163 Intake
Big Block+GM Forged Steel Crank
More to come on the COVID Camaro stay tuned.

-Jose

67 Camaro L78

Last edited by jbtech; 04-20-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:11 PM

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

Air conditioning is going to kill the look you are after. If your wife is anything like mine she won't go anywhere with you in that car anyway.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:26 AM

Jose,

It sounds like you are full steam ahead! That is great to hear.

Jason
Old 04-22-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Air conditioning is going to kill the look you are after. If your wife is anything like mine she won't go anywhere with you in that car anyway.
Agree. You can always pick up the delete plate,idk if 100% correct what the vendors are supplying, maybe some one can chime, should be period correct. IF I kept the car Day 2, was what I was going to do.

Im guessing good call on the brakelines. I've had no issues on later model vehicles, and ss is my prefence. Think I read seating issues come from the older brass blocks. Used oe material on my Z, no problems. My lines were still in great shape,,,and are now hanging in the rafters. But we are talking brakes here, lol.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:43 PM

Ditto on the aluminum heads,,weight saving alone.
Years ago I had $$ in a set of cast 202's, realitively speaking, for not much less then a pair of Dart 208's.

Could be wrong, but thought an aluminum headed bigblock in the weight neighborhood of a cast headed small block. Just something I heard.
The Following User Says Thank You to 32KZ For This Useful Post:
jbtech (06-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32KZ View Post
Ditto on the aluminum heads,,weight saving alone.
Years ago I had $$ in a set of cast 202's, realitively speaking, for not much less then a pair of Dart 208's.

Could be wrong, but thought an aluminum headed bigblock in the weight neighborhood of a cast headed small block. Just something I heard.

Thanks yes I'm looking for a pair of 14011077 heads specifically. I do have a delete plate and will probably run that in the beginning. All the heads I'm finding are way over priced and damaged. I found one pair that looked to be in great shape BUT they filled the coolant passages in the heads... Guess I just have to be very patient.. but I have time.

67 Camaro L78
Old 04-26-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNovaSS View Post
Jose,

It sounds like you are full steam ahead! That is great to hear.

Jason
Jason, I just spotted that ad you had in 2015 for 14011077 Heads! I'll take them! jk

67 Camaro L78

Tags
1967 camaro, 427, big block, sleeper, z21