Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Garages/shops..

Old 09-20-2020, 03:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default Choosing a compressor.

Well, I had a line on a giant Quincy commercial (way overkill for my needs) air compressor with a brand new Baldor motor and built in drier. Like I said, overkill, but it was really cheap. But, since it took the local power company 8 months to approve my request for 400 amp service with 3 phase, it doesn't look like it is available. I didn't want to pull the trigger until I was 100% I would have the service to support it.
I tried contacting the seller, bu there is now no service to the only contact number I had.

So, looks like I will be shopping for a compressor.

MOST of the time will just need for light use. I have a five hp Speedaire in my garage (up at the house, not in my shop) that would work fine. HOWEVER, I will be using a cabinet sand blaster, AND will likely ad a vapor blaster as well. Not likely going to run both at the same time, but certainly could happen, especially when my grandsons get a little older. They love helping.
I have plenty of room on the "warehouse" side of my workshop to add a spray booth, and may do that. Obviously the need for air increases. Also, I will pipe air to the other end of the warehouse, where we are building a wood work shop for my son and his wife.

The giant X factor is this: I have a huge open outside area to the West of my shop where I could blast a car frame from time to time. So, I am thinking I want at least 10 hp.

Needs:
3 phase
120 gallon tank
Also want a drier and auto drain.

I am fine buying used, if I find the right deal.

If you are sharing pics and descriptions of your compressor, please give me model numbers and specs.

Suggestions?

BTW, I promise I will be posting updates on my shop soon. It is just that I am working so hard on 3 fronts right now, I simply don't have time to document the progress. But, getting close.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:35 PM

Anyone out there (other than Lloyd, whom I have already made contact) no one has a compressor 10 to 20 hp with any reports, good bad or ugly?

I have been told that Quincy is just a shadow of its former self, and that the new machines aren't very reliable.

Hear good things about Curtis and Champion. I think Champion makes stuff for Gardner-Denver.

Any help appreciated.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:41 PM

If you already have a good functioning 5HP, why not just add another 5HP that you can fire up when needed? That way you aren't running extra HP when not really needed. At the factory where I work, we do this on a larger scale; 2 50's and a 100. we alternate the 50's on off shifts and run the 100 plus an automatic kick in to one of the 50's during day shift. The nice thing about this is if one of the 5's need some work, you aren't out of air completely. The downside is it does take twice the floor space. You can also stagger the cut-in pressure to lighten the electrical load. A compressor takes most of the energy during start-up.
The Following User Says Thank You to BCreekDave For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (10-23-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 07:32 PM

I thought about that. The 80 gallon 5 horse single phase in my garage (old Speedaire) fits nicely where it sits. I have air lines already run, and really don't feel like moving it to the shop. I would have to replace it with something else.

Besides, I really want to run 3 phase at the shop. The kicker is that when I bought it, it had a 3 phase motor on it, but we didn't have three phase at the old house. I sold the motor for $50 (I had no way to test it, and just wanted it gone).
Old 09-23-2020, 09:24 PM

Looking at screw compressors as well. Most show max psi of 125. MOST of the time, that is more than enough. Other than air shocks on the El Camino (which can take as much as 175 psi) anything around the shop I would need more than 125 psi?

The old Speedaire in my garage was preset to 175, but I adjusted it down to 125 eight years ago. Never have needed to mess with that, as it has always been adequate.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:22 AM

Lynn, FWIW, I bought a Champion 80 gallon for home about 15 or so years ago. Its a 7.5HP single phase with a 2 stage pump, after cooler, low oil shut off and auto tank drain. I like it because it's very heavy duty, serviceable, has a Baldor motor and made in the USA. They make a 3 ph version and larger or horizontal units. I keep it regulated at 125 but it fills to 150psi. I had to replace the auto tank drain with an updated version this year and I'm not sure it works as well as the old style and may add an electronic one.

We use Champion compressors at work and are, sadly, neglected and outdoors under a roof but they work every day. There is a screw type at the body shop but I don't know much about it other than they trust it run a very large, modern shop.

John
Old 09-24-2020, 03:08 PM

There is a lot of air compressor info on the Garage Journal. The thread to search for is; "Help with compressor choice"...

The guys/gals on there are very knowledgeable and will give you solid advice.

Cal
The Following User Says Thank You to ZAPPER68 For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (09-24-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 04:03 PM

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,346 Posts

If you have the 3 phase now, or can get it, you are most likely better off with that as the power source. I have a blast cabinet and my IR 5hp 175 lb compressor runs nearly non-stop to power that.

As for blasting a frame, I'd bet you would only do it once, as I did, with a 100 lb pot blaster. I had the frame on a huge tarp and kept sweeping up the sand, screening it and re-using it until it was dust. I started with 300 lbs and after 12 HOURS of non-stop work, I had run thru the equivalent of 900 lbs of sand. Never again. It's cheaper to just take the frame to a baster and then paint or have powder coated, as I have done twice now, for around $100.

175 lbs in your air shocks... Isn't that like putting steel struts in their place for ride quality ?? Sounds really high.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post

175 lbs in your air shocks... Isn't that like putting steel struts in their place for ride quality ?? Sounds really high.
I only go over 150 when I have a really heavy load on the trailer. The shocks are rated min 25 psi to 175 psi. It rides surprisingly well, with a heavy load.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:33 PM

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I only go over 150 when I have a really heavy load on the trailer. The shocks are rated min 25 psi to 175 psi. It rides surprisingly well, with a heavy load.

Ah, ha, I thought maybe you were jacking it sky high on the weekends for your L60x15 Mickey Thompson's on chrome reverse wheels...