Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-23-2009, 04:38 PM

Default '63 Vette Knockoffs

We are having an impossible time removing the knockoffs off my car. My mechanic says he is not sure the lead hammer will help. Is there any tool that has been developed to help with this?

Any advise would be helpful.

Regards,
Dan

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 412749-LeadHammers.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,618 Posts
Default Re: '63 Vette Knockoffs

-------Thats what you are supposed to use IS a lead hammer. But if you are convinced they are truly stuck, pry the caps off, get a can of WD40, and spray into the threads. A heat gun will help the oil get further into the thread. Obviously, dont use a flame. The factory lead hammer is totally useless as you will run thru the thin layer of lead and then start denting the spinners so you need a better lead hammer. I made my own 30 years ago, but there are plenty of good ones available.......Bill S

------I hope I dont need to point out the off on the spinner, but thought I would mention it just to be safe
Old 07-23-2009, 05:36 PM

What "off" on the spinner????

Thanks for the info. Any tips on taking caps off?

Dan

Old 07-23-2009, 05:58 PM

------Dan,,,There should be an OFF with an arrow to tell you which direction to whack the spinner. OFF should be stamped on the body of the spinner between two ears once per spinner. Its possible that the spinners have been replated and the OFF has been obliterated.
------Dan,,,I just had another thought. If these are reproduction KOs you have a different problem. Repops have a lock pin that is hidden by the center cap. It actually is supposed to keep the spinners from coming loose. In that case you will still have to pull the caps off and get the rolled pins out.
------Getting the caps off is fairly easy after the first one. Get the smallest screw-driver you have and go between the cap and spinner and pry. Will you damage the spinner? Maybe!!! But it has to be done. If you take your time you probably will get away with minimal damage. Repop center caps are made in China and are chrome plated. If damaged, they can be replaced fairly cheaply. Original center caps are stainless and can generally be repaired and repolished if necessary. If you damage one of them beyond repair I probably have a used but usable extra that you can have.......Bill S
Old 07-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Bill,

Thanks so much! You were absolutely right about the lock pin. We are cranking now! Just need some OEM front and rear brake hoses now (see Parts- Wanted below).

Thanks again,
Dan

BTW- just kidding about the "off" part!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:47 PM

-----Dan,,,Google "Long Island Corvette" and either order them online or find their ph.number and call 'em. Fast delivery almost always!........Bill S

-----Just thinking here, Dan. I used the term rolled pin, but what you probably found was a soft aluminum pin. Its my experience that those soft pins arent the answer. Go to a good local hardware and find a rolled pin the same diameter and use those. Much better choice .......Me!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:23 PM

Bill,

Thanks for all of the advise. If ever in Indy, stop in and I owe ya a cold one!

Dan

Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 AM

The lead hammer furnished with the car is for one-time emergency roadside use; you need a "Muther-Thumper" REAL lead hammer. Google "Muther-Thumper" and you'll get hits on where to order one - all the Cobra guys (and experienced Corvette KO wheel guys) use them. Photo below of the "Muther-Thumper" on the left and the hopeless one-time-use hammer on the right.

Virginia Vettes and Long Island Corvette Supply both carry a neat rubber suction cup tool to remove the decorative emblem/cap from the spinner without tool damage.

Attached Images

Fathom Green

CRG