Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: BFG Radial TA's vs. GY Polyglas bias plys

Have to agree with the bias ply crowd. To go a bit further, if you don't like the ride with bias plies and go the radial route, well then you have might as well modify the suspension for tighter, safer handling (why not coil overs?) and IRS will ensure safety when hitting a bump when you turn a corner, then you have to fit disc brakes all the way around to ensure stopping from 60 mph in 120 feet or less, then you have to install air bags in case you bump into something, then pretensioners on seat belts, then..... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2015, 04:03 PM

This is exactly why I wish somebody would make the Goodyear Eagle ST tires again. Great looks similar to Polyglas with the benefits of the radial tires for driving. We have beautiful summers here, but studded tires are legal in the winter causing 2 deep groves in our roads that are no fun for muscle cars. Funny how many guys put Poly's on to sell the car, and the new owner takes them right off after the first drive.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:01 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyingn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow I can't believe how different everyones opinions are. </div></div>

Yep, here is yet another.. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img]
I have had both tires on my 69 L78 Camaro. And it was a better handling car with the radials, and I do go on the freeways some.
So a few yers ago I switched to Goodyear Widtreads. And they make the car look 100% better. It is hard to beat that OE look. The Goodyears perform well the smoother the roads are, the cornering will suffer some, and that depends on your driving.
If you go the bias ply route I do not think you will be sorry knowing going in there is going to be some handling differences, but it's not horrible.

Mike
Old 03-03-2015, 05:08 PM

Yep -- I'm almost 70 years old and I damn sure have no problem with &quot;old school&quot; vs. modern technology. Most of the arguments here are valid -- to each their own trumps all.

We won't even start on installing new LS type engines in old iron -- I know, I've probably started a $hit storm over that comment!

TAZ
Old 03-03-2015, 05:36 PM

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2015, 05:50 PM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 331 Posts

A car of this rarity and quality deserves to have the proper bias ply tires. Let's be real...these cars rarely are driven hard and they certainly aren't known for their fine handling characteristics!

Just my personal opinion, but I really hate seeing radial tires on prime examples of 60's and early 70's muscle cars.

BTW...isn't it time for you to join us with your Torino at MCACN? I love that car! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif[/img]

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com
Old 03-03-2015, 05:56 PM

BTW...isn't it time for you to join us with your Torino at MCACN? I love that car! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif[/img]
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Frank,

You better open the MCACN website and begin the registration process [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 03-03-2015, 06:54 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS4Real</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is exactly why I wish somebody would make the Goodyear Eagle ST tires again. Great looks similar to Polyglas with the benefits of the radial tires for driving. We have beautiful summers here, but studded tires are legal in the winter causing 2 deep groves in our roads that are no fun for muscle cars. Funny how many guys put Poly's on to sell the car, and the new owner takes them right off after the first drive. </div></div>

I have a set of those on my '69 L78, on a set of 5-spoke Cal Custom mags. I have had several offers to buy them.
'00 Camaro SS Convertible
'04 Harley FXST
'80 Chevy Blazer (My first new vehicle)
Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

I would have to agree on the Bias plys being what these cars need. I have them on my A12 Bee, just put them on my 64 Corvette, and will be ordering them here shortly on my 70 T/A. Although these don't look overly bad, they just aren't correct. Every classic I had I ditched whatever radials were on there and went with the bias plys. There is no doubt the feel, quietness, and handling characteristics of radials are better than the older Bias plys, but as far as look and nostalgia? You can't beat it. Plus, it's not like you're taking flawless tires off and throwing on a set of Fred Flintstone concrete disks with wood hubs. The tires handle fine and ride nice. I'll be ordering my set of correct Bias from Rusty here shortly, but first I'm going to try my hand around an autocross with these radials before swapping them out. Why not? Might as well scuff those puppies up, Sam Posey style baby!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

So that's my opinion. You asked. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/whistle.gif[/img] Well, you didn't ask me in particular. But you did pose a question on the internet which means everyone posts their opinion, and I'm an everyone, so that's my opinion! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img]

Cheers
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2015, 02:08 AM

I am drawn more to a car at a show with correct bias plys. It lets me assume the car is more correct and restored to a higher level.