Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 10-10-2022, 02:21 PM

Default Pontiac High idle question

1976 Pontiac Formula, 400 4spd. 9000 original miles so have been working thru a range of repairs over the past year due to the lack of use. The carb has been rebuilt and it runs very well but having issue with high idle and choke not kicking down. Fuel system is new. Rather than hucking parts at it, thought I would ask some of the great tech folks here.
Engine is original and never been out, fuel system is new and no obvious issues under the hood, have check vacuum etc.....
In looking at some of the resources, could it be an Idle Solenoid or a Choke Pull Off assembly? Idle sits around 1100 RPM and will not kick down.
Much of what has been replaced is due to age so any thoughts on what I might look at first very much appreciated.
Thank you!
Scott
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-10-2022, 10:50 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleone3 View Post
1976 Pontiac Formula, 400 4spd. 9000 original miles so have been working thru a range of repairs over the past year due to the lack of use. The carb has been rebuilt and it runs very well but having issue with high idle and choke not kicking down. Fuel system is new. Rather than hucking parts at it, thought I would ask some of the great tech folks here.
Engine is original and never been out, fuel system is new and no obvious issues under the hood, have check vacuum etc.....
In looking at some of the resources, could it be an Idle Solenoid or a Choke Pull Off assembly? Idle sits around 1100 RPM and will not kick down.
Much of what has been replaced is due to age so any thoughts on what I might look at first very much appreciated.
Thank you!
Scott
Scott,
First thing to check is the choke blade all the way open (straight up and down) when it is totally warmed up?
If not, the choke thermostat is set to tight or something is binding. If so, the fast idle cam on the passenger side is either sticking or miss adjusted. A good starting point is when the car is totally warmed up to engine temperature and blowing hot air out of the heater, the choke blade should be straight up and down, set the high speed idle cam at it's highest point and adjust the rpm to 1800 rpm. You can look up all the specs of your carburetor by the carb number on a google search. Hope this helps.

Bill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Block Bill For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (10-10-2022), 69M22Z (10-11-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 11:32 PM

Thanked 1,610 Times in 495 Posts
Post High Idle...

Bill's instructions are a great start...always cover the basics before getting too far down the road.

If you still have questions...I suggest reaching out to Eric Jackson [Vintage Musclecar Parts]. He is the best in the business on carbs for GM muscle cars.

-wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 10-11-2022, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big block bill View Post
scott,
first thing to check is the choke blade all the way open (straight up and down) when it is totally warmed up?
If not, the choke thermostat is set to tight or something is binding. If so, the fast idle cam on the passenger side is either sticking or miss adjusted. A good starting point is when the car is totally warmed up to engine temperature and blowing hot air out of the heater, the choke blade should be straight up and down, set the high speed idle cam at it's highest point and adjust the rpm to 1800 rpm. You can look up all the specs of your carburetor by the carb number on a google search. Hope this helps.

Bill
1800 rpm.....???
Old 10-11-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block Bill View Post
Scott,
First thing to check is the choke blade all the way open (straight up and down) when it is totally warmed up?

Bill
Thank you Bill, really appreciate the insight, will follow your lead and share where I end up, appreciate it!!
Old 10-12-2022, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1vette View Post
1800 rpm.....???
Yes 1800 rpm is the most common setting on a warmed up, choke off, fast idle cam setting on the highest step. I went to a GM Class back in 1978 on drive ability and that's what i learned. It also had me buy books (2 - 10 inches thick) covering everything carbureted in the GM line from 1938 to 1987?. I have since sent them all to Eric at Vintage Muscle Car for his collection, he is the person who deserves to have this history.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Block Bill For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (10-12-2022)