Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2018, 07:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 69 Chevelle SS front disc brake bleeding

Lately I have been going through the brakes on my Chevelle including flushing the brake fluid with fresh DOT 3. When I went to bleed the front brakes I never got what I would characterize as acceptable flow without bubbles. I used a hand pump Mighty Vac bleeder. When I finished as best I could with the bleeding I had an acceptably firm pedal. The front wheels spun relatively freely after several cycles of applying the brakes. When I test drove the car (did not exceed 30 mph) it drove and coasted nicely........for the first 10 minutes, then the front calipers began to bind increasingly worse as time went on. They were not overly hot by the time i got back to the house, i.e. I do not think that I "boiled" the brake fluid. I had my master cylinder rebuilt recently by White Post. I rebuilt my pressure metering valve (located next to and below the master cylinder) myself with a rebuild kit. I also lubricated the bushings and pins on the calipers to ensure that they were not binding. I learned something new when I read the chassis repair manual (see attached photo) where they recommend depressing the plunger on the pressure metering valve when bleeding the front brakes. I haven’t tried this yet but wanted to get input from some of the Masters out there on things I might have missed. Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by mockingbird812; 03-22-2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Add
Attachments - The Supercar Registry Nova resized.jpg Hold Off Valve metering valve (3).jpg 80DEC578-A92B-4C1E-A8CE-8C2FC1F9122C.jpeg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...