Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-02-2018, 12:46 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Zl1

I agree with Mr.Yenko.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
Speaking of an 89 IROC, I am going to pick up another car tomorrow, Flame Red L-98 car.

344 original miles.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,078 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yenko View Post
On the price of the ZL-1 bidding to $380.000. What I have observed over the years is any good car doesn't need to be SOLD through a auction house. They trade between the big collectors so no one knows there business. Auction cars are what I have felt to be the leftovers if that makes any sense. Just my opinion

To make a blanket statement that auction cars are leftovers in my opinion is simplistic and just wrong. Many spectacular cars have been bought and sold at auctions. An auction is just another method to buy and sell cars. There is certainly a risk selling at a no reserve auction because the attendee's at the auction set the market (at that time and place) so there is risk, but also reward if you have at least two must have bidders. Obviously auctions can produce tremendous sale prices for sellers.

I will say I see many cars relisted on ebay auctions and other outlets and I would consider those "leftovers". The car in question had not been for sale for years and certainly not a leftover. Those who attended either were not in the market for a ZL1, or didn't like the options or restoration.

The only issue I have with an auction is the ability to really examine the car beforehand. If I had already examined a car and the seller wanted to sell at auction I certainly would have no issue bidding to my comfort level.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com

Last edited by Steve Shauger; 11-02-2018 at 03:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Shauger For This Useful Post:
YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 01:44 PM

I don't believe in the market dying syndrome. If that were true all the brass era cars would be worthless right now. All the desirable muscle cars will still bring money for years to come.

Cool ZL1. Options don't bother me at all. I wouldn't kick it out of my garage. I mean common, it's a ZL1!!
The Following User Says Thank You to x33rs For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x33rs View Post
I don't believe in the market dying syndrome. If that were true all the brass era cars would be worthless right now. All the desirable muscle cars will still bring money for years to come.

Cool ZL1. Options don't bother me at all. I wouldn't kick it out of my garage. I mean common, it's a ZL1!!
Agreed, look at the supercharged Duesenberg that sold for 20 million at Monterey, twice its estimate. The best of the best musclecars will continue to escalate in value for many years to come.
Big Block Bill (11-03-2018), purple panther (11-03-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Agreed, look at the supercharged Duesenberg that sold for 20 million at Monterey, twice its estimate. The best of the best musclecars will continue to escalate in value for many years to come.
I agree too. I do think some of the more moderate higher production number cars could come down.
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:44 PM

There was one buyer there but it takes 2. Who knows how far the top bidder might have gone.I wonder how many people in the country have the means and are in the market for a ZL1. 10, 50, 500? Whats your guess? I would say less than 25 are currently looking for a ZL1 to add to their collection. Of course their are other buyers that would buy to flip.
The Following User Says Thank You to 61 vert For This Useful Post:
ORIGLS6 (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 02:36 AM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

Plenty of good cars come to auction without being shopped before hand. Many times there are multiple wanting the same car and the easiest way is to send it to auction. I had not heard of # 4 being offered anywhere before this auction. I kinda also believe the prices are down across the board on ZL1's right now. Seems they are not the "Flavor of the Week". I have no clue if they will rebound. After a week at SEMA it seems the flavor of the week is old 70's-80's pickup trucks. Man there are a ton of them being fixed up. It's like they are the next 32 Ford or Camaro.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:47 PM

Oh yeah.. Just like one certain Gold Yenko that sold at auction for well below its value. I believe that person lost more then his shirt in that DEAL. Oh trust me there is so much interest for your car.. don't worry and BOOM where were all the bidders. You guys know as well as I that ALL the TOP SHELF cars do not sell at Auction. Again just my OPINION
Old 11-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,078 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yenko View Post
Oh yeah.. Just like one certain Gold Yenko that sold at auction for well below its value. I believe that person lost more then his shirt in that DEAL. Oh trust me there is so much interest for your car.. don't worry and BOOM where were all the bidders. You guys know as well as I that ALL the TOP SHELF cars do not sell at Auction. Again just my OPINION

Auctions are a gamble if it's no reserve period. No one is disputing cars sell privately, but certainly your assertion that auction cars are leftover is not accurate for many cars bought and sold at auctions. People bring them to auction because of the exposure they receive and the hope on capitalizing. If your car in a no reserve auction you roll the dice, and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. A great deal depends on the venue and timing of the market. Owners should know going in what the risks are. Let's move on you made your point.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com