Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-03-2021, 05:40 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts
Default Anyone have a older 2010+ Camaro or 2008+ Challenger? (son's daily driver needed)

I couldn't be prouder! :-) My son wants to upgrade from his '06 Honda Civic to a 2010 to 2015 Camaro, or 2008 to 2013 Challenger. Anyone out there have a low-priced, dependable driver quality example they want to see in the hands of a next generation enthusiast?

We drove 65 miles to look at a nice 2011 Camaro V6 this morning - great un-hit body and interior. They started it and we could immediately hear the cracked catalytic converter and a weird clicking sound coming from the back of one of the valve covers. Passed on that one. Of course the dealer said "I have no idea what you mean? Our mechanic goes over everything and if he heard that he would have fixed it"

...Yeah your mechanic heard it, he probably told you about it... and you didn't want to spend a couple thosand dollars on a new exhaust with the built-in cats. (Not to even mention the clicking variable cam timer that's going bad...)

Oh well, anyone have anything out there?

The boy prefers an automatic (oh, the shame)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry thumbnail_IMG_0130 a.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0129 a.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0128.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0127.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-07-2021, 10:56 AM

So we found one!

The boy has been doing all the research on the various car selling sites. We looked at a white 75,000 mile, 2011 Camaro LT V6 on Saturday that was 65 miles away in Southern NJ. We get there and it is housed inside with their other cars in a boutique dealership. Nice layout. The body and interior are perfect. They get the car outside and when they start it up I immediately hear a problem. There is at least one busted catalytic converter. You can hear the leak from the cracked weld. And also there is a clicking sound from the back of one of the valve covers - a failing variable cam solenoid most likely. We take it out for a test drive and you cant not hear the exhaust leak(s). After the drive we go back inside and I tell the owner about it. He says: "We have a local mechanic who checks out all our cars and fixes whatever is needed. He doesn't work for us so he has no vested interest in underreporting".

Sounds logical but there is no way he couldn't have noticed the noises. What me and the boy deduce is that the mechanic told them about the problems but that they were so expensive to fix, it would have added $2,000 to the price and cut into their profit margin, big time. I was so proud of my son when he said "You got to know when to walk away". :-)

We get home and he goes back to the web and expands his search to 200 miles. He finds a bunch of cars in Virginia. UGH! One in particular is a 2014 Camaro LT V6 in Blue Ray metallic (An almost black color with heavy blue metallic tint). It has 85,000 miles. Carfax checks out with the local Virginia Chevy dealer oil change visits every 3000 months since new, and zero collision history. It was a local car with two local owners that a Dodge dealer took in on trade in May. It has been at the Dodge dealership for almost two months so they were losing money on it it with their floorplan financing eating away at any profit margin.

We drive 225 miles on Monday and get there. It was a very nice car. Nice dealership though they tried their best to pull the usual price add-ons. They tried to convince me there was a $1000 coupon that ADDS $1000 if you don't finance. You gotta be kidding me? - raising the price if you pay cash??? LOL

We told them in no uncertain terms that was a deal breaker. So they got rid of that but we couldn't remove the $399 Lojack unit that they install in every car. I told them to remove it but they wouldn't budge on that one. In the end we got the car for $250 less than the asking price because it had some minor issues like the tire monitor system was showing a fault (turns out someone replaced all the valve stems with old style rubber valve stems, hence no signal). Needs rear brake pads soon and the front tires were from 2016 and showing age cracks. And it had an aux port for the radio that wouldn't acknowledge a plugged in device. (It turns out that 2010 to 2015 Camaros have a base model radio that only charges a phone through that port and allows phone calls but not music uploading - so we ordered a cheap bluetooth adapter for the cigarette lighter socket)

I drove it back to NJ with the boy following behind in our other car. It's a wonderful car actually and the color is killer! The wife already is plotting to steal it from the boy.

He is quite pleased with himself and his purchase and has now fully drunk the Coolaid when it comes to being a car person. (Mission accomplished)

It got 30 mpg on the trip home. That V6 is rated at 323 hp, has 11.5 to1 compression and runs on regular! Holy crap! Whatsup with this modern technology???

I'll post some photos later today.

Last edited by njsteve; 07-07-2021 at 11:02 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
dykstra (07-08-2021), markinnaples (07-07-2021), olredalert (07-07-2021), scuncio (07-07-2021), Tenney (07-08-2021), Xplantdad (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,076 Times in 1,321 Posts

That's wonderful, and kudos to your son!!!!

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 07-07-2021, 01:54 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Yes, very cool. One of us, one of us, one of us.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:56 PM

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,035 Times in 341 Posts

My 2010 has been great, should take him a few days to figure out the blind spots, not a big deal. Stock these things have nice build quality.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:47 PM

The V6 version of those is a pretty nice driving car.

As noted, the blind spot... Its like driving a 2 story house looking thru the mail slot.
Make sure he always makes more than a quick glance, because something can be behind the mirror and windshield post for quite some time.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:10 AM

Here she is, right after we bought it, still in the dealer's parking lot in Chantilly Virginia.

Today we added the stick-on blind spot convex mirrors to the outside mirrors, changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, serpentine belt, and pulled an oil sample to send off for analysis. I also ordered the tire pressure sensors from rockauto. They should be here next week so we can then install them and rebalance the tires. And a new set of sparkplugs are coming next week. ACDelco is having all sorts of rebates at the moment on various filters - oil/air/cabin and spark plugs, so I think i basically got all the filters and spark plugs for about 1/2 the actual cost after rebates.

We also pulled the aftermarket tubular grill off the car since they are illegal in NJ if they block the headlights. We ordered a new black bowtie emblem for the grill (the original gold one was removed to install the tubular grill)
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 07-08-2021 at 01:16 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
dustinm (07-08-2021), dykstra (07-08-2021), L_e_e (07-08-2021), markinnaples (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 02:21 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Nice!
Old 07-08-2021, 04:52 AM

Good looking ride. Congrats.